dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
After more stops than starts I am finally getting around to modifying Bachmann Claribelle, Annie and Emily coaches to something vaguely resembling GN coaches to run behind a modified Emily. Even slower going on that part of the project. :(
After hunting endlessly for a spirit varnish to emulate teak I had to give up and use Revell Reddish Brown acrylic. which had been sitting next to me throughout! It still needs varnish which I am hoping will show up the gold lining better. Handrails are still needed.
I have more or less given up trying to create the correct roof shape. All efforts to carve wood, shape balsa or plastic sheet have met with failure.
The difficulty of seeing materials and paints “in the flesh” due to Covid has not helped progress.
Individual planks made up to a roof profile work very well, you may need some more internal supports but I have never had an issue with this method. Have used plasticard and thin 2mm ply with great success, topped with glued on kitchen roll (with no pattern) it works great.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
If you do find any sticky residue Lighter Fuel is a great resource for removing it, also helps with labels that shops insist on putting the view side of anything that you buy. Causes no damage as it evaporates pretty quick. Have a tin in my workshop and shed, also a great cleaning aid for just any old crud.
And if using lighter fuel worries you, De-Solv-It Sticky Stuff Remover works well, although it maybe more expensive than lighter fuel at £4.40 for 250ml.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
If you do find any sticky residue Lighter Fuel is a great resource for removing it, also helps with labels that shops insist on putting the view side of anything that you buy. Causes no damage as it evaporates pretty quick. Have a tin in my workshop and shed, also a great cleaning aid for just any old crud.
I have built a couple of Piko kits, they are good but I was surprised to find surplus sections in both of them. These weren't just odd bits either but main wall and roof panels.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
On wards with the 2 coaches, now painted and transfered up, seating has been modified and painted ready for fitting, so just the roofs to sort and a coat of varnish to finish, I think..

DSC_0054.JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Probably the easiest R/C conversion anyone could wish for - a pantechnicon of space for all the gear :):):)

Galloping Goose #7 - rear half. the square opening is over the intermediate bogie where the motor sits, and where there will be a 6-way connector (already mounted on the front half).

DSCF1956.JPG

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have built a couple of Piko kits, they are good but I was surprised to find surplus sections in both of them. These weren't just odd bits either but main wall and roof panels.
I have built quite a few PIKO and POLA kits and you start to notice commonly used components, notably roof sections and walls. There might be a variation like a roof gable for example, but I guess it's a lot cheaper to ship an extra piece of plastic than produce a new moulding for one model. That would be my explanation.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have built quite a few PIKO and POLA kits and you start to notice commonly used components, notably roof sections and walls. There might be a variation like a roof gable for example, but I guess it's a lot cheaper to ship an extra piece of plastic than produce a new moulding for one model. That would be my explanation.
I've found the same and I think it's where. say. a house appears in more than one kit with minor variations, so you find you have the basic parts of the house (walls, floor, roof) plus the parts unique to that kit, say a different end wall.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
made piece!!!!!! with my 3d printer after some long and heavy conversations....
20201225_120539.jpg
I downloaded several stl files from thingyverse but none where satisfying,
4 donor files where used for this bogie.
I made the wheels completely by following the G1MRA standards.

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
The roof railing and the walkways on the roof have been completed. Next, the covers for the resistors are made.
The board structure for the pantograph is missing, as are some cross braces.
Peter
77569-modell-hagen-74-28.12.2020.jpg77571-modell-hagen-74-28.12.2020.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have been a little apathetic of late and this had to stop. The workbench has been looking a complete mess with 2 moribund repair projects littering it since sometime in November as seen below.
BE2D2780-3BE1-41E1-9795-9ED5D6BA252D.jpeg
The locs are my Piko 25T battery conversion that for no accountable reason had decided not to work. Rx appeared to be the issue but after a trip to Fosworks and nothing reported wrong I put it all back together but used my new 10 loco Tx and it works fine now so just been sitting on the bench waiting to be put back together. A bit of a shoe horning job that is a good one to delay. The other was my IP Steam Tram that has been running lumpy, a new JH gearbox motor was no different so I just put it all back together and ran it in the Garden sans the roof. Ran perfect, I suspect the metal roof may be causing Radio issues on tgis one so may need to make a new non metal roof. So at the end of the day today the bench looks like this.
2DC43571-17A6-42E4-A58A-34A0E25A9C9F.jpeg
At least I have some space and get on with something now.

Reactions: 1 users

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag

Attachments

• 20201229_184209.jpg
    20201229_184209.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201229_184150.jpg
    20201229_184150.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201229_184129.jpg
    20201229_184129.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Impressive!
How often does the young lady need new curtains? ;)

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I remember back in the 70’s when I first visited Germany the locomotives were covered in a sort of oily film rather than being cleaned to a shiny black like the ones preserved or still running on the former East German NG lines are now. I reckon that finish is perfect for many of the 3D prints that I see now.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You've lost me there, Phil.
One of the young ladies swinging swords around is in front of a series of curtained full - length windows..
I was alluding to a slip and the curtains ending up half - length.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
One of the young ladies swinging swords around is in front of a series of curtained full - length windows..
I was alluding to a slip and the curtains ending up half - length.
Still not spotted it.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Still not spotted it.
Go to 1.36, you will see, and yes those are not training swords, probably a little dull, but can be sharp as a razor.
Dont forget: most of them are trained in this before they even could walk....Girls for dance and tradition/grace and defend, boys for speed, strength and attack, no defend
Here is the full video of her:
The Dance of Cossack Girl with a Sword - Arkona - Kupala and Kostroma HD - Bing video

But what happend on my bench today....absolute nothing.

Last edited: