Turn Radius

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Thanks all! My late night doodle was really just playing around, and I appreciate all the feedback. Yes, I do need to get practical, and I do need to define the purpose of the space.

The purpose of the run-around on the main line on the right was for my switcher engine. A local friend suggested I add it, but I'm not wed to it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 10.46.11 AM.png

Gavin Sowry Gavin Sowry , Are you saying to also lose the (pseudo) A/D track?

Thanks again, All!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all! My late night doodle was really just playing around, and I appreciate all the feedback. Yes, I do need to get practical, and I do need to define the purpose of the space.

The purpose of the run-around on the main line on the right was for my switcher engine. A local friend suggested I add it, but I'm not wed to it.

View attachment 261061

Thanks again, All!
Aha if it is just for parking a switcher (or pilot in British Railway Workers language) then either of the red lines below would work and save you a point.
97030132-6368-478B-B5CF-0F0C0C86485D.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Normally a runaround track will encompass almost a full train, so that one is pretty darn short, and the rest of the track already has a much longer and more useful runaround.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 261061

Thanks again, All!

Not too sure what you mean, but that very short run around loop near the right hand wall is next to useless (you already have a run around, just to the left of it). I suggested that you take one end of the short loop out, and extend what in effect will be a dead end siding.

Glad to be of assistance.

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
By the way, this is something like we are envisioning for the first phase of the outside railway. I have done nothing yet to see if those curves are realistic or not, but I just thought I might share the starting point for our outside area once the train leaves the barn. Sidings and stations and crossovers and such are not represented (obviously). The round dark bit is a pond.

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 2.04.59 PM.png

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Here's one more take incorporating Gav's, Jon's and Greg's ideas with one more from me.

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 2.27.52 PM.png

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here's one more take incorporating Gav's, Jon's and Greg's ideas with one more from me.

View attachment 261067
Yet another option, however I am not sure that we fully understand the access to the Barn, looks like from the overview (post #65) that a part of it may have been dedicated to the Railway? Without access both sides 5 tracks is about as much as it is sensible to have for access across the complete set of Sidings and even then the width between tracks needs to be reduced to get them all in and that reduction does not work for curves.

All told I think the site may be a little trickier than we imagine.

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Yet another option, however I am not sure that we fully understand the access to the Barn, looks like from the overview (post #65) that a part of it may have been dedicated to the Railway? Without access both sides 5 tracks is about as much as it is sensible to have for access across the complete set of Sidings and even then the width between tracks needs to be reduced to get them all in and that reduction does not work for curves.

All told I think the site may be a little trickier than we imagine.
I'm not sure I follow. The rear left corner of the barn has been slated for indoor Railway space. It is an unfinished space, so we have a fair bit of flexibility.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
There seems to be a lot of suggestions so here is mine as an alternative to one plan. That short runaround has wasted track length (the two curves) at either end so how about changing those curves for points thus lengthening the runaround?

141280_1c42bf7e6012ae6af557a9e42834861e.jpg

Paul

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Ok it's time for pics...
Could you show us views were you are thinking of placing this,
That's going to be a while. I need to wait for some snow to melt, so I can move things around and get into that space. I will though!

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
There seems to be a lot of suggestions so here is mine as an alternative to one plan. That short runaround has wasted track length (the two curves) at either end so how about changing those curves for points thus lengthening the runaround?

View attachment 261076

Paul

I like your concept, but, as shown, there is a small technical flaw.... by inserting the turnouts, as you have here, you have impinged on the line needed for the curve and you will have insufficient spacing between tracks.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I like your concept, but, as shown, there is a small technical flaw.... by inserting the turnouts, as you have here, you have impinged on the line needed for the curve and you will have insufficient spacing between tracks.
You are forgiven as I didn't fully explain that I have a secret weapon to make it all work....

............I have the lump hammer.

Paul

PS Yes, I did wonder if it was too close.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure I follow. The rear left corner of the barn has been slated for indoor Railway space. It is an unfinished space, so we have a fair bit of flexibility.
Aha I was thinking that the size of Barn for your use was the size you show us?

So if I understand you correct, there is access at the Left all along and on the right a door to gain access as well with any track board being in the middle of the area? This being so you just need to allow a person width to the right for most of the length from the access door I would guess?

Noting my words about how far one can lean across to gain access to any track for cleaning and other maintenance.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think we need a bigger barn :emo: :emo:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think we need a bigger barn :emo: :emo:

Looking at post #65..

IF the ruddy-great grey lump is all barn.. Then the size of the barn is not the problem.. ;)

I think the are is an existing/proposed partitioned-off section of the main building?? - Sensible, knowing how dusty/dirty barns can get.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at post #65..

IF the ruddy-great grey lump is all barn.. Then the size of the barn is not the problem.. ;)

I think the are is an existing/proposed partitioned-off section of the main building?? - Sensible, knowing how dusty/dirty barns can get.
It could be full of lump hammers .... ;)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It could be full of lump hammers .... ;)

If so, they will have to stay there!
- We have been over the shipping-costs, and duties-payable, bringing things into the UK from the US.. :(:(:mad: