Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
I stumbled across this video today while browsing YouTube. A very creative approach to adding steam to G Scale locos that I haven't seen before. I may try my hand at it when I get a little more time

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Have you thought about live steaming?

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I stumbled across this video today while browsing YouTube. A very creative approach to adding steam to G Scale locos that I haven't seen before. I may try my hand at it when I get a little more time
Chris Rennie from Loco Remote has developed his version so that it has synchronized chuff and output speed based. Controlled from the Loco Remote unit. Still prototype but maybe include in one of his future loco releases.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds very interesting, not using the oils will be much better for locomotives but issues of overfilling could still damage internal electrics. My thoughts are to Tank Locomotives predominantly, Tender ones would not work with these ideas.
1 Overflow to the tank so that excess water is deposited to the ballast.
2 Fill via the right place on the tank to the smoke tank, water secure piping and joins to the reservoir.
3 Working water columns on the railway, with 20 minutes duration this could add another interesting facet to operations.
4 Possible drain plug so water not stored in engine during storage.
5 Use soft water only to prevent furring up of components.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, would like to see more on pulsing it on and off... there was a brief picture of that.

If you proceed, let us know your progress.

Has anyone looked at TRS Trains in the UK?

seems that they are only on Farcebook though:

so looking at the implementation that "puffs" it looks weird because of the way it starts and stops so abruptly... but that response time is great for fast running, where the response time of the typical fan is too slow...

I will have to look into this...

greg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

Choppercook

Registered
29 May 2019
Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
yes I just see this video and will try it, looks good and if it works well will save a lot of money

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
We used 3 ultrasonic generators to create steam effects on our Great Model Railway Challenge layout. They work very well, but you do need to think about condensation, as once it builds up, the effect will be lost. Short, large chimneys and exhausts are the key, so you need room to mount the generator in the smoke box, and ideally use a small fan to provide the draught.

Reactions: 1 users

Choppercook

Registered
29 May 2019
Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks dunnyrail, I have used a smoke genarator made for rc model tanks , they work well and have 2 loco fitted with them and use baby oil,

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Think I've posted these before, fitted one to my Shay using the balloon stack as the reservoir which gives about 5 mins run time.
Not as straight forward as just putting the unit in, you have to sort out a regulated power supply and bypass the switch on the supplied board if you want it to come on when the loco moves. Does give a good steam effect which I think is better than the oil based smokers.

Attachments

• Atomiser 1.jpeg
    Atomiser 1.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Atomiser 2.jpeg
    Atomiser 2.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Atomiser board 1.jpg
    Atomiser board 1.jpg
    678.2 KB · Views: 0

Choppercook

Registered
29 May 2019
Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
yes, but all my locos are RC battery power so fit and run from the power to the motor

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
While it's not the best attempt at conversion.
I did have a go at installing these Mist units into Two Stainz Locomotives.

Sadly due to the limited space of the funnel.
You really only get about 5 to 7 minutes of decent 'Steam' effect before it runs out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Choppercook

Registered
29 May 2019
Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
yes that what I use and have a little pot of water in the boiler of the lock and can have mist as long as I need

Attachments

• mist l1600.jpg
    mist l1600.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0