What's Happened To Devious Diesel?

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
Has anyone managed to go hold of Bachmann 91407 - G Scale Diesel from the Thomas and Friends range?
It seems that very few have been imported to the UK and every supplier website I've looked at for the last few months reports that the item is on order with the supplier.
Does anyone know what the issue is, or when it's likely to arrive on these shores?

Keith

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am wondering, if despite being a key character in the books, the dealers perceived it as a less appealing model?

I managed to get one from Germany, before they seemed to land in the UK?
I was a little underwhelmed, with the blanked-off windows, though it did mean it was easy to hide the batteries and RC.
I didn't take any pictures, and it went off to the US, at the end of January.

Your Paxton looks very good (barring the blacked-out windows..
I am wondering if I would be able to open them up, and would like a prototypical front-end. - I have not seen any offered, as yet?

PhilP

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone managed to go hold of Bachmann 91407 - G Scale Diesel from the Thomas and Friends range?
It seems that very few have been imported to the UK and every supplier website I've looked at for the last few months reports that the item is on order with the supplier.
Does anyone know what the issue is, or when it's likely to arrive on these shores?

Keith
I started to answer this thinking you were referring to the green version, Paxton, then I realised that you already have one of those and that you are referring to the black version. I saw at least one of the green version for sale on a trade stand at the Midlands Garden Railway Show, Fosse Way, Warwick, 12.3.22, and there were two running on the G Scale Society Publicity Layout, one green one, out of the box, the one below modified into a very nice model. I now realise that the model number you are quoting is for the black version.

dig 220312052.JPG

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Someone on the forum made some 3D printed bodies of the honorary steam shunter - they made two locos if I remember right, so may be able to make another ;);)

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Your Paxton looks very good (barring the blacked-out windows.
It is still my intention to cut out the windows - just waiting for a rainy day when I can't work in the garden.
The modified Paxton at the Fosse Way Show was absolutely brilliant. I may have to get another one.

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Trying to order one here in Australian is a Joke!!!

I placed an order for one roughly back in October 2021 when they were announced available.
The store said I would have to wait till March to get one and it would be about $500 to $700
Rang them back in March ask asking what is happening, they didn't even place my order!!!

We are now in May and I'm still waiting for one.
If it weren't for the fact that we have only one importer, I'd take my business elsewhere. :-(

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Trying to order one here in Australian is a Joke!!!

I placed an order for one roughly back in October 2021 when they were announced available.
The store said I would have to wait till March to get one and it would be about $500 to $700
Rang them back in March ask asking what is happening, they didn't even place my order!!!

We are now in May and I'm still waiting for one.
If it weren't for the fact that we have only one importer, I'd take my business elsewhere. :-(
Could you not order directly from Bachmann US?

I assume that would be cheaper than from Bachmann Europe?

PhilP

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
To be honest, I don't know why I didn't.

Guess I was just dumb in thinking, "I should support my local hobby stores, and if it's broken, much easier to get a refund"

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I was thinking more that you had been let-down, by the local supplier..

We are all only as good as our last transaction..
We also all make mistakes. It is, of course, how we deal with them.

PhilP

BenjaminB

Registered
27 May 2022
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
For those that managed to get hold of one, what are they like with curves please? I've a small line with R1 curves and points (I know, I should have gone for R3, but I was limited for space). With the modified Playmobil and regauged Lionel I've been using, the R1 isn't a problem, but with Diesel and Mavis being my favourite characters as a kid, the temptation is there to get a Diesel for the fleet. I've heard Thomas can't cope with R1, but does Diesel use the same chassis block?

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Best answers
Country flag
For those that managed to get hold of one, what are they like with curves please? I've a small line with R1 curves and points (I know, I should have gone for R3, but I was limited for space). With the modified Playmobil and regauged Lionel I've been using, the R1 isn't a problem, but with Diesel and Mavis being my favourite characters as a kid, the temptation is there to get a Diesel for the fleet. I've heard Thomas can't cope with R1, but does Diesel use the same chassis block?
Hi Benjamin, I bought Devious Diesel from my local model shop in Rushden back in November. I too have radius 1 curves and though Diesel will go round them, he does slow down slightly and I get a little bit of a squeak as he negotiates them.

Sadly, I am going to sell Devious and stick to LGB and Piko locos which are smoother and quieter at going round radius 1.

Regards,

Paul

BenjaminB

Registered
27 May 2022
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Benjamin, I bought Devious Diesel from my local model shop in Rushden back in November. I too have radius 1 curves and though Diesel will go round them, he does slow down slightly and I get a little bit of a squeak as he negotiates them.

Sadly, I am going to sell Devious and stick to LGB and Piko locos which are smoother and quieter at going round radius 1.

Regards,

Paul

Cheers for the info... hmmm. Will have to have a think about it. I suppose I can always do the same, try it and if Diesel doesn't suit my line, sell it on. Thanks again for your reply :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers for the info... hmmm. Will have to have a think about it. I suppose I can always do the same, try it and if Diesel doesn't suit my line, sell it on. Thanks again for your reply :)
Looks like Palstig may have a buyer for his one?

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
For comparison, here's Thomas and Diesel. Diesel's wheels are smaller diameter and his wheelbase is slightly shorter. You may just about get away with R1 but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Keith

IMG_1423.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
For comparison, here's Thomas and Diesel. Diesel's wheels are smaller diameter and his wheelbase is slightly shorter. You may just about get away with R1 but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Keith

View attachment 299462
Thanks for that photo, I did wonder how much of Thomas mechanics was re used

Another question is what does diesel think of poorly laid, un even track?

Thomas and coaches has a habit of not liking uneven track,

Dan

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think it is horses for courses, Bachmann inevitably has never had the running quality of LGB. Sadly LGB has barely touched the market for the UK train lovers market so Bachmann is pretty well your first choice in G scale. 16mm and Gauge 1 are better supported as surprisingly is Gauge 3.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I'm surprised you've had to modify a Playmobil loco to run on R1s. Most of my locos are Playmobil and run on LGB R1s with no problem.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think it is horses for courses, Bachmann inevitably has never had the running quality of LGB. Sadly LGB has barely touched the market for the UK train lovers market so Bachmann is pretty well your first choice in G scale. 16mm and Gauge 1 are better supported as surprisingly is Gauge 3.
Not necessarily - LGB locos are designed to go round R1, other manufacturers' locos aren't necessarily designed for such tight curves.

In model railway terms, R1 is very tight.

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Thanks for that photo, I did wonder how much of Thomas mechanics was re used

Another question is what does diesel think of poorly laid, un even track?

Thomas and coaches has a habit of not liking uneven track,

Dan
I would think that uneven track would prove to be problematical too.