dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You're missing out on a lot of fun Chris, although the excitement is probably tempered by the lack of another new tool now
Love IKEA self build, goes together like a dream and numpties cant do it. Good earner if you were a DIY handyman that can.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Keep up Chris!

No more tools... Ikea are moving to the wedge dowel. :nerd:
As it's raining, I might arrange my collection of Ikea allen keys from over the years :rock:

No tools PhilP? how do you drive in the dowel if, say you were someone who was sadly hammerless:giggle:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As it's raining, I might arrange my collection of Ikea allen keys from over the years :rock:

No tools PhilP? how do you drive in the dowel if, say you were someone who was sadly hammerless:giggle:
You don't..
Slip it in the slot, and slide.. Must admit to being dubious, but table legs that just slot in? :wondering:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You don't..
Slip it in the slot, and slide.. Must admit to being dubious, but table legs that just slot in? :wondering:
Yep, on the one hand sounds dodgy, but their stuff is usually meticulously researched :nod::nod:

Why do so many people have it - 'cos you can't beat the quality at the price :shake:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
After a bit of fettling, we're getting there.

DSCF2003.JPG

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Having set aside the two buildings that I have started, to await paint, I have made a start on the third building that Father Christmas delivered for the Claptowte Railway, a Thorley Miniatures Signal Box. I have cleaned up the resin castings, washed them to remove any mould release agent, glued together the four walls and filled any gaps where the walls join. The next step will be to spray with grey primer. I have decided not to fit the roof until after I have painted the walls as it will then be easier to fit the door and window frames once they have also been painted.

dig 210120001.JPG

dig 210120002.JPG

David

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Having set aside the two buildings that I have started, to await paint, I have made a start on the third building that Father Christmas delivered for the Claptowte Railway, a Thorley Miniatures Signal Box. I have cleaned up the resin castings, washed them to remove any mould release agent, glued together the four walls and filled any gaps where the walls join. The next step will be to spray with grey primer. I have decided not to fit the roof until after I have painted the walls as it will then be easier to fit the door and window frames once they have also been painted.

View attachment 279282

View attachment 279281

David
Just done a pair of those meself David!

I should get the paints delivered tomorrow.

I've decided not to use the glazing, so I have glued some old signage I had from work inside, and I'm going to paint them a 'glass like' dark blue gloss colour.

I will use these signal boxes to hide the IP67 enclosures that will contain my point decoders, so I won't be modelling an interior as I imaging you will....

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
More small F progress, firstly, tapered the running boards so that they are thinner on the outer edge and glued them on with a dip towards the centre to give that classic IOM coach sag.
20210120_122704.jpg
Then glued in the centre partition and seats (also end seats) to give the body strength, the end beading was also glued in place
20210120_153709.jpg
Need to plan the roof next and a few details, also waiting for some "sand sealer" so I can begin under coating.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have now sprayed the bare shell of the Thorley signal box and am currently cleaning up the castings of the rest of the component parts. I have an issue with the steps up to the signal box door. There are no exploded diagrams to show assembly and I am relying on the excellent set of photographs, accompanying the sales offer on eBay, that show various views of the finished model. The steps defy engineering logic with no visible means of support for the treads. I am going to have to rethink them and come up with a believable modification.

dig 210121001.JPG

dig 210121002.JPG

David

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I did a couple of bits n bobs to 2 projects yesterday. Having recieved the ordered 2 pairs of Brandbright RSA46 Loop Buffer Couplings on Tuesday I decided to clean them all up and mount a pair to the Red Loco as it is now known. The pic shows the bogie that I used to set the height right.
image.jpg
I also mounted the sides and ends of the Gauge 3 Steam Tram plus cut some roof profile.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have now sprayed the bare shell of the Thorley signal box and am currently cleaning up the castings of the rest of the component parts. I have an issue with the steps up to the signal box door. There are no exploded diagrams to show assembly and I am relying on the excellent set of photographs, accompanying the sales offer on eBay, that show various views of the finished model. The steps defy engineering logic with no visible means of support for the treads. I am going to have to rethink them and come up with a believable modification.

View attachment 279310

View attachment 279311

David
David, I just glued the (wooden?) treaders to the brick supports.

I guess you could make the risers from Plasticard, suitably scribed to match the brick work....

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail dunnyrail , I've finished printing the various buffers, cow catchers and bell etc. Will post pictures once they are cleaned up!

Loving the "Red Loco". Do you have any details on it?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail dunnyrail , I've finished printing the various buffers, cow catchers and bell etc. Will post pictures once they are cleaned up!

Loving the "Red Loco". Do you have any details on it?
Brill look forwards to that, this is my thread on the Red loco. Has got pushed back a little due to the want of couplings (arrived) and some detail that will arrive when it arrives.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve finished painting my 7/8ths figures. Jesse is the last for now:-
E00440BB-3DD6-4645-8C4D-1D5F2D9178EF.jpeg

Jesse is a driver/platelayer, here he is with his platelayers spanner.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Does he normally keep it in his Golf-Bag... With his Drivers!

:party::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reactions: 1 user