Typical U.S. switching (shunting) sounds advice needed.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I've been asked to install an analogue sound unit in a U.S. diesel switcher.
It has three reed switches as sound triggers for horn, bell and "cab chatter".
I wish to use the usual LGB type track magnet to trigger these so I can only use two at a time.
When out on the road the horn and bell will be available but in the yard I'd like to substitute the cab chatter for one of these by installing a suitable switch.
When used as a yard switcher which sound would be used more frequently, the horn or bell?
Knowing this I could switch out the less frequently used one and replace it with the cab chatter.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil
The bell usually at slow speed.
But the horn is also used on most lines in their yards to signal which way the loco will be travelling in the yard. The usual signals are applied Three 'toots' for reversing etc

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
As well as direction they use the horn to indicate which road they will be ie. road 4 would be 4 toots.

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
What sound system are you using if you don't mind me asking?

If you are using a Phoenix system for example a lot of the horn or bell sounds can be set to an automatic if you prefer? For example when you stop the locomotive, then change the direction the appropriate horn signal will sound automatically. For example, as Mike quite rightly pointed out above, two toots for a forward movement or three for in reverse (from standing). The bell can also be set to automatic and will sound when the loco moves off from a standstill.

Just a thought that might help a little

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
supagav said:
What sound system are you using if you don't mind me asking?

The sound system is by PH Hobbies.

Thanks to input to this topic I have decided to install a switch to select horn or cab chatter. The track magnet will trigger a moving loco rather than a starting one. I think horn and bell would be appropriate whilst on the road with cab chatter and bell in the yard.