Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday a hugemungous box arrived from Modell-Land in Germany. On it's end it is the size of a washing machine.
View attachment 251925

When I saw the Modell-Land.de sticker and box size I was expecting a HSB mallet with lots of outer box padding.
Train-li in the USA sell the exact same TrainLine45 points but as ProSwitch in different TrainLine45 marked boxes only half the height.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
While it is not exact, one of the most useful references I've come across for g gauge curves is on the Trainli site under switches which lists curves in ascending order from all the major manufactures and includes their respective "R" numbers. I was going to post a link but couldn't find one that was direct. Go to "trainli">"track ,switches, tools">"switches" and you can see the table.

Phil S.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Proline will never catch on!

Not with a sensible numbering system like that! :rolleyes:

So, did Aristocraft only ever make the two radii? - I ask, as I have some (I believe, no markings) large-radius curved points, supposedly Aristo.. :think:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So, did Aristocraft only ever make the two radii? - I ask, as I have some (I believe, no markings) large-radius curved points, supposedly Aristo.. :think:

Three - R1, Extra wide, and #6 ........... and not any curved points to my knowledge

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Ian..

Perhaps I am thinking of the Aristo curved tracks? - I know I have a shed-load (literally! ;) ) of the stuff. - Problem is, they never marked-up their track, so working out if it is a set radius, or a length of flexi, that has been custom-curved, is a PITA! :(

Anyways..............
To the OP:
I think the point (no pun) of the large box, and extra packaging, is that long-ish thin boxes get bent in transit.. So to avoid your points arriving damaged, they over-protect them. :think::think:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
- Problem is, they never marked-up their track, so working out if it is a set radius,

And they used standard sleeper sections under purgatory for different radii - so, no you won't know what you've got unless you have some flexi-templates, or a length of string and a tent peg ;);)

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Train-Li did a good thing but IMO they should have flipped it to the architectural designation, 2R, 3R, 4R etc. for radii to avoid giving exactly the same name as a differently-sized track from LGB or Piko.

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Paul. Did you fix the slightly faulty Trail-li one?
The one via the below link on Train-li.com has been incorrect on the first few lines since the year dot. I informed them ages ago but... :tmi:
There are no 1ft radius points. Straight G-scale switch
The main Switches landing page (G-scale switches) has been corrected but the sub-pages (Straight, Curved) are still incorrect.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Even that has the Aristo Extra Wide in the wrong place - should be 5' radius :nod::nod: ............... I think :think::think:
Yes, the X-wide points match Aristo's "10-foot" (diameter) curves (actually 3000 mm diameter, or 9'10").
Overlaying an LGB R3 on an Aristo X-wide displays a distinct difference in the radii.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've used several Trainline45 points (the R3/120cm ones) on the ground-level section of my line, and they seem to work very nicely - the only problem I've had is that even without powering the little brass insert in the frog, the ends of the live rails are very close together at the frog compared with LGB or Piko points - close enough that shorting problems can occur with some loco pickup skates, especially on Piko locos. I know there are several fixes for this, including bending the skates slightly or putting a brass shim on them, but what I've done is to simply put a small bit of black insulating tape onto one rail on the point, just enough to stop the problem occurring.

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've used several Trainline45 points (the R3/120cm ones) on the ground-level section of my line, and they seem to work very nicely - the only problem I've had is that even without powering the little brass insert in the frog, the ends of the live rails are very close together at the frog compared with LGB or Piko points - close enough that shorting problems can occur with some loco pickup skates, especially on Piko locos. I know there are several fixes for this, including bending the skates slightly or putting a brass shim on them, but what I've done is to simply put a small bit of black insulating tape onto one rail on the point, just enough to stop the problem occurring.

Jon.
Nasty things, skates, don't like 'um :shake::shake::shake:

But that's only because I don't have any locos fitted with skates. The real question would be, if I had a loco fitted with skates, what would I do :think::think::think::think:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Nasty things, skates, don't like 'um :shake::shake::shake:

But that's only because I don't have any locos fitted with skates. The real question would be, if I had a loco fitted with skates, what would I do :think::think::think::think:

Well, if all your locos run fine without skates, then by all means remove them..... I feel that they do serve a purpose in many cases, so prefer to leave them on wherever practical. Others may (and probably do) disagree..... ;)

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, if all your locos run fine without skates, then by all means remove them..... I feel that they do serve a purpose in many cases, so prefer to leave them on wherever practical. Others may (and probably do) disagree..... ;)

Jon.
I think they help to keep the track clean - I have to fight a bit harder to keep my track powered locos running smoothly, while the shorter wheelbase locos are battery powered.

To be fair, I've only every had one LGB loco - the USA 2-4-0 fat boy, and I sold that as I wanted locos with more wheels >:)>:)>:)>:)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.
Have to agree with Jon., if you are using Track Power then the Skates do give that dual purpose of helping with Track Contact and also add a little cleaning effort. Try testing out a Stainz or any 0-4-0 without them and see how they run. Stainz has effectively only 1 Pickup on one side (sans Skates) as one of the Wheels has Traction Tyres, even though Pickup plungers are connected and the Flanges May pick up a little juice. Stainz or any other 0-4-0 would be severely constrained by the lack of the Skates for any meaning full running.

Meanwhile I remove them for Battery Conversions, but as has been said many time that is another story.