Track making/making tracks: the good, the bad and the ugly, advice and thoughts wanted, explanation is giving(incl mistakes)

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
It is considered flange bearing if the INTENT is that the flange of the wheel rides in the bottom of the flangeway.

Yes, indeed, it clearly depends on the wheel flange.

If you study mainline/prototype switches, you will see that flange bearing frogs are common, but they rely on a consistent flange depth.

Our hobby has anything BUT consistent flange depths.

Now, if you "control" your environment and have all flanges the same depth, matched to flange bearing frogs, then it actually works very well, as there are indeed substantial benefits to a flange bearing frog.

But, my main point is that for those of us have rolling stock with widely varying flange depths, flange bearing frogs are not a good solution.

Again, the classification of a frog being flange bearing or not flange bearing is by design of the frog, and makes assumptions of the flange depth of the wheels running through it.

The classification of a frog changing because you use different wheels, some may ride in the bottom of the flangeway and some not is not correct... I get your point you could define things from how they operate, given different "inputs", but there is more to the frog geometry than flangeway depth, MUCH more....

Greg

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
A Lot of good info, hints tips and links....please don't think i am ungrateful cous i did not reply.
There is a lot of stuff to learn and to do!
This is not a project that holds one item....
I will get back to the turn out this week....
There are some solutions and changes made, please wait to you see the next result.
Thanks for sharing all the info! All of it.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
On a other site: templot, i found very good pictures of frogs.
A couple of weeks ago a made a attempt to make them, i will save you the disasters, but i was close.
The ones shown in the pictures are from hardtop foam pvc, not the best material, i am waiting for my sheet of uv resistant extruded pvc.
Those frogs and those 3 x 3 way switches are for the "parking lot" inside the shed, so there will be no real abuse, if it will happen i will make new one's.

Bit by bit the experimenting is done.
Some things are left:
Throw bars, toes and the solenoids with micro switches.

20200622_115512.jpg 20200622_115823.jpg

Sorry i am not a photo hero.

Best to all

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud

Here is a link to a thread in made for making sleepers/ties production wise, believe it or not they are exact on measurement for the rails..

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
My apologizes for not posting for so long, i am very busy atm with building my house, i would like to have the roof completed before Christmas.
Plus a own company and a upcoming marriage......
I will report updates.

Stay save you all, watch out for that cranky ping-pong ball with a attitude, it is not a common flu.

Best to all

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Track making FOUR . 0.... 5.0 is in the making.....
20210220_134010.jpg
20210220_134006.jpg
20210220_134057.jpg
20210220_133941.jpg
No problems just like the 3x3 way switch made out of wood, all is running clear and smooth.
Those sleepers are made with 3d printing abs, 6 times more expensive than wood but a heck more free time and way easier.
950 grams of abs was used.
3 weeks of cutting and trying wood against 3/4 hours of designing! and turn on your printer........ 12 hours of printing
In 5.0 it will be less abs and more wood incl the "throw bars?" made out of aluminium...the handle to switch lanes?..please help if you understand what i mean.
The device i put my finger on.

However i think the golden middle way is in those kind of experiments/works 50% wood and 50% abs.
The abs parts will incl frogs and such, the rest wood.
Thanks for reading, with best regards, Igor

Reactions: 1 user

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
I dont calculate anymore or draw by hand, i use templot program.

martin gscale

Registered
27 Feb 2021
amsterdam
Looking very good, many thanks for sharing on the wood part, what are you using as wood or what can you recommend.

Last edited:

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Azobe, but at this point it is equal, azobe plus putty or 3d with abs, if you have the machinery and no printer azobe and polymax.

With best regars Igor.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
i needed some relaxation....Next a 5 way switch..
Schermafbeelding 2021-05-02 184104.png
1:15 for the base/inside turnouts, i should have done 17 or 1:20....
radii inside turnouts 14 meters, outside turnouts 11.6 meters.
Overall length 2 meter 3
scale: proto 1:32
Need to make the frogs the safety rails and the frogs.
I need a other hour to shift the timbering in there correct places, due to the frogs.
Check clearance for the back of the flange and flange drive way, if neccecery i must adjust,
Cut out the rails, group frogs, convert into stl file
Print piece by piece
Than a good Sunday to make the tracks incl grinding point work...(educated guess 8 hours)

in the mean time i am 3 days behind my study:cry:, i will get to it it in time...
No i am not interested in a "stub switch"

Apparently there are two in the real world, somewhere in Germany and one in France.
Both languages i am not skilled in, can some German or France man chime in on this?
To get a "prove"of existence for me?

Yes i will post the results when i am done!
And to think of it, how i started 1.5 years ago....greener than grass....

With best regards Igor

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Looks a very complicated bit of kit, I'm just wondering how the stresses would work in the real world

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Normally something like that would be in a congested space with many tracks.

So this would only be used in a switchyard, so the stresses are different I would submit.

Lower speed traffic, and less "hammering impact" from higher speed mainline trains, and also less side forces on the diverging routes.

Greg