What happened at your workbench today?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How much will you be able to see of the Station interior?

I think I would assemble the roof, but make it removable.
Give the interior a primer coat as well..

Then paint the exterior of the building.

Then pause, and consider the interior..

PhilP

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
What happens at my bench? witch one? all of them? ........a lot.......Photo's i think i am learning it......
But i made a experimental piece for the gardenRR...hmmm this experiment is going somewhere...any thoughts?
Just simple cheap vermiculite for chimney mixed with cement, nothing special.

Oh yes the car, what could be wrong about that one....everything....incl prototypical height(Far to low), to fat coupler and a 3d printer/program/file not cooperating!!!!(thingyverse)
20210116_171450.jpg
20210116_171358.jpg
20210116_171423.jpg
20210116_172900.jpg
20210116_172847.jpg
I really dont like this coupler and bogie, way out of "prototypical" and car...
Designing from scratch: a soviet flat bed car (1935) prototypical correct! incl coupler. bogie and wheels... that will act also as a base for my other cars but this will be in a separate topic.
Comment, notes ect, all are welcome
with best regards Igor

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
A little preview:20210116_173339.jpg
20210116_173217.jpg
20210116_173133.jpg
20210116_173203.jpg
Still have to clean it up!!!!!! and chance two or three things...
The air hose is not complete, air coupler must be done and the valve is not good enough(it is not on the pictures but its there)
The shock absorbents are going to have a hugh make over.
And the manual release must be shorter, this one is NOT good.
Work in progress, SO NOT final result!
Must be prototypical correct and good enough design for production

With best regards Igor

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Doesn't that absorb water?
No not at all. All water (rain) will go down and even drain/collect water from the wooden sleepers to let gravity to do its job.
In my "base" the water can freely go away with no hesitation...The wood will be dry at all times, of course it will rot after 15 years, but i dont think my RR will be still the same as i planned it right now?20210116_171621.jpg
Yes just some fencing pieces, a bit to small for a two track need a third one( could calculate with templot).
With best regards, Igor

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Vermiculite was used in our loft for insulation by a previous owner. Sometime after we moved in, the cold water tank (we think) started leaking and the vermiculite soaked it all up until it was so heavy it brought down half the kitchen ceiling.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep vermiculite is used to retain water on this continent too...

You asked "any thoughts", my take on the track is used thicker ties, slot the "rail" deeper so it's only about 0.3" above the tie (i.e. closer to code 332), the thicker ties can be hidden in ballast, so the overall appearance will be better.

The increased amount of rail in the tie will help keep it in place better.

Those are my thoughts,

Greg

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
In the RAN we used vermiculite to absorb oil spills; we used to call it "kitty litter" still use it today at the 1:1 railway that I volunteer at for that purpose.
In horticulture it is used to bulk out potting media and hold water for striking cuttings.
What I am looking at appears to be closer to Perlite which does a similar job to vermiculite but is a lot less absorbent.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What I am looking at appears to be closer to Perlite which does a similar job to vermiculite but is a lot less absorbent.
Could well be Perlite? - I think it was Perlite that tended to be used as insulation?
Perhaps some confusion in translation?

Plasterboard will absorb an enormous amount of water, and a soaked ceiling will eventually fail under its own weight..
It can get so sodden, water will start pooling on top of it. Adding to the problem.

PhilP

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Could well be Perlite? - I think it was Perlite that tended to be used as insulation?
Perhaps some confusion in translation?

Plasterboard will absorb an enormous amount of water, and a soaked ceiling will eventually fail under its own weight..
It can get so sodden, water will start pooling on top of it. Adding to the problem.

PhilP
That sounds like a sodden nuisance.

David

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
WOW I will conduct some experiments on this, incl weight measurements before and after wetting, with clean and unused stuff(vermiculite and perlite)
Due to the fine grid it would be logical it will hold some water between them self just like eps, of course the cement will retain water, bummer did not think of this.
Big bummer.

@Greg:
You where snooping around in my shed? regarding making bigger ties and deeper slots?:cool:

Best

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Igor,
All ballast will hold some water, for the reasons you have given (small spaces between the particles).
Muck and dust will collect, over time, and add to the problem.

Just make the roadbed as free draining as you can, and try to avoid hollows, where water can puddle..

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Well I've primed the bare bones of the station building and having done so I have decided that the way forward will be to paint the model so far, before I add the roof or any more parts. It will make the painting of the interior a lot easier. The only problem is that I do not have the paints that I require, I will have to put in a couple of mail orders. While I am waiting I shall prime the remaining component parts and probably make a start of another building.

dig 210117001.JPG

dig 210117002.JPG

dig 210117003.JPG

David

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
@ david,
Wow...it looks like a drawing from a computer model....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Igor,
All ballast will hold some water, for the reasons you have given (small spaces between the particles).
Muck and dust will collect, over time, and add to the problem.

Just make the roadbed as free draining as you can, and try to avoid hollows, where water can puddle..

PhilP
That's one of the purposes of 1:1 ballast but, as you say, the sub grade is adequate;y drained ............... as we found out on one building site in an old railway yard adjacent to the Portsmouth main line. When we bunged up a constantly trickling drain to do some manhole work, we noticed puddles near the track :oops::oops::oops:

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
My j70 tram has made progress this weekend. The wooden roof has been fitted, filled and sanded to profile. A little more painting and some detailing including roof parts, hand rails and coupling and we'll be getting somewhere close.
20210117_154700.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
My j70 tram has made progress this weekend. The wooden roof has been fitted, filled and sanded to profile. A little more painting and some detailing including roof parts, hand rails and coupling and we'll be getting somewhere close.
View attachment 279107
Those little engines are a joy to behold, almost as good looking as the GW Panniers

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 279107
Researching my Gauge 3 Steam Tram I found out what the pipe on the roof was for. It was to divert the safety valve steam and noise, mandated by the act for the Railway Build to stop the scaring of horses.