What is British G Scale

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
While we are circling around the edges of the Maelstrom, let's not forget that -

1. in the USA, 0 scale is 1/48th.

2. on the continent, 0 scale is 1/45th.

3. in UK, 0 scale is 1/43rd.

4. on the continent and in the US, N/n is 160th.

5. in the UK N/n is 1/148th.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Rik,

Up until 23rd December the idea of a garden railway was but just a dream for the future, until we found a new property my beloved and I could agree on.

My interest in the larger scales/gauges is very new and until two weeks ago was always intended to be 15mil scale based on the Manx Northern Railway. In January and then February I picked up two G gauge trams on flea bay.

My question was simply to understand what was meant by british G scale, is it a thread for people modelling G gauge in britain, is it a thread for people modelling british prototypes on G gauge, I was just trying to understand the thread title and if it could be one for me to add to the watch list.

Since joining this group I suspect my modelling path will be a tramway one rather than railway, my interest in british trams is limited with the exception of the Isle of Man, why I don't know but something about the island appeals, my other tramway interest lays mainly with the Ringhoffer trams which I discovered about 10 years ago.

So I am a predominantly a tramway modeller living in Scotland with a british interest for an island i haven't been to for about 35 years.

If you can un-scramble that lot can you please explain to me whether I am a british Gauge scale/gauge modeller :) I just plan to model things which appeal.

David
Unfortunately for you, the subtext of your original innocent question lies at the heart of the G Scale debate - as you have seen.

I too love the IoM - though the Southwold just beats it to the tape for me (maybe because I spent my formative years in East Anglia). But then I'm a sucker for 3' gauge railways. As someone said on here about 3mm scale, 3' gauge is the Goldilocks gauge for me (not too wide and not too narrow).

I look forward to seeing how your railway develops. Sounds like you've made a start on the Manx Electric Railway. Will your next step be to represent Ramsey so you can model the Manx Northern? Will there be a Glen Wyllin? Or will you go upwards.... to Snaefell?

Rik

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately for you, the subtext of your original innocent question lies at the heart of the G Scale debate - as you have seen.

I too love the IoM - though the Southwold just beats it to the tape for me (maybe because I spent my formative years in East Anglia). But then I'm a sucker for 3' gauge railways. As someone said on here about 3mm scale, 3' gauge is the Goldilocks gauge for me (not too wide and not too narrow).

I look forward to seeing how your railway develops. Sounds like you've made a start on the Manx Electric Railway. Will your next step be to represent Ramsey so you can model the Manx Northern? Will there be a Glen Wyllin? Or will you go upwards.... to Snaefell?

Rik
Rik,

I have built up some MNR stock in 7mm, track plan drawn up and sketches started for the buildings, so Ramsey will be an indoor 7mm scale project.

MER will be the outside project, I haven't given much thought to anything other than the vehicles just now, I know the garden line will be double track, I have a rough idea where the line will run but I haven't given much thought to a theme or tram stops or owt, something else for me to think about.

David

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Rik,

I have built up some MNR stock in 7mm, track plan drawn up and sketches started for the buildings, so Ramsey will be an indoor 7mm scale project.

MER will be the outside project, I haven't given much thought to anything other than the vehicles just now, I know the garden line will be double track, I have a rough idea where the line will run but I haven't given much thought to a theme or tram stops or owt, something else for me to think about.

David
Will Groudle Glen feature in the landscape? ...... I think you can see where I'm heading with this?

Rik

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Will Groudle Glen feature in the landscape? ...... I think you can see where I'm heading with this?

Rik
Rik,

I see exactly where you're going and you're a bad man for putting ideas in my head...................

I set myself one rule when I started in this scale, trams are electric, so battery or rail powered, any steam loco must be live steam, no electric steam outline models, one of the Groudle Glen engines would be awfully small, oh you're a bad man Rik.

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Small, but beautifully put together...
:devil::devil::devil::devil:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Rik,

I see exactly where you're going and you're a bad man for putting ideas in my head...................

I set myself one rule when I started in this scale, trams are electric, so battery or rail powered, any steam loco must be live steam, no electric steam outline models, one of the Groudle Glen engines would be awfully small, oh you're a bad man Rik.

David
Are you sure I can't tempt you to the dark side ........ :devil:

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Oh all right then. How about Laxey? You could model the interchange between the MER and the SMR ..... And then there's alway the 19" gauge Laxey Mine Railway with those lovely tiny locos .... and maybe even the Laxey water wheel

Rik

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Are you sure I can't tempt you to the dark side ........ :devil:

Rik
Rik,

How has this simple thread which was a simple enquiry about what is british G scale become a discussion about my plans; do we know each other and you are trying to play on my mind knowing that nothing is final until it is pinned down.

This should probably move this to a new thread but I suppose it is still sort of in line with my original query.

I have now looked at the garden and your bad temptation has helped me realise a bit more about a good track plan for the garden, I had given quite a bit of thought to including 32mm gauge for some 7mm scale standard gauge models and with a little compromise on curve radii I think I now have the bones of my track plan, not Laxey though a nice thought but naw. A wee short 32mm gauge out and back does have some appeal.

You do realise my wife is going think I've completely lost the plot when I mark things out later, but hey at least I now have an idea for the track plan which I didn't have when I woke this morning, so thanks for that, but you're still the devil for putting ideas in my head.

David

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It is just the voices in your head... You do realise? ;)

Enjoy!

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Rik,

How has this simple thread which was a simple enquiry about what is british G scale become a discussion about my plans; do we know each other and you are trying to play on my mind knowing that nothing is final until it is pinned down.

This should probably move this to a new thread but I suppose it is still sort of in line with my original query.

I have now looked at the garden and your bad temptation has helped me realise a bit more about a good track plan for the garden, I had given quite a bit of thought to including 32mm gauge for some 7mm scale standard gauge models and with a little compromise on curve radii I think I now have the bones of my track plan, not Laxey though a nice thought but naw. A wee short 32mm gauge out and back does have some appeal.

You do realise my wife is going think I've completely lost the plot when I mark things out later, but hey at least I now have an idea for the track plan which I didn't have when I woke this morning, so thanks for that, but you're still the devil for putting ideas in my head.

David
Another slight thread drift David. I've been following this with interest. Initially assumed it would be 45mm gauge, now 32mm gauge mentioned and your self-imposed rules detailed in post #85. Just to throw my spanner in - this is looking for a new home if you don't find anything IOM suitable. 32/45mm adjustable.
86019_049ebe5e5be167366d29b4ac6ea96872.jpg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

David
You could make it an out-and-back and round-and-round with a set of push through points at each end:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You could make it an out-and-back and round-and-round with a set of push through points at each end:

Some you could sit and watch for hours and hours!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Another slight thread drift David. I've been following this with interest. Initially assumed it would be 45mm gauge, now 32mm gauge mentioned and your self-imposed rules detailed in post #85. Just to throw my spanner in - this is looking for a new home if you don't find anything IOM suitable. 32/45mm adjustable.
View attachment 284695
Lovely little loco

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm.......
New bathroom suite, or Brunel Models Laxey wheel?
:(:wondering::sweating::sweating:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm.......
New bathroom suite, or Brunel Models Laxey wheel?
:(:wondering::sweating::sweating:

New bathroom suite, wins hands down......... and then, forever thereafter, you can model what and where you want, without complaint. Well, nice theory (next it will be kitchen, then who knows what).