Help required: LGB 25910 Deutz pick up issue

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone, I've not been on here for a while but I got my son some LGB feldbahn wagons for Chrostmas so have had it out again.

I've had intermittent issues with my Deutz feldbahn diesel.
It has, since new, had trouble picking up from one wheel, which with such a short wheelbase is frustrating.

My first thought was the sprung pick up wire wasn't touching the plunger pick up body, so I adjusted it. This made no discernible difference. I then ordered some replacement plunger pickups, and that too had made no difference.

The problem?
Turn the loco upside down and apply power, it picks up on the skates and three wheels, but not the fourth.

So with the bottom plate off and the wheels disengaged from the motor I tried a few things. I get power from the plunger pick up to the motor, but just not from the wheel itself. Sometimes it will pick up from the wheel, and if you can run it full speed, it'll go, just about, quite surgy as if the pickup is intermittent still and you can see sparks between the wheel back, and the carbon brush of the plunger pick up.

My last thought now was do I need to replace the wheel itself?
Does anyone have any experience they can share? I can get a spare from Model-land for €19.99 plus shipping but I'm not sure if there is anything cheaper to try...

Or can someone help point me in the direction of someone who could fit battery and RC control?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
and you can see sparks between the wheel back, and the carbon brush of the plunger pick up.

That's most likely the key to the problem.

If you've not already done so give the wheel back a very through clean with solvent and check the carbon brush face is smooth.
If it still sparks afterwards It would seem that a new wheel is needed.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If solvent does not work.. Try a 'pan scourer' or the finest wire-wool, or emery you can find..

Sometimes you get a ridge worn in the carbon brush, and it 'hangs' on the edge of the carrier-tube.. Not much you can do, but replace it if this is the problem.

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
If solvent does not work.. Try a 'pan scourer' or the finest wire-wool, or emery you can find..

Sometimes you get a ridge worn in the carbon brush, and it 'hangs' on the edge of the carrier-tube.. Not much you can do, but replace it if this is the problem.
Could you flip or switch axles so that a different wheel comes into play?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
LGB Smoke Fluid is also recommended as a good cleaning agent in such circumstances, though I feel James that your problem may be somewhat more fundamental.

A good plan with these little babies is a Pickup Wagon that can be permanently coupled to give another 2 sets of wheels to help out. Cetainly makes the running more reliable.
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
That's exactly what we did for the coin operated railway at the K&ESRly. very reliable starting.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Cleaning/polishing the back of the wheel and the face of the plunger would seem to be the obvious action to take as has been said already. I've always found a fibre-glass cleaning pen is good for this (with usual warnings about the fibres being an irritant). Is the carbon brush removable from the plunger - could it be the internal spring that's the problem?

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys... Tried cleaning and sanding with a very fine wet and dry the back face, and cleaned and degreased too... it's really odd... I can't understand it.

A permanently coupled pick up car isn't an option for an engine your want to shunt with...

I suppose a multimeter would be a good thing to check with to see if there is any continuity on the wheel.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The wheel back and tread is the same piece of metal - I cant see how there is a problem there. You have changed the plunger and checked the contact inside. the other wheel and skate is working so the problem must be around the wheel. Odd.
I would revisit the bullet/plunger unit and the wire contact inside the base cover.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
James, in reading your description, and taking a wild guess, despite your having relaced plungers, check to see if the carbon brush hangs up on the cylinder case lip. If so, run over the inside lip to smooth with a small curved fine jewelers file. Imho if this IS the issue, it will cure. I have had this issue with chinese lgb. It is difficult to spot as the plunger may appear to make contact with the wheel back, but is just short.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
So I spent an hour taking apart and putting it back together countless times but at last success, a smooth running loco picking up from all wheels.

With the advice on here (thank you all) I went back to basics and checked everything.

Process of emlimiantion I ended up with the pick up wheel interface.
I checked and the plunger was hard to push fully home so the lip of metal protruded a little - and I also smoothed the end of the carbon brush. With these two small changes I have consistent pickup.

Now I can rub it down and respray it in a more suitable dark green colour and get some etched works plates from Narrow Planet.

Reactions: 2 users

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent James. I have noticed one or two of my locos wheels have poor/intermittent pick up. Have to have a full clean round this spring.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent James. I have noticed one or two of my locos wheels have poor/intermittent pick up. Have to have a full clean round this spring.
Why wait, you will be busy rebuilding your railway then? Dark nights like now is probably the best time.
JonD

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I am optimistic Jon. Christmas is over = it must be spring!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hoo-ray!
Dont forget to add a headlight!

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
....and post some pictures too.....;)

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Just curious, is your model with the 'new' geared drive, or the old belt drive ?