27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Happy Sunday, all!

My girlfriend and I recently moved into a new apartment. Since I moved to Germany, I started growing a (second) small collection of G-Scale mostly through the high availability through ebay.de meaning there are good prices to be (however all r1 curves and points). The collection of trains have been traditionally kept in storage and periodically put around the lounge/kitchen for a few days at a time and tidied away again.

We're fortunately to have a very spacious balcony that we want to make the most of by putting the trains out permanently. I should note, this is a rental so we're limited from making major changes but we're likely to be here for the next 3 years at the least and my girlfriend is quite excited about doing the greenery / plants around it.

I've included a proposed track plan to get the collective feedback of this wonderful community.
Notes about the layout:
  • The station area is towards the middle of the layout (where the sidings exist.
  • I would likely hide the back tracks behind plants/shelves to make it feel like they "go somewhere"
  • I'm exclusively using R1 points and curves as that is what I have to hand and is suitable for the stock I will have for the foreseeable future.
  • My concern is that I haven't included enough sidings for shunting and operations.
  • I am aware that I don't have a connection between the two loops not sure if that bothers me or not
  • I'm currently analogue but may consider the switch to digital now there is a possibility of a layout.
  • The is viable with the track I have now - I also have x4 electric uncouplers, a few isolating track pieces
  • I kind of wanted to use the x crossing somehow
  • I've left space to add some buildings
  • I acknowledge the geometry isn't perfect but ‍♂️ this is G-Scale so there is some give.
  • I haven't named the railway way.

Some general notes about the space:
  • The door you see in the background of the second and third photo is an emergency exit - although unlikely to be used we do need to keep it clear.
  • We are the only people with access to the space (save in an emergency)
  • There is power and lighting outside already.
  • We have a nice view of the terrace from the living area (fourth picture)
  • Space I'm planning to use is 5.1m x 2.8m
Would love peoples' thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 16.12.37.png

IMG_3393.jpegIMG_2725.jpegIMG_5144.jpegIMG_3240.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 16.34.12.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 16.34.12.png
    136 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
connect the 2 loops, do it so you can transit no matter what direction you are travelling... you double the size of the layout.

yes, add a couple more spurs, one on the inner and another on the outer.

Have fun!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Agree with Greg. I would also replace the left-right-left-right bend sequence at the top right of the inner loop. Maybe have a left hand point coming out of the bend. That would also make the inner loop passing loop a bit longer.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Given the weather has been improving and we're (mostly) locked inside, I thought I'd share a bit of an update.

Still no formal name for the Balcony Bahn but hasn't stopped me playing trains. The original plan to have the layout in the space to the left was scuppered because we decided to buy a corner sofa so I decided to tweak.

We've still got two main loops with one stretching off round the back of the sofa (pale green). I've got a few spare points and track to build out the sidings to allow shunting ops.

The grey blocks in the diagram are two raised planters I'm going to build. The one on the left will be wide enough to allow the trains to disappear underneath.

Terrace updated.jpg

IMG_1377.jpegIMG_6923.jpegIMG_2326.jpegIMG_9417.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Funny around here you would need some space for the " Grill "

We'd love that, unfortunately, because it's an apartment building we're not allowed grills/bbq's on them due to the fire risk and the smoke being blown into other apartments.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
We'd love that, unfortunately, because it's an apartment building we're not allowed grills/bbq's on them due to the fire risk and the smoke being blown into other apartments.
The smell is some times the best part !

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Given the weather has been improving and we're (mostly) locked inside, I thought I'd share a bit of an update.

Still no formal name for the Balcony Bahn but hasn't stopped me playing trains. The original plan to have the layout in the space to the left was scuppered because we decided to buy a corner sofa so I decided to tweak.

We've still got two main loops with one stretching off round the back of the sofa (pale green). I've got a few spare points and track to build out the sidings to allow shunting ops.

The grey blocks in the diagram are two raised planters I'm going to build. The one on the left will be wide enough to allow the trains to disappear underneath.

View attachment 263791

View attachment 263792View attachment 263793View attachment 263794View attachment 263795
Nice set up, as for a name why not call it the BB for Balcony Bahn?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I'm with Jon, Balcony Bahn sound great

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Or even Derbyshire Balkon Bahn

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice set up....