Treadplate sizes

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Recently I have been buying scale tread plate for a couple of projects I'm working on. I wonder how the makers arrive at their scaling. In the picture below is one stated as being 1:25, the beige one, 1:50, the white one (both Slaters products) and the brass one, sold by Swift16 for 16 mm scale applications, single tread not double as the Slaters products. The tread lengths on each, respectively, 5 mm, 2.5 mm,1.5 mm. The only one that looks near to my eye, for 16 mm or 1:20.3 scale application, is the product stated as 1:50.

A problem with a lot of listings for this type of product, even Slater's own, is they give a nominal scale not tread size. Very frustrating. Anybody want to measure up some real life double or single treadplate and see which one it scales to best at 16 mm ? I'm just off to count the hairs on the palm of my hand now :D Max

20210804_171817.jpg

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Recently I have been buying scale tread plate for a couple of projects I'm working on. I wonder how the makers arrive at their scaling. In the picture below is one stated as being 1:25, the beige one, 1:50, the white one (both Slaters products) and the brass one, sold by Swift16 for 16 mm scale applications, single tread not double as the Slaters products. The tread lengths on each, respectively, 5 mm, 2.5 mm,1.5 mm. The only one that looks near to my eye, for 16 mm or 1:20.3 scale application, is the product stated as 1:50.

A problem with a lot of listings for this type of product, even Slater's own, is they give a nominal scale not tread size. Very frustrating. Anybody want to measure up some real life double or single treadplate and see which one it scales to best at 16 mm ? I'm just off to count the hairs on the palm of my hand now :D Max

View attachment 288517
My vintage bus (Eastern Coachworks body) had tread plate all over the place - cab floor, entrance steps, bulkhead kickplate, recessed body footstep for driver, battery cradle, emergency exit flooring and step etc. From memory they were all different. I have a selection of sheets like yours. I just use what looks right in a given location.