Today I finished a trestle for a section of my line that had been supported with pebbles and bricks.

skycap

Registered
11 May 2016
USA
Best answers
image2.JPG image1.JPG Yesterday I finished a trestle for a section of my line that had been supported with pebbles and bricks. I have a RH Billy kit coming next week and wanted to be sure this was done in advance. I wasn't trying to be prototypical I just needed something functional and sturdy. I built a jig to make 3 legged bents. I used cedar in their construction. I then ripped cedar strips for cross members. The top of my bents is a straight piece to which I secured the track through the ties with stainless steel screws. I measured the required vertical height of each bent to the rail bed at each location before securing them to the track as described previously. . I was able to place the top of the bents on the fence of my table saw and cut each to the required length by cross cutting. Once secured I then started with the crossmembers which were installed with waterproof glue and 3 x 20 mm socket head self tapping screws which I found on eBay. Each member required pre drilling the ends and applying glue prior to installation. I did not stain before assembly as I was concerned about the glue not adhering properly. This method allows building as you go for a custom fit. Now it's time to backfill and mulch and build my Billy with a slow moIMG_3348.JPG IMG_3349.JPG IMG_3350.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 5 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice bit of work. More interesting than a pile of old bricks.

skycap

Registered
11 May 2016
USA
Best answers
IMG_3351.JPG
Nice bit of work. More interesting than a pile of old bricks.

Thanks. It really is nice looking out there and seeing it. It took quite a bit of work but was worth the effort.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mmmmm tempting :wondering::wondering::wondering:

skycap

Registered
11 May 2016
USA