Trainline45's new Pfiffi (HSB 99-6101)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As part of a very large box that arrived on Friday (which also contained TL45's HSB "Traditionswagen" old-time coach set, as already pictured and reviewed by Stockers a few months ago), here are the first out-of-the-box pics of my new TL45 "Pfiffi".... sorry the photos are not great, I'll try to take some better ones in natural light in a day or two, but this was her first run on the test rollers.
Zimo sound decoder installed, which sounds really, really nice, and (like the TL45 Harz Mallet) she also has a pulsed smoke unit which is quite effective - chucks out quite a good smoke plume when warmed up, it was running in the photos and you may be able to make out the smoke, though it looks much better in reality.
Very pleased so far with the running and the sound (there is a manual volume control operated by turning the hemispherical top of the Steam Dome). More detailed review and (hopefully) some better pics to follow, but generally so far I'm very happy with it!

Pfiffi rollers1.jpeg

Pfiffi rollers2.jpeg

Pfiffi rollers3.jpeg

Pfiffi rollers4.jpeg

Jon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very nice, and shiny!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very nice, and shiny!

The "shine" is mostly the effect of the camera flash, Alan - in reality it's the same sort of satin finish (matt black with just a hint of a sheen under electric light) that the TL Mallets are, or indeed any LGB black loco.

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just to add to the "review" with a few more thoughts...
Pfiffi is an attractive loco, well-proportioned, about the same overall size as the LGB Rugen 0-8-0; it looks less "chunky" than the Harz 2-6-2 (99-6001), and nicely fills a gap in the HSB loco roster - I believe that prior to the new TL45 release the only G scale models of Pfiffi and Fiffi (the sister locos, 6101 and 6102, the main differences between them being the length of the side tanks and the fact that one has a superheater - I can never recall which) were the very expensive and rare KISS versions.
On the subject of expense, there is no doubt that the TL Pfiffi is not a cheap loco, but it's about on a par with similar LGB models such as the aforementioned Rugen tank; I would say its level of detail and finish are very similar to current LGB standards too - while the boiler does have some moulded-on pipework there is also quite a bit of separately-applied plumbing, plus some very fine handrails which, although plastic, are not made of bendy stuff.... there is enough fine detail that you need to think twice about how to pick the loco up - the safest method I've found is by the cab windows (unlike the Mallet it's a one-piece cab so you don't risk the roof coming loose!) and under the footplate just behind the front bufferbeam.
As I've already mentioned, the Zimo decoder is very nice - it has some great little touches like the lamps taking a second or two to come up to full brightness when you turn them on, rather than just flicking instantly from off to on.
The pulsed smoke unit (which is one thing you won't find on a comparably-priced LGB model) produces a good volume of smoke, and a handy pipette is supplied to fill the unit (3ml is the recommended fill) although you don't actually get any smoke oil, not even a little starter bottle!
Some chunks of real coal are supplied to go in the rather large open bunker on the left hand tank top, but these are really oversized lumps, and of course if you put them in loose you've then got to be careful not to tip the loco up - I'm going to make up a solid block using some of the much better sized "coal" lookalike that Dunelm sell as Vase Filler (see my post about that from some time back).

I will add some more comments to this thread as and when I think of them. Overall I've very happy with the loco!

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
... TL45's HSB "Traditionswagen" old-time coach set, as already pictured and reviewed by Stockers a few months ago) ...

Please could you provide a link? Tried to search this topic, but no luck...

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.
This does look nice. I had a look at the Train line 45 website and noticed they only have 2 steam locos. This one and a Mallett. The Mallet seems to come in several configurations for DCC - one with ZIMO sound and decoder; one with ZIMO sound and Massoth decoder and one with Massoth sound and Massoth decoder. Apart from this, all three seem to be the same. The first two have the same price and the 3rd is a bit cheaper. [They also do a green one with a different road number] Now, do you know if there is any particular advantage to purchasing the ZIMO vs the Massoth decoder. In other words do you reckon a ZIMO decoder justifies an extra 100 euro price tag? I know nothing about the quality of ZIMO decoders vs Massoth. Also, and I suppose this is of even more significance, will a Massoth 1200Z central station drive both these decoder types with equal ease?
A lot of questions there, but I have not tried Train line before, but I do have quite a few LGB steam locos.
I also note that Model-Land sells these for a couple of hundred Euros less than the Trainline RRP. Have you seen anyone who does a better deal?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi NCS,

Last question first, I bought my Pfiffi and the coaches set from Modell & Gartenbahn A. Huntemann, in Harpstedt, Germany - also known as "Hunti's Modellshop", web www.gartenbahnshop.de - they are very competitive on price (even better than Modell-Land), they speak (or at least email) in good English and I've always had great service from them - I've bought several major purchases from them including LGB and TL45 locos. Worth asking them for a specific quote on what you want, as they've usually offered me prices that were a bit lower than their own website listings show!

I have both the TL45 Mallets, the black 5901 and green 5902 - the black one came with the Massoth decoder, the green with the Zimo. Now, the Massoth decoder works just fine, there is nothing wrong with it - BUT the Zimo option has, in my opinion, much better sound. In the end it is down to whether you think the Zimo is worth the extra - if you just got the Massoth one you'd probably be very happy with it, but when you hear the two together as a direct comparison then the Zimo is undoubtedly superior. You pays yer money, etc......

The TL45 locos are not far off the price on an LGB equivalent with similar features, and I do like them. They don't quite have the "bomb-proof" feel that LGB has, some of the detail can be a little fragile, but if you're not in the habit of handling your locos roughly then I wouldn't say that is a big problem. Let's just say they are probably not the locos to bring out when small relatives are visiting and wanting to play trains.....

One thing to bear in mind is that LGB have been building G scale locos for nigh-on fifty years, whereas TL45 are very much new boys on the block..... their first loco release (the V3 diesel shunter) was not great, very basic and quite disappointing in many ways. The HSB Mallet came next, a great improvement in details and overall construction but even then they had some problems with the very first batch - subsequent production ones are fine (including all of the run of 5902 green ones). They've had a steep learning curve into the market, but with the new Pfiffi I reckon they've got it right first time!

Oh, and both the Massoth and Zimo decoders work just fine on my Massoth Dimax 1200/Navigator combo. :)

Jon.

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Jon
Thanks for this. I actually like the look of the green one, although Modell-land only have the black one in stock. [I saw it on YouTube, with sound] I hadn't looked at Huntemann, but I should have [and will]. I too have bought a few things from them in the past and found them to be very good. Indeed, I have a limited edition LGB loco on backorder with them!

Cheers

Nigel

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Fully support Jon re the Zimo Decoder version of the Mallett. Has many more sound options with Wheel Squeeling being my favourite. The Inch Forward to Couple up is also very cool. If I had my back time to replace the Black One it would be Zimo Fitted.
JonD

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Pfiffi is an attractive loco, well-proportioned, about the same overall size as the LGB Rugen 0-8-0; it looks less "chunky" than the Harz 2-6-2 (99-6001), and nicely fills a gap in the HSB loco roster - I believe that prior to the new TL45 release the only G scale models of Pfiffi and Fiffi (the sister locos, 6101 and 6102, the main differences between them being the length of the side tanks and the fact that one has a superheater - I can never recall which) were the very expensive and rare KISS versions.
On the subject of expense, there is no doubt that the TL Pfiffi is not a cheap loco, but it's about on a par with similar LGB models such as the aforementioned Rugen tank; I would say its level of detail and finish are very similar to current LGB standards too - while the boiler does have some moulded-on pipework there is also quite a bit of separately-applied plumbing, plus some very fine handrails which, although plastic, are not made of bendy stuff.... there is enough fine detail that you need to think twice about how to pick the loco up - the safest method I've found is by the cab windows (unlike the Mallet it's a one-piece cab so you don't risk the roof coming loose!) and under the footplate just behind the front bufferbeam.
As I've already mentioned, the Zimo decoder is very nice - it has some great little touches like the lamps taking a second or two to come up to full brightness when you turn them on, rather than just flicking instantly from off to on.
The pulsed smoke unit (which is one thing you won't find on a comparably-priced LGB model) produces a good volume of smoke, and a handy pipette is supplied to fill the unit (3ml is the recommended fill) although you don't actually get any smoke oil, not even a little starter bottle!
Some chunks of real coal are supplied to go in the rather large open bunker on the left hand tank top, but these are really oversized lumps, and of course if you put them in loose you've then got to be careful not to tip the loco up - I'm going to make up a solid block using some of the much better sized "coal" lookalike that Dunelm sell as Vase Filler (see my post about that from some time back).

I will add some more comments to this thread as and when I think of them. Overall I've very happy with the loco!

Jon.
I have owned the KIss versions of both Pfiffi and Fiffi for some time now. They were purchased new from Tim at Arcadia Models and cost only a couple of hundred Quid more than Trainline version now available. I cannot compare the sound but they are fitted with ESU sound chips which to me are a little thinner in tone than the Lgb massoth units that infest the majority of my stock. The Trainline version does look more robust than the delicate filigree fitments of the Kiss Locos. A photo or two of my locos exist on the YDGS website.

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.
I have owned the KIss versions of both Pfiffi and Fiffi for some time now. They were purchased new from Tim at Arcadia Models and cost only a couple of hundred Quid more than Trainline version now available. I cannot compare the sound but they are fitted with ESU sound chips which to me are a little thinner in tone than the Lgb massoth units that infest the majority of my stock. The Trainline version does look more robust than the delicate filigree fitments of the Kiss Locos. A photo or two of my locos exist on the YDGS website.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Thanks for the review Jon, it's on my shopping list now :)
You mentioned the volume control using the steam dome, I found the volume easier to control on my Mallet after I allocated two function buttons (one for up and one for down) on my handset. It's just a case of changing three CVs on the decoder.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the review Jon, it's on my shopping list now :)
You mentioned the volume control using the steam dome, I found the volume easier to control on my Mallet after I allocated two function buttons (one for up and one for down) on my handset. It's just a case of changing three CVs on the decoder.

I think you'll like it if you go for one, though I'd maybe wait another few weeks till the Euro rate settles down again - it's inching its way back up.....

Which three CVs do you change, out of interest? I think I'm happy to leave mine on manual volume control, but I'd like to know how you did it....?

Jon.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I was going to wait til later in the year Jon, let things settle down a bit more.
For volume control you want
CV 395 - Controls maximum volume. Normally a value of 64 but no higher than 100.
CV 396 - F button used to decrease volume. 0-29
CV 397 - F button used to increase volume to maximum set in CV 395. 0-29
You can use these CVs to control volume using functions on all the current Zimo sound decoders although if it doesn't work on an older decoder a software update may be required.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bringing up the subject of Pfiffi I bought one last year and it has been the most disapointing G Scale Loco I have bought, not for the looks it is great if a litle shiny, but that can be attended to. No the runnng has always been awful even on clean indoor tracks. I have mentioned this before and I do not believe it to be a faulty Loco. No it is the pickup arrangement. 3 Axles, the Centre one has no pickups. Down to 6 power pickup points. One of the whees has Traction Tyres now down to effectively 5 pickup points. Even an LGb Corpet can manage better than this

I am toying with the concept of turning it into a Battery Loco, wil be a shame to loose the Zimo Decoder as that is what it is fitted with. But I want it to be a runnr so I may use Fosworks and My Locosound. battery kit. Still musing over all this at the moment, it was not a cheep loco to buy! I have had suggestions of leaving the Decoder in and running it by Battery Power as if it was running Analogue (thanks for this suggestion Alan) but I do not think this wil satisfy my needs as there would be no sound if not moving. Plus I think that the Battery Pull required may be just too much kit to stuff inside the Tanks, though I have not opened it up as yet to investigate what may be possible. All such a shame as it is a very nice little loco.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Jon,
you can feed battery to the decoder to keep sounds running whilst stationary.. Not sure which decoder is fitted, but I would put money on two trigger inputs, and possibly a 'chuff' trigger as well. I think you could get 5x sub-C in each tank?? - You would need to have a look really..
Just a thought..

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I think you need to look at the pick ups again Jon. Mine runs extremely well, even on less than clean track. It is a heavy blighter and that helps. Pulls 8 bogies on my slight grades easily.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think you need to look at the pick ups again Jon. Mine runs extremely well, even on less than clean track. It is a heavy blighter and that helps. Pulls 8 bogies on my slight grades easily.

Agreed, Alan - I now have both Pfiffi (6101) and Fiffi (6102), and both seem to run very well for me.

Jon.