Totally new

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
But if you use 32mm you can have o gauge meetings

Well that's very true, but from what I see - due to the large radius of curvature requirements of gauge one - far more gauge one running takes place on garden lines than does 0 gauge running, which tends to be more indoors.

So I think the OP's garden line would likely be more attractive to gauge one people rather than 0 gauge people - as long as it was laid with something like a 10 Ft. minimum radius.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah but.. (sweeping generalisation) most Gauge 1 persons would not be seen dead running on code 332 'LGB-type' track.. ;)

As the OP has Grand Children involved, he could do a lot worse than considering something like this, as a 'quick-fix' for young persons (of any age):

DSC02038.JPG

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Once you have your LGB in the garden the grandkids even play together, and that's my excuse for my garden railway, and I'm sticking to it ;)

IMG_0550 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah but.. (sweeping generalisation) most Gauge 1 persons would not be seen dead running on code 332 'LGB-type' track.. ;)

Well again I would agree with you - but at least it's possible to run gauge one stock on code 332 rail - whereas the reverse is not neccessarily true.

In other words, most LGB type stock cannot run on G1MRA Standard track - and certainly not on G1MRA finescale track - without the wheel flanges hitting the rail chairs - not to mention the problems with points and check rails.

Last edited:

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I’ve taken the bull by the horns (after reading and re-reading) a lot of posts on this forum and other sites.

As I write this I’m awaiting delivery of an LGB starter set with ‘Stainz’ loco.

Over the coming months (weather permitting), I’ll start constructing the track supports and see how we go.

Les.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:clap::clap:

If you cut the grass regularly...

DSC01948.JPG

Though a patio (or deck) would probably be better, this time of year? :think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well again I would agree with you - but at least it's possible to run gauge one stock on code 332 rail - whereas the reverse is not neccessarily true.

In other words, most LGB type stock cannot run on G1MRA Standard track - and certainly not on G1MRA finescale track - without the wheel flanges hitting the rail chairs - not to mention the problems with points and check rails.
Hm not necessary correct. My friend uses Peco Gauge 1 Standard Gauge Track and Markway Points as he says it represent Swiss Metre Gauge Main Line Rail Section much better. He only has problems with Old LGB Stock thumping the Chairs, newer LGB (say this Century) has no issues.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Apparently, Tenmille code 250 rail is a great compromise, for those who run 'G' and ''1'..

I know of a dual gauge track where the owner spiked a third rail in this.. :eek:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
So it seems you will be running 45 mm track gauge Lez 2000, at least for starters. Now the fun begins.

If you want something robust where there is an off the shelf track item to deal with just about any track configuration requirement then stay with a code 332 rail based system that your started set uses, as there are a host of compatible systems for it out there. If a nearer scale track appearance is your thing then go with a code 250 based system. Yes you can mix and match with different rail codes but it can be a bit of a faff.

There are even some suppliers out there that can provide you with dual gauge 45/32mm track in either code 332 or 250 rail, points and all. Now I'm just being perverse. But it can appeal to some who run stock that scales correctly and is made for 45 mm gauge and also run stuff who's correct gauge is 32 mm, but similar scales. I run US Fn3 and UK 16 mm scaled items, I should be a natural for that combination approach but as my 16 mm stuff can run on both I stuck with 45 mm ;) Max

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
So it seems you will be running 45 mm track gauge Lez 2000, at least for starters. Now the fun begins.

If you want something robust where there is an off the shelf track item to deal with just about any track configuration requirement then stay with a code 332 rail based system that your started set uses, as there are a host of compatible systems for it out there. If a nearer scale track appearance is your thing then go with a code 250 based system. Yes you can mix and match with different rail codes but it can be a bit of a faff.

There are even some suppliers out there that can provide you with dual gauge 45/32mm track in either code 332 or 250 rail, points and all. Now I'm just being perverse. But it can appeal to some who run stock that scales correctly and is made for 45 mm gauge and also run stuff who's correct gauge is 32 mm, but similar scales. I run US Fn3 and UK 16 mm scaled items, I should be a natural for that combination approach but as my 16 mm stuff can run on both I stuck with 45 mm ;) Max
Thanks Max,
I can’t really see me being too fussy about scale; as long as I get some enjoyment out of the layout and rolling stock I’ll be quite happy.
Regards,
Les.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Max,
I can’t really see me being too fussy about scale; as long as I get some enjoyment out of the layout and rolling stock I’ll be quite happy.
Regards,
Les.
Good start, you'll probably find a particular line or era you prefer but enjoy your trains in your own way