David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Are we to assume, having got the toilet block to a functional state, you are moving on to a 'Big Job'? :tmi:

:happy:

Phil

You should be deturd from such suggestions.

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Made a start on a Steam Tram, Y6 to be specific. It will run on Gauge 3 track as I have been lusting after this size for a while though the scale is pretty much G Scale IE you can use the figures and buildings.
20E8357A-754A-42D7-BF0C-A5285C939F88.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Made a start on a Steam Tram, Y6 to be specific. It will run on Gauge 3 track as I have been lusting after this size for a while though the scale is pretty much G Scale IE you can use the figures and buildings.
View attachment 278876
Y6 you say...

20210108_173542.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Glued some of the home-brew brake-gear parts on the three latest hopper wagons. Baby steps.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yup a Y6 unlike your superb J70. However the differences are small but noticeable, sadly I did not look too closely at yours earlier before I made my boob comment. Vive la différence.
To be fair mine is a quick lash up of a 3D design off Thingiverse with some additional detailing and a wooden roof. It's sitting on a little pug 4 wheel chassis, so technically it's closer to a Y6!! I've basically built it as a more robust vehicle than my trams so that I can send it around and clear the clutter off the track prior to running the more expensive to fix stuff...

1610643462409.png

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
A bit of time since I have updated, not least because the camera lead went missing so I could n't upload photos of progress. A new one arrived today, which prompted Mrs Northsider to say "There's one of those in with my laptop" :mad: . Anyhoo, pull up a chair...this could go on a while...

First up, the Christmas build of a pair of IOM 'L' wagons -a bit niche, these: but beautifully cast details, and they come with a full set of Accucraft wheels, W-irons and brake detail, as well as decals.

1610711516486.png

I built them exactly to the instructions apart from fitting Accucraft couplers on the outer ends.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The second instalment is making a small snowplough for my Accucraft Peveril. The IOM locos carried these in the winter months, so they didn't get seen by tourists much, and photos are scarce. First up was a card pattern:

1610711812675.png

Then the brass sheet was cut on my newly-revived scroll saw:

1610711874100.png

Filed, folded and soft soldered:

1610711921347.png

Bracket made and bolted on:
1610711953319.png

Then sprayed and fitted: the mounting fits behind the chopper coupling and uses the same bolts:

1610712030916.png

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
"a pair of IOM 'L' wagons..."

My apologies if you have previously mentioned the pedigree of these kits, but whose kits are they, please?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Way too organised and tidy!
:envy:

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
My weekend projects are stacking up on the shed line...20210115_174114.jpg

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
"a pair of IOM 'L' wagons..."

My apologies if you have previously mentioned the pedigree of these kits, but whose kits are they, please?
They are made by Ed More, who is a member of the IOM15mil group and trades as EMA Heritage.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Christmas 2020, Father Christmas was kind enough to deliver a number of cast resin buildings for the Claptowte Railway, including a Kippo Models Station Building and Toilet Block. I had not previously had any experience of putting together resin building kits, so it was logical that I start with the smallest and simplest, this being the Toilet Block. As this was the first resin cast building that I had assembled, it was to be my test piece. Having gained some knowledge and experience from that kit, I decided to tackle the much larger and more complex station building.

As with the Toilet Block, the first task was to clean up the various component parts to remove any flash from the resin casting process, I set about them with files and abrasive paper then everything was given a good wash in soapy water to clean off any mould release agent. I had to give some thought to how much assembly could be undertaken without the need to paint various parts first. I decided that I would start by assembling the bare shell of the building first, comprising the front, rear, two end and two partition walls. Copying the instructions and advice from the Toilet block construction, the parts were glued together using Gorilla Superglue. I then worked some Unibond repair metal into the brickwork interlocking corner joints which were scribed and filed to match. I also ran some Unibond down the inside corners, including the partition walls, in order to reinforce the bonds.

Even at this early stage, I worked in a couple of alterations to suit my needs. The three doors at the front and the two doors in the partition walls of the building were without doorknobs. I made some up out of some 2.5mm mains cable and insulation and added them at this stage. My other modification was to file two slots in the top of each of the top edges of the partition walls in anticipation of adding internal lighting at some stage and therefore the need to facilitate the wiring.

dig 210116001.JPG

dig 210116002.JPG

dig 210116003.JPG

The next process will be to give the structure a spray of grey plastic primer but, at the moment I am undecided as to how to proceed further. I cannot decide if I should paint the brickwork first, or add the roof. I am erring towards the roof, as that could also be primed before any painting takes place.

David

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
e next process will be to give the structure a spray of grey plastic primer but, at the moment I am undecided as to how to proceed further. I cannot decide if I should paint the brickwork first, or add the roof. I am erring towards the roof, as that could also be primed before any painting takes place.
paint brick first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!than paint roof...............than add roof.....you dont want to f**** up this master piece, if you dont do it my way, we will have a couple of beers and a talk and i walk him home and you can rebuild....
Oh yes uhm....glass? as last????