VERY Simple Battery Conversion advice.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I have a yellow starter LGB shunter that is now analogue due to a decoder popping.

I have a requirement for an instant run loco for the kids visitor etc. If i find place for 4 or 6 AA cells and a switch would it run at an acceptable speed (not too fast) and for 15 mins or so....

I want to do this at Maplin for a tenner or so!!

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I have done a similar conversion.
8 AA batteries under the bonnet, a centre off changeover switch in the cab. I have wired LEDs in the lights with diodes so they come on in the forward direction.
It runs at an acceptable speed & with a decent set of batteries will run for hours.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm probably stating what you already know, but the simplest battery power advice is don't forget a fuse.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
No not stating the obvious! What kind of fuse where? Dutch Elm many thanks that gives me the confidence i need!

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Another consideration is to make sure the loco is safe when the track is powered Ian. If you want to run the loco on both battery or track power you'll need to wire in a switch to change from one to the other. However, if I was you (and considering that it is designed for use by the kids), I'd keep it simple and remove both the bullet pick-ups and the skates. You'll be amazed how much difference this makes to the effecient running of the loco, it'll run much smoother, pull more and the batteries will last longer.

Plus you'll be left with spare pick-ups for other locos should the need arise :clap:.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The pickups & brushes were removed from my conversion & are now in use elswhere. Also the loco has several more wheels with tyres as the non tyred wheels have been reused.
There isn't much point in fitting series parallel or similar switches as the motor needs all 8 rechargeable cells to be of any use & the bonnet is then full.
0e58c87c45d749d5940b0437283f93ba.jpg

Del Tapparo

Registered
24 Nov 2009
Windsor, Colorado, USA
www.gscalegraphics.net
Best answers
Country flag

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
I have made 4 of these simple locos for my grandkids, with just a forward/off/reverse switch. They run for hours using 2200 mAh rechargeables. I find them fun to run too!
Here's my recommendations, which might be different from some other respondents:

1. You'll only need 4 or 5 cells for a reasonable speed. No need to go to 8. Try 4 to start with.
2. There is no need for any speed control, once you've got the right number of cells.
3. I don't know your Maplins, but ask if they have Polyswitches. These are better than fuses as they reset automatically. (see link below)
4. Definately make sure you remove the connections from motor to rail pickups - this is usually simple in LGB (I think - I only have one LGB) by pulling the little push-on connector off. (usually the brown one?)

Have a look around post #18 in this topic:
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m93755