Welshpool and LLanfair Cattle Wagon

Nibbs

45mm Gauge, 16mm scale narrow gauge garden railway
24 Oct 2009
Hertford, UK
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Hi All,

The one thing I felt was missing from the Accucraft range of WLLR stock was a cattle wagon.
I got to thinking that the dimensions and chassis were much the same as the covered van and studying the photos it looked like it would be a simple job to cut out a few planks, remove the door and make up the cattle ramp and top gates.

So I had a go. Pictures of before and after below. However be warned it is not as easy as it looks. The problem is the plastic from which the Accucraft goods rolling stock is made is very thick and cutting it out with a fret saw takes a long time and a steady hand. If you drill it it gets hot and very messy. Still I think the time spent was worth it.

If you're interested I used wooden coffee stirrers to make up the gates and cattle ramp and the hinges are made up from bits of brass fretwork that was left from a GRS GWR bench kit. The rivet detail was done by hammering a pin into the back of the brass.

Cheers!
Keith N. (Nibbs)

Before:
a10f8395516a410eae8164a0ea9b3b06.jpg

After:
700ecc78220141249aa2160828abe758.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely done Nibbs....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Excellent job Keith :clap:. It does seem like a big job, but well worth it.

I totally agree that the Accucraft range really should include the cattle wagon - and the sheep truck too.

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
Looks really good Keith. I've just built an IP kit and modified it to represent a W&L version and I've also built a sheep wagon based on one of the Accucraft 1 plank wagons. It is odd that these are missing from the Accucraft range though, I'm sure they'd sell if they produced them. It would also be good if they built the later version of the brakevan.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Midwalesstokie said:
It would also be good if they built the later version of the brakevan.

Another one that gets my vote James. For one thing they lasted about 5 times longer than the ones modelled by Accucraft.

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
That's a nice conversion Keith, splendid.

Of course we will have to see what is next for plastic tooling after the Accucraft L&B coaches are ready.

I'm saying nothing! ;)

Happy steamings,

John

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Sea Lion said:
That's a nice conversion Keith, splendid.

Of course we will have to see what is next for plastic tooling after the Accucraft L&B coaches are ready.

I'm saying nothing! ;)

Happy steamings,

John

Oooohhhhh I'm excited now :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: