What happened at your workbench today?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There are no fixed parent metals for the alloy referred to as whitemetal: White metal - Wikipedia

I've done plenty of casting in the past -mostly aluminium- but it's not something I'm planning on doing at home!
White metal has quite a few uses, but in modelling terms, when I used to make white metal 4mm/1ft kits, the metal was largely lead, and the kits were assembled with 80 degree low-melt solder.

Nowadays, the preferred metal for casting tiny bits is pewter as a substitute for the lead-based white metal. It's not so soft, and takes a bit more working - finishing off with a fibreglass brush doesn't work :oops:

Over the years, I have used a few lost wax castings - these tended to be brassy in colour and quite hard, and generally were glued in place.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
There are no fixed parent metals for the alloy referred to as whitemetal: White metal - Wikipedia

I've done plenty of casting in the past -mostly aluminium- but it's not something I'm planning on doing at home!
Of course any Bargain Hunt watcher will know the unmarked (no hallmark) silver is sold as "white metal".

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well I actually did something in the shed yesterday! The Scientific loco's tender had no lid on the tender to hide/access the batteries so I did something to resolve the situation. Some pieces of 5mm foamboard carved up and glued to each other, then some exterior filler smeared over it, and then I added some ballast to cover the filler ....

DSCF0709.JPG

Then I took it into the house to dry (and for me to warm up). A few hours later, the "lid" was dry and rigid so back into the workshop to rattlecan a coat of matt black ....
DSCF0715.JPG

Then into the house again to assist the curing of the paint - plus a cuppa and a biscuit - then back out again to run a train!

DSCF0720.JPG

Still plenty to do of course! But I did make an alteration to the tender's rear coupling - a bit crude but, at least, the original coupling can go back on if required ...

DSCF0713.JPG

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Is only 1/2 hour in to the 30th where I live: got the LGB Stainz's stack and smokebox painted flat black & went old-school, used classic Testors 1/4 fl. oz. enamel.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Spent a good part of the afternoon cutting 1/8" plywood for a wee project when my wife came home.

Apparently my wife trusts me to have a weekend away in Prague with a modelling pal, but she doesn't trust me to cut 1/64" and 1/8" sheets of ply in the kitchen when she goes out .

David

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Spent a good part of the afternoon cutting 1/8" plywood for a wee project when my wife came home.

Apparently my wife trusts me to have a weekend away in Prague with a modelling pal, but she doesn't trust me to cut 1/64" and 1/8" sheets of ply in the kitchen when she goes out .

David
In Prague, she's having you followed; when you're home and she's out, she KNOWS you're up to something.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
We're on a roll :cool::cool:

The observant amongst us will notice that I have also started attacking the body :p

DSCF2295.JPG

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,
P playmofire

No I was not aware, thanks for the info, added to the Crimbo wish list..

Re 3D prints, drop me a message with your details on, and I'll post out a couple of 3D prints to you, no costs required.

PS: Can you give me a day or two, see post in Coffee Lounge re the Sista Hood, 3D printer is located in the garden room!
Which is presently occupied by a Chainsaw impressionist!
Any luck with the book at Christmas?

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Hi,

Any luck with the book at Christmas?
Yes indeed, courtesy of Daughter No 2.
And, thanks again for your kind offer to send me a copy.

One of many surprises in the present collection, which has required some major reshuffling in the storage departments!

The Riddle Of The Sands.jpg

Not much chance of getting a copy of this!
The Riddle of the Sands. A record of secret service recently achieved. CHILDERS, Erskine.
Published by London Smith Elder & Co, 1903
Hardcover £ 4,761.76

Last edited:

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Well... a year ago I was so happy to win on evilbay the bid of a GRSUK kit Peckett 0-6-0. It turns out that this kit is extremely "basic", and everythig below the baseframe has to be invented by myself - where to attach the couplings incl. hook, how to fix the cylinders, where to screw the chassis on (LGB U-class) etc.etc. - so the next update will follow in 6 months from now. Here is just the test whether everything is halfways on its right place:

1640948498960.png

Happy new year to all!
Andreas

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Yes indeed, courtesy of Daughter No 2.
And, thanks again for your kind offer to send me a copy.

One of many surprises in the present collection, which has required some major reshuffling in the storage departments!

View attachment 293821

The Riddle of the Sands. A record of secret service recently achieved. CHILDERS, Erskine.
Hardcover £ 4,761.76
A retelling - that looks interesting, as does the lit of other books in the series. I may follow that up. Certainly, the maps seem clearer in your copy, if only because they are in colour.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well... a year ago I was so happy to win on evilbay the bid of a GRSUK kit Peckett 0-6-0. It turns out that this kit is extremely "basic", and everythig below the baseframe has to be invented by myself - where to attach the couplings incl. hook, how to fix the cylinders, where to screw the chassis on (LGB U-class) etc.etc. - so the next update will follow in 6 months from now. Here is just the test whether everything is halfways on its right place:

View attachment 293823

Happy new year to all!
Andreas
Remember many Pecket 0-6-0’s did not have outside cylinders. Here is my GRS one on a Piko Chassis.
0F44BC5E-9072-44A1-AE80-00C09F121B0B.jpeg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Luckily, there was enough 'spring' in the wiring, to keep the decoder away from everything else! 16409714974106014024951764879711.jpg
That is why I am not a fan of the white sticky-pads.. Or insulation tape, for that matter.

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Remember many Pecket 0-6-0’s did not have outside cylinders. Here is my GRS one on a Piko Chassis.

Yes John - I know your lovely loco - that's why I purchased the kit.
But (pedantic mode on) - I learnt that in case of inside cylinders the driving (middle) axis has an offset in the counterweights - see minute 04:50. (pedantic mode off)

And I thought this is too much work - so I opted for outside cylinders and will recycle some Stainz parts...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes John - I know your lovely loco - that's why I purchased the kit.
But (pedantic mode on) - I learnt that in case of inside cylinders the driving (middle) axis has an offset in the counterweights - see minute 04:50. (pedantic mode off)

And I thought this is too much work - so I opted for outside cylinders and will recycle some Stainz parts...
Hm yes that is going to be a tricky mod with my Piko Chassis!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Rattle tin time :) first coat of primer has gone on
DSC_0235.JPG

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
As it was so warm and dry today managed to get a couple of base coats on :)
DSC_0243.JPG
Will under coat the cream tomorrow, it's the inspiring stage, hold me back....

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 293821

Hardcover £ 4,761.76
Well, not at that price, at Abesbooks it's now £5330.66!