ToyTrain Diesel to Ugly Duckling .....

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
RIK, have you ever tried one of these for placing your rivets?
Dual-ended Nail Art Rhinestone Gem Picker Wax Pencil Dotting Pen Manicure Tool

Dual-ended Nail Art Rhinestone Gem Picker Wax Pencil Dotting Pen Manicure Tool
Brand New
$2.25
From Hong Kong
Buy It Now
More colors
Free Shipping
Free Returns

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good Heavens! What will they think of next? There's a whole world out there of which I know nothing.... A friend had to explain eyebrow threading to me the other day. And as for vajazzles! What? Why? I sometimes feel a bit like one of those judges who has to have things like mini skirts explained to him.... :eek:

Rik

Last edited:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Added a few more details - grab rails, exhaust, air intake, fly cranks, spectacle rings and a few handles.
DSCI3197.JPGDSCI3201.JPGDSCI3202.JPGDSCI3203.JPG

Next job is to add a driver and then distressing and weathering.....

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Just uploaded a video of Chunky. Had a few problems with the Arduino RC system but more or less sorted now.

Rik

Reactions: 1 users

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Just uploaded a video of Chunky. Had a few problems with the Arduino RC system but more or less sorted now.

Rik
Looks and sounds great, thanks for the tip on the rivets, little of my bits and pieces that I'm working on, Bill

Attachments

• old joe starboard side air cooling piping.JPG
    old joe starboard side air cooling piping.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Wow Bill! That weathering looks great already. I feel humbled that my utterances have contributed in a small way to such a marvellous bit of modelling.

Rik

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Rik, you are too kind, it's just pieces and parts so left over from the mason bogie build and other projects, first time that I've tried making rust with salt and it sort of worked after I did it and had to soak it for 1/2 day to get the salt to release found out that it's kind of hard to do with a rattle can. Kind of making it up as I go. Waiting to finish the Mason Bogie as soon as I can afford a sound board and had to have something to do in the mean time. I got some of the self stick beads but the are a disaster so I went back to your super glue toothpick method and other than my shaking it came out ok, for placement I used Mirce flat air plane rivets which you pull of a sheet with tape, press down and there they are in a nice straight line, thanks again for the works and share, Bill

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Rik, have you published your comments about the "issues" with the Ardino components for this particular loco? I'm trying to gather as much info on using them as possible. I have very little experience with software, but have been installing DDC components in my On30 locos for years.
I have been looking at your past comments about the Ardino stuff.....thanks in advance....tom

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tom
I've posted a fair bit about using Arduino with Bluetooth phone apps on my blog, which I found to be a useful starting point as you only need to concentrate on the Arduino in the loco - see here for Part 1 of 4 - Controlling a loco with a Bluetooth phone app and Arduino - Getting started

I've not yet blogged my experiments with 2.4gHz RC as there are still a few niggles I want to get ironed out. I might even have a go at using the Bluetooth module in the tx as well as the rx as that seems a bit better behaved than the NRF24 modules used in the 2.4gHz version.

I'll keep you posted when I've got something further to report.

Rik

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Rik, you are too kind, it's just pieces and parts so left over from the mason bogie build and other projects, first time that I've tried making rust with salt and it sort of worked after I did it and had to soak it for 1/2 day to get the salt to release found out that it's kind of hard to do with a rattle can. Kind of making it up as I go. Waiting to finish the Mason Bogie as soon as I can afford a sound board and had to have something to do in the mean time. I got some of the self stick beads but the are a disaster so I went back to your super glue toothpick method and other than my shaking it came out ok, for placement I used Mirce flat air plane rivets which you pull of a sheet with tape, press down and there they are in a nice straight line, thanks again for the works and share, Bill

Bill the plastic modellers (my son-in-law being one) use the salt method and do not have to wait that long for it to work, if you use acrylic paints they will soften in water and let the water in to dissolve the salt, oil based paints need a very light rub with an mild abrasive pad just to scratch the paint surface to let the water throughto dissolve the salt.
They also use "Vegemite" a yeast extract spread synonymous with Australia instead of salt.
I have not used either method yet but have seen the results and they are impressive, as your results were when I saw a picture.

38thfoot

Grand dreams; limited talent
19 Nov 2013
Hazel Grove, S Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Is the loco big enough to fit the RC gubbins in if you cut the cab off to make open cabbed?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Is the loco big enough to fit the RC gubbins in if you cut the cab off to make open cabbed?

Yes. The batteries are under the rear bonnet and the RC gear is in the front. I've also squeezed lead weights into various books and crannies to give it pulling power.

Rik