What's Happened To Devious Diesel?

BenjaminB

Registered
27 May 2022
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm surprised you've had to modify a Playmobil loco to run on R1s. Most of my locos are Playmobil and run on LGB R1s with no problem.
Sorry, badly-worded by me; the Lionel stuff is regauged, the modifications to the Playmobil stuff is more to the bodywork rather than the chassis, which have proved to be very reliable so far.

BenjaminB

Registered
27 May 2022
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
For comparison, here's Thomas and Diesel. Diesel's wheels are smaller diameter and his wheelbase is slightly shorter. You may just about get away with R1 but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Keith

View attachment 299462
That's a very interesting shot, thanks for sharing. Genuinely a bit surprised; I'd have expected the exact same chassis under all the 0-6-0's to save costs, with bodywork of Diesel bodged a little to fit, proportions-wise.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
To my eye, the Bachmann large scale diesels, appear to either be too long, or not tall enough?
But it could be these glasses!
:nerd: :D:D:D

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
To my eye, the Bachmann large scale diesels, appear to either be too long, or not tall enough?

PhilP
Probably, depends what you had in the glasses, and how many of them you had.
Quick tip, 16 pints of lager, and your stock count doubles

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would think that uneven track would prove to be problematical too.
Indeed so but less of a problem, though I would as indeed you do kay even where possible.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
They are made to almost but nit quite Gauge 3 track scale Inreckon.

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Well I bought a Paxton at the LLangollen Garden railway Festival . I must admit I did not think that you would be able to purchase a G scale 08 amazing . So here is the arrival photo IMG_0012.JPG

Gareth

28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Its a lovely runner and after running a bit a good runner and getting better !! One thing though , those eyes very spooky !!.They had to go so off to Nant -y -Felin Works and here is the result :- IMG_0002 (3).JPG

Gareth

28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
I have added new radiator grill bonnet hatches , handrails ,door catches, exhaust ports , sand boxes windscreen wipers and lights . It has Massoth L decoder and runs very well with it . Lights are LEDs . Also it has no issue with radius 1 curves or point work . IMG_0006 (3).JPG

BenjaminB

Registered
27 May 2022
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm really liking the look of that modified Paxton!

I bought a Diesel this week from Frizinghall Models; much as I like Diesel as a character (rooting for the baddies?), he's going to be undergoing a bit of surgery after-testing. Like some other people, I'll be doing the missing doors, bonnet vents and such, and having a go at adding wasp-stripes too.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The thing that really puts me off, is having to attack the window openings..
I just know I would make a complete horlicks of it. :(:sweating:

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes attacking the window surrounds hand painting can be a real pain. My thoughts may be to use iron wire as used for flower arranging, easily bent and shaped as a glue in piece for each window. Tedious to do but would look very fine. Also I see a lot of possibilities for the rear cab end and perhaps the front. There are lots of wire runs on the real thing. just search for some pictures in google.