Trainline 45 Phiffi - Service Help

Halcyon

Registered
9 Mar 2016
Northern Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I have a new HSB Phiffi 0-6-0T and one of the wheel contact carbon brushes is showing as failed. There are no component diagrams or maintenance instructions for this loco (or the Mallets) that I can find. I've done this type of maintenance on LGB locos, but the underside looks quite different on this loco. I've attached a picture. Before I pile in and start unscrewing the base of the gearbox I thought I'd enquire if anyone here has experience of accessing the gearbox on these locos to change carbon brushes that could give me some guidance for this job? Thanks for any help.18BC0AB6-8E59-453C-ADCE-F38C06C30ACA.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have a new HSB Phiffi 0-6-0T and one of the wheel contact carbon brushes is showing as failed. There are no component diagrams or maintenance instructions for this loco (or the Mallets) that I can find. I've done this type of maintenance on LGB locos, but the underside looks quite different on this loco. I've attached a picture. Before I pile in and start unscrewing the base of the gearbox I thought I'd enquire if anyone here has experience of accessing the gearbox on these locos to change carbon brushes that could give me some guidance for this job? Thanks for any help.View attachment 264837
This is best done with a PH1 bit, the LGB cross headed screwdriver slips with these screws thus possibly ruining the slot. You can use an electric screwdriver but a WARNING ensure that you only use one with a clutch and at the weakest setting. All 6 screws on the plate release it, take them out and return base plate slotting the Cylinder end back in first.
E020A19F-3BDA-4A50-B98C-2A78A8EA36BD.jpeg
When I got mine the centre plungers were not fitted just plopping around in a bag in the box which explained eventually the pathetic pick up and running when new. I was not that bothered as it was to be converted to Battery power.

Halcyon

Registered
9 Mar 2016
Northern Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks very much Jon; particularly regarding the appropriate driver for these screws. It can be so frustrating to damage them. I feel much more confident to tackle this now. Certainly won't be using an electric screwdriver!

Best wishes,
Richard.