What is British G Scale

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Someone winding me up, Brunel Models don't have a Laxey wheel on their web site.......

David

Not a wind up. If you have the money Brunel will make to order - Bespoke Projects Their work is outstanding. They usually show up at the 16 mm NGM show with a selection. Their made to true scale, say 16 mm, really shows the difference in size from most buildings made in "garden scale" by other suppliers. Then you could always get the BBC "Money for Nothing" team interested and get that nice fitted kitchen quickly upcycled to a Laxey wheel. Whatever it is it will be quite imposing, as will the other half's reaction. Max

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Another slight thread drift David. I've been following this with interest. Initially assumed it would be 45mm gauge, now 32mm gauge mentioned and your self-imposed rules detailed in post #85. Just to throw my spanner in - this is looking for a new home if you don't find anything IOM suitable. 32/45mm adjustable.
View attachment 284695
Dare I quietly ask 'ow much?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not a wind up. If you have the money Brunel will make to order - Bespoke Projects Their work is outstanding. They usually show up at the 16 mm NGM show with a selection. Their made to true scale, say 16 mm, really shows the difference in size from most buildings made in "garden scale" by other suppliers. Then you could always get the BBC "Money for Nothing" team interested and get that nice fitted kitchen quickly upcycled to a Laxey wheel. Whatever it is it will be quite imposing, as will the other half's reaction. Max

If you've seen any of the truly amazing model structures made by Brunel for Gauge 1 layouts - as well as a 16mm scale Woody Bay - you'll know that the quality is as big as the price. Given that even something as 'compact' as a 16mm scale signal box costs around £400, you can imagine how much something like the Lynton & Barnstaple's Chelfham viaduct must have cost.

They will make any thing you want as a one-off project - all you need is a LOT of money.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you've seen any of the truly amazing model structures made by Brunel for Gauge 1 layouts - as well as a 16mm scale Woody Bay - you'll know that the quality is as big as the price. Given that even something as 'compact' as a 16mm scale signal box costs around £400, you can imagine how much something like the Lynton & Barnstaple's Chelfham viaduct must have cost.

They will make any thing you want as a one-off project - all you need is a LOT of money.
They made me two bridges, LGB R2, and R3, expensive yes, but not that bad.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

A Bridge too far?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Good movie. Loved the scene with all the DC-3s taking off (crank the sound up for that)._
............... and fairly close to the historical account :nod::nod:

One of our friend's father's uniform is in the museum at Oosterbeek complete with shrapnel damage - he survived and spent the rest of the war POW

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't LGB = Lehman Garten Bahn? (forgive my ignorance).
Yes, it is.
The 1/22.5 scale was initially chosen so they could advertise it was twice as big as "O "scale (European, not American).

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
I do wish we'd not adopted this curious British railway modellers' hybrid scale ratio thing: 2mm=1', 7mm=1' etc. A ridiculous confusion of metric and imperial measurement systems! 1:152, 1:43 etc. is so much more logical .

Funnily enough, SWMBO teaches english and maths to adults who need a bit of a "top up", and she came and found me the other day because a student who's into model railways just happened to mention they couldn't work out how to calculate measurements needed to make models to match their existing trains in 7mm=1' (or whatever it was) . The hybrid unit mix just seems very odd to people outside the hobby. Of course she's perfectly capable of working out the true ratio but hadn't heard of scales being expressed in this way, so wanted to be sure she'd understood her student's questions correctly. I wrote out a chart of the common ratios we use, to give her some ammunition.
It is not totally odd. We use a similar system in ship design. Only on this side of the pond, it is fractional inches to the foot.
In the dark recess of my mind, we did something similar when I was a designer in the aviation industry in another life.

As a funny side note, some of the newer Navy designs build in mm dims with SAE piping, not DIN.

What can I say? We humans is a silly lot.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it is.
The 1/22.5 scale was initially chosen so they could advertise it was twice as big as "O "scale (European, not American).

Yup. European 0 scale - NOT O scale - is 1/45th. American 0 scale is 1/48th - much easier to model in imperial dimensions, being simply 1/4" to the foot, hence the popular name of quarter-scale.

British 0 scale is another dimensional hybrid - 1/43 and a bit - 7mm to the foot..........................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It is not totally odd. We use a similar system in ship design. Only on this side of the pond, it is fractional inches to the foot.
In the dark recess of my mind, we did something similar when I was a designer in the aviation industry in another life.

As a funny side note, some of the newer Navy designs build in mm dims with SAE piping, not DIN.

What can I say? We humans is a silly lot
I understand that when metric started coming in the old British Leyland compromised by continuing with Imperial threads and metric heads!

Edited 10:08 to correct mistype.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
For some reason I'm not that surprised.
It would not have surprised me, if they had done it the other way round...

Metric threads, but imperial heads, to save the cost of changing tools!

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Many years ago I met someone on a sponsored degree study placement at Warwick University who's project was the design, development and construction of a concrete canoe. His sponsor..........British Leyland. I kid ye not. Max

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many years ago I met someone on a sponsored degree study placement at Warwick University who's project was the design, development and construction of a concrete canoe. His sponsor..........British Leyland. I kid ye not. Max
Now if you'd said a concrete hot-air balloon, I might have believed you......

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
One of my colleagues, bought a ferro cement hulled yacht, partially built, and completed it in his front garden..

A bit like us fitting metal wheelsets, it keeps the centre of gravity low..

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, remember, people laughed at the idea of iron ships.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I understand that when metric started coming in the old British Leyland compromised by continuing with Imperial threads and metric heads!

Edited 10:08 to correct mistype.
I was working at Leyland Motors Limited (LML) that became BL in 1969, and certainly at Leyland this was NOT the case.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
One of my colleagues, bought a ferro cement hulled yacht, partially built, and completed it in his front garden..

A bit like us fitting metal wheelsets, it keeps the centre of gravity low..
Yeah, concrete hulled yachts, and river barges are not uncommon, but a canoe :mm::mm::mm: .............. something that's meant to be portable and lightweight :rolleyes::rolleyes:

A bit like the 'lightweight' Landrovers for the military that ended up heavier than the normal Series 2 :eek::eek: