Track making/making tracks: the good, the bad and the ugly, advice and thoughts wanted, explanation is giving(incl mistakes)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Igor, I always enjoy your updates

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Small update regarding making the slots in to the sleepers:
Unless you are going to build a dedicated machine with one purpose: to make slots into the sleepers, skip the following blades:
For 2 mm thick aluminium skip:
1.9mm thick blade you will need to build a dedicated machine unless you use "softwood"
2.0mm thick blade you will need to build a dedicated machine unless you use soft wood
2.1mm thick blade it can be done with out dedicated machine (my way) but you will need putty, you need to be VERY precise...regarding your mold and your movements.
2.2mm thick blade you must use putty and it will give you the clearance you need(on my method!)
2.3mm to 2.4mm saw blade if you dont care and use putty in the right colour.

So i will stick to 2.1 mm thick saw blade.
Building a dedicated machine it will come in time, and will be a separate thread? or just place it here?

With best regards Igor

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
What a fascinating thread. I've no idea how I've missed it until now. I really love that five way point and the quality of engineering that has gone into it.
Keep up the good work!

Rik

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I really love that five way point and the quality of engineering that has gone into it.
It will be nothing compared to what is coming, i am still experimenting.....i am still not pleased, but almost!....i still keep on learning at the TU..... and myself learning ......but i also want the "old school" how they did it back then...
Now this is the tricky one....the look...dead strait tracks is not the issue...but the sleepers/ties....you dont want to have them dead strait or all in the same angle.....
So probably back to the 2.2mm thick saw blade, so i can "mis and mis match" the sleepers for a more natural look....(back then)
It will take the coloured putty/construction glue, but probably i will be satisfied with the end result.
Now i use a 2mm thick saw blade for 2mm thick alu strip incl putty/construction glue but there is something missing, you know that one itch you just can not reach on your back, and your wife has a bad day...that itch....
It looks fabricated good all lined out everything 90 degree angle all lined up ect......but this is not from 1980 with concrete sleepers or machinery, i would like before 1930 tracks.

With best regards Igor

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Keep up the good work!
I will and i will improve, thank you for your kind words.
The end station: Amsterdam central at 1936!!!!! :cool:
It will take several years...but my great grand fathers wish will be done....his loco and the AA20 on this station....
Yes it is just a hobby :rofl:

Thanks

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
It will be nothing compared to what is coming,
Wow! You mean the five way point is only the first course of the banquet? I can't even begin to imagine what will be served as dessert..... :eek: :D

Rik

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
You mean the five way point is only the first course of the banquet?
Yes it was just a experiment...nothing more nothing less, i am a engineer btw and working 30 years+ in to the construction...
A lot of things i can not name in English, (sorry) are going to be improved, (sorry again),it needs some work to make it good, lets start small: heel blocks and much more...
The AA20 must drive?!?!?!
Dessert is almost there for the strait pieces and for the curved pieces and for the (?)transactions curves(?)
All 3 have there own specs if you want to do it properly.
I will post data for all three for prototypical...there is a catch and it is a big one....
Sorry for my bad English but it is pretty late for me, you know my dogs...you dont want to clean that and i want to train/run....so early in is early out, a early bird gets the the thickest worms, or something

With best regards Igor

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes it was just a experiment...nothing more nothing less, i am a engineer btw and working 30 years+ in to the construction...
A lot of things i can not name in English, (sorry) are going to be improved, (sorry again),it needs some work to make it good, lets start small: heel blocks and much more...
Dessert is almost there for the strait pieces and for the curved pieces and for the (?)transactions curves(?)
I will post data for all three for prototypical...there is a catch and it is a big one....
Sorry for my bad English but it is pretty late for me, you know my dogs...you dont want to clean that and i want to train/run....so early in is early out, a early bird gets the the thickest worms, or something

With best regards Igor
Igor I can assure you that your English is much better than most or likely all of us can speak Dutch except for perhaps Henri and that other poster in your part of the workd.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
(?)transactions curves(?)
Transition Curves. But Dunnyrail is right, your English is spot on. You even get the technical terms right, which aren't usually covered in language lessons. Why are the Dutch so good at English? It seems tobe spoken there as a first language sometimes

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Transition Curves. But Dunnyrail is right, your English is spot on. You even get the technical terms right, which aren't usually covered in language lessons. Why are the Dutch so good at English? It seems tobe spoken there as a first language sometimes
I have posted on this topic before, citing a conversation that I had with a Dutch family while on holiday in France. All of them, including the young children, spoke perfect English, the parents were both school teachers. When I commented on how good their English was, they replied that everyone in the Netherlands has to learn a foreign language, as no one in their right mind would want to learn Dutch.

David

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I have posted on this topic before, citing a conversation that I had with a Dutch family while on holiday in France. All of them, including the young children, spoke perfect English, the parents were both school teachers. When I commented on how good their English was, they replied that everyone in the Netherlands has to learn a foreign language, as no one in their right mind would want to learn Dutch.

David
Very strange, it can't be that bad surely? Isn't similar to Flemish, hopefully I can ask that without being vilified?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Spot on Paul, in fact I can say with certain knowledge that the average Dutch Man or Lady will speak better English than me.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
All the Dutch people I have ever met (mostly on campsites in Europe) have been very friendly and chatty. I once asked one of the why we always see lots of Dutch people on campsites in Luxembourg, Italy, France and Germany and he replied - "Well if you lived in Holland, would you stay?" The parts of Holland I've visited seem to be very pleasant, though.

We stayed on one campsite at Cherbourg, shortly before crossing the Channel back to the UK and I complimented the girl at the check-in on the quality of her English. She told me she was actually Dutch but working in France over the summer to improve her French!

I'm like most lazy Brits - I envy and admire those who can converse freely in more than one language.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
The end station: Amsterdam central at 1936!!!!! :cool:
It will take several years...but my great grand fathers wish will be done....his loco and the AA20 on this station....

Thanks
Wow!! No wonder you want to mass produce turnouts (points). I hope you have a big enough garden! :)

Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Very strange, it can't be that bad surely? Isn't similar to Flemish, hopefully I can ask that without being vilified?
You are safe, I don't speak Vilif.

David

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

With best regards Igor
As others have said - your English is infinitely better than my Dutch - and miles better than my schoolboy French. So don't let that put you off sharing your experiences with us.

No need to worry about getting the terminology absolutely correct. Your explanations are perfectly clear to 99% of us on here - and pictures are universally understandable.

Your engineering background certainly seems to be helping. I really like the way you have taken the basic idea of constructing alu bar track to a new dimension. Prachtig!!

Rik

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
You even get the technical terms right, which aren't usually covered in language lessons
I toke some lessons about railway engineering at the tu in delft they are all in English.
But if you would give me a drawing with all the turnout components(i mean real detailed to the last nail/screw)), i will have to think deep to remember all the correct names.
For more technical English i am studying my whole life in what ever i find interested, most studies are only available in common globe wide English, but there are some versions of English(usa, new Zealandsish, Australia ect)
I really dont want to brag but i study and read a lot, and without being arrogant or being cokie i thank you for you compliment
Why are the Dutch so good at English?
It is our second language it is even a mandatory lesson at some basic (6 year to 12 year old)schools.
Why we are good at it, lets go back a couple of thousands of years on the beginning of "ÖUR" language..
English is formed from "our" native language: neder saxies this is still one of the oldest still alive/spoken language on the planet(the Dutch), your mother language is: engel-saxish, it was derived from neder saxies, just like the German language.
Every Dutchman can understand Swedish/Norwegian/German/Belgium...

Slavic languish are a different cookie, a different evolution, different origin, and way older than "our common" saxies ancestors.

Basically English evolved from "ruff old Dutch" and you forgot your grand parents, we "the Dutch speaking" toke care of our grand children...languages wise.
But never ever compare basic/elementary English from the US of A with Australia or new Zealand with the real English language, a bit the same to say Welish and Scotties are English also...
Dont forget the Queen's English, the only true English.
But i can ramble on, on this subject, but i am hijacking my own thread(not that i mind btw), languish study can surprise you, even the influence of the Roman Empire, they where a major factor in this subject.
Igor I can assure you that your English is much better than most or likely all of us can speak Dutch except for perhaps Henri and that other poster in your part of the workd.
Now Dutch is next to Slavic languages one of the most difficult ones to learn, Dutch have less words but difficult grammatical, Slavic is less grammatical but more words to learn, even Mediterranean is easier to learn.
Dont forget where the people where coming from(Afrika) and settled (europa) before going all over the world...Except native Indians and the Aboriginals.

And Henri is one of the few i would like to meet in real life, but this opportunity will come.

if you lived in Holland, would you stay?
It is to crowded here in most arias, i am lucky enough to buy myself a piece of land far away from crowded arias....i am really lucky i could do some good work to afford where i am right now...
This land was FULL 20 years ago....

So yes most of us here will leave the country if they had the money..

Wow!! No wonder you want to mass produce turnouts (points). I hope you have a big enough garden! :)

Rik
I have enough space to complete the whole station and drive several trains....But i have to convince my wife that she has to get rid of her goats for the complete station.
Your garden isnt exactly small also btw.

they replied that everyone in the Netherlands has to learn a foreign language, as no one in their right mind would want to learn Dutch.
You are right and wrong about this one, let me explane please.
Indeed we get to learn a second language on basic school, but in high school we also have to learn French and German. but we must learn our native language aswel..
In some more sophisticated high schools you even must learn Latin....I wonder what is left after 30 years....not much i can tell you that.

On the other side of the wall they had three languages to learn: there own(Slavic), Russian and German, later on after Communism, German was replaced with English and French and Russian was not mandatory anymore as
language
If you can speak Polish you can speak Bulgarian and Hungarian except grammatical.

Your wrong part:
Most educated real Dutch are proud of there language and i dont mean several dialects that are languages at there own.

Prachtig!!
:cool:
You are safe, I don't speak Vilif.

David
Flemish rings a bell, but far away on a mist covered field, would please help me clear up my mind?
Vilif: i never heard that term or should i say slang? before, could you explane please.

Thanks for reading and your replays and compliments regarding my English, with best regards Igor.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Wait...Flemish you dont referring to my Belgium neighbours? right?
Vlaams that is basically Dutch or you mean mixed French/Vlaams from Walonie?