Well, that was fun...(Annie conversion stupidity)

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Some time ago I converted a Bachmann Annie to battery power using the same method Tony described here a while back (everything in the tender, splice the power feed into the tender light leads). At that time I didn't take the loco body apart to make my normal mods, but I did remove the power collectors from the driving wheels and the bogie by unsrewing them and separating them from their leads. The loco ran fine for a month or so while I did other things; then last weekend I took my courage in my hands together with the loco and disassembled the beast to remove the bell, replace the smokebox door, remove the smoke unit, repaint the smokebox etc. Contrary to my normal practice I didn't remove any of the power leads; that seemed like it would be an unecessary complication. It was fiddly to get the loco back together but not all that bad and all was again in one piece with nothing left over by Sunday night - except that when power was applied, while the headlight came on the wheels didn't move. You may imagine the expletives; in the end I took to drink.

Following a couple of days in Canberra (oh joy, oh rapture) I got back to it last night. After disassembly and poking around with a multi meter for about an hour I found that what had previously been the positive lead to the track collection had moved a bit when I took the body off, and was shorting the chassis. Five seconds with wire cutters and insulating tape, and the Annie was again performing on spec. Of course, I was swearing at myself for not having done a better job when I removed the collectors, or for not doing a proper job when I had it apart the previous time, but I really think that is hindsight.

However, having now experienced the problem I strongly recommend that anybody undertaking a similar conversion take care to ensure they don't experience the same thing!

Steve

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
learning curve.. open bottle 1st.. then drink..
nicely done:clap:

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:
learning curve.. open bottle 1st.. then drink..

Yes, showed definite improvement......:party::party:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
When I convert a loco I remove everything electrical and leave only the wires connecting to the motor and build from there.
I even go to the extreme of considering arc over between wires.
Overkill x10 on a 12V system I know but I just put it down to me being over trained.
It is a lot safer to err on the side of caution, believe me I've seen wiring failures over the course of my career that end up looking like something close enough to a nuclear meltdown.
She'll be right mate!!!!! usually translates to;
Oh bugger look at all that smoke and flame!!!!!!!