Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
My work bench is out of bounds! No2 Child is using it for university work:mad::mad::mad:
Think long-term: #2 child's degree could lead to lucrative employment supporting your train habit :rofl:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure I'm missing something here (it wouldn't be the first time) but why do you need four point motors ? I have a hand thrown double slip (not LGB) and it only needs two point levers to be able to set all routes. Your picture of the Beamish slip shows only two point levers also. Is this something peculiar to the LGB unit?
Phil
I've been wracking my brains, and I can't get it - straight across both ways and curved both ways are all you need - n'est-ce-pas?

Years ago I had a Minitrix n gauge double slip, and that's all it did and all my trains went wherever I wanted :think::think::think:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I knew Gizzy had modified one to make a crossover permanently but I wanted one that was controllable.

Geoff
Geoff, I have since replaced my double slip with a crossover I brought from Ebay Michael....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Finally got around to modifying a LGB double slip. I always wanted one that would act as a crossover from both directions or allow a train to change direction from both directions. I knew Gizzy had modified one to make a crossover permanently but I wanted one that was controllable. There is an example at Beamish on the standard gauge section (see photo).

To do this requires some modifications and the use of four point motors. I removed the linkages and replaced then with some 2mm threaded rod, locknuts and some brackets fashioned from LGB sleepers. Using four DCC point decoders I got it working. See the video.

Geoff
I think you could have done this with 2 decoders Geoff, as you can connect LGB 2 motors to a LGB decoder output, as you are changing from straight to curved roads....

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
The lockdown, which in Germany led to some of the schools being closed again, gave me a two-hour work until the holidays. So I have a lot of time to do handicrafts, but less money. But I think that was the government's right decision.
This means that the construction of the six-axle tram is going much faster than expected.
Today I was able to finish the roof of the A-part. The resistors and the pantograph are still missing.
77521-modell-hagen-74-15.12.2020.jpg

77524-modell-hagen-74-15.12.2020.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Think long-term: #2 child's degree could lead to lucrative employment supporting your train habit :rofl:
Unfortunately not, she's doing stage costume design, not a well paid career, even at the top of the tree I'm afraid, but she enjoys it

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The lockdown, which in Germany led to some of the schools being closed again, gave me a two-hour work until the holidays. So I have a lot of time to do handicrafts, but less money. But I think that was the government's right decision.
This means that the construction of the six-axle tram is going much faster than expected.
Today I was able to finish the roof of the A-part. The resistors and the pantograph are still missing.
View attachment 277474

View attachment 277475
Coming on nicely.

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure I'm missing something here (it wouldn't be the first time) but why do you need four point motors ? I have a hand thrown double slip (not LGB) and it only needs two point levers to be able to set all routes. Your picture of the Beamish slip shows only two point levers also. Is this something peculiar to the LGB unit?
Phil
The Beamish one has a mechanism so that two of the blades move in the opposite direction to the other two when a lever is moved. I thought about this but it was easier to use more motors. I really need a diagram here!

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I've been wracking my brains, and I can't get it - straight across both ways and curved both ways are all you need - n'est-ce-pas?

Years ago I had a Minitrix n gauge double slip, and that's all it did and all my trains went wherever I wanted :think::think::think:
For the normal LGB double slip, only one route can be active at one time. Using four motors you can have it straight across both ways simultaneously or curved both ways simultaneously. For example, this means you can set it as a standard crossover and leave it alone.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
My workbench? Today? Maybe the spiders were playing. I was otherwise employed :rolleyes:.

No room on mine for spiders! Can't be bothered to clear things up :banghead:

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
For the normal LGB double slip, only one route can be active at one time. Using four motors you can have it straight across both ways simultaneously or curved both ways simultaneously. For example, this means you can set it as a standard crossover and leave it alone.
Some diagrams:

PC160122.jpeg

PC160121.jpeg

I can run a train around the loop in either direction without activating the double slip as both crossover or both curved routes are set at the same time. The second picture is similar to the double slip settings on the Beamish picture. If I used the unmodified double slip, I would have to change the routing each time a train approached it.

Just to complicate things I also want to use the loop as a reversing loop so then I will have to change the routing as the train goes around the loop. That is the next job!

Why do this? Where the double slip is, there isn't enough space to get more track in.

Geoff

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah - gotcha - thanks for the explanation :nod::nod:

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm currently self-isolating having been identified as a close contact of a Covid case. I broke up for the holidays last week: always so much nicer doing these things in my own time :( . But it means I have been keeping clear of the family in the new garden room, making progress with three scratch-build IOM 'H' wagons. Progress is currently halted as I failed to order the axleboxes, but they are on their way now. I spent just over a day of my enforced free time building the IOM 'L' bolster wagon kits; I have photographed the build and written it up for submission to GR -but can I find the lead for the digital camera? So there's another online order; photos to follow when it arrives!

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Today my friend and I worked on the Hagen tram and the Wuppertal trailer 429. The Hagener got 3/4 of his second roof. The trailer 429 received spring packages.
77558-modell-bw-429-16.12.2020.jpg

77560-modell-bw-429-16.12.2020.jpg

77527-modell-hagen-74-16.12.2020.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm currently self-isolating having been identified as a close contact of a Covid case. I broke up for the holidays last week: always so much nicer doing these things in my own time :( . But it means I have been keeping clear of the family in the new garden room, making progress with three scratch-build IOM 'H' wagons. Progress is currently halted as I failed to order the axleboxes, but they are on their way now. I spent just over a day of my enforced free time building the IOM 'L' bolster wagon kits; I have photographed the build and written it up for submission to GR -but can I find the lead for the digital camera? So there's another online order; photos to follow when it arrives!
Not sure what type of Digi Camera you have but if it uses SD Cards a SD Card Reader would have been much a much cheeper option. Just takes the card from the camera and links to the PC via USB. Always worth having one anyway.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure what type of Digi Camera you have but if it uses SD Cards a SD Card Reader would have been much a much cheeper option. Just takes the card from the camera and links to the PC via USB. Always worth having one anyway.
I hadn't thought of that! A lead is ordered now -it cost £2:99. Would a card reader be cheaper?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I hadn't thought of that! A lead is ordered now -it cost £2:99. Would a card reader be cheaper?
Oh probably a little more than that so I think you have done well with the Camera Lead, I would have expected something in the £20-30 mark, a reader could be got for around a Tenner.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Some PCs will just accept the SD card - but you always tend to go with what you know.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Some PCs will just accept the SD card - but you always tend to go with what you know.
Ah forgot that some do have a slot for SD Cards, been a MAC man for so long you forget these things.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Final weathering applied to the 7/8ths scale locomotives. I’m happy with the results:-
8473FA25-23FF-4D7B-A975-E99C59A608B6.jpegD605E24D-54A4-4DD4-A4E1-DF87CF6A10A7.jpeg

I have a few wagons that could do with some weathering as well.