thingiverse critter build in 7/8s

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
I found this file onThingiverse and decided to work it over. First rescaled it to 7/8s. Then proportioned it to look and feel more like a 7/8s critter. I remade the chassis to work with a USA NW2 motor block. Changed several of the parts to print in resin. Made some new parts fin critter2.jpgfin critter.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
3 of the members of our little group liked the results so much they asked me to develop a little build kit for them. It will be fun to see their buildscritter kit.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice little beast, with having all that space in the bonnet a Battery RC Conversion using NiMh Batteries with either Fosworks or Aristo RC should be a simple job. Nice. A slightly lower cab and it would probably be fine for normal G as well.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Nice!

So, will the files be available to get them printed this side of the Pond?
:):nod::nod:

PhilP.

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
I actually have the dcc board under the consol where there is a lot of space. The battery pack is under the hood which opens for removal or charging.
critter consol.jpg

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice! Have you filled the prints, or are they not filament-printed? The surface finish looks perfect!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice! Have you filled the prints, or are they not filament-printed? The surface finish looks perfect!

Post #1..

"Changed several of the parts to print in resin. .."

Hence the nice finish..
I like the idea of a resin printer.. But it seems a bit messy??

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
In the parts picture everything that is grey in color is resin printed. the white parts are sheet styrene, and of course the black motor block is a stock USA motor block.
Phil, It is a bit messy compared to printing with filament but the finish is really worth the mess.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I must take another look at the costs (of resin printers)..

When I first looked, it was a case of add an extra '0' compared to a filament printer.

Then there would be a age (literally) old problem, of learning the CAD and other software, to drive the thang!
Oh, and the initial 'eye' for what to design..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Very smart :nod::nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I must take another look at the costs (of resin printers)..

When I first looked, it was a case of add an extra '0' compared to a filament printer.

Then there would be a age (literally) old problem, of learning the CAD and other software, to drive the thang!
Oh, and the initial 'eye' for what to design..
I recall going through all sorts of ‘what if‘ tech to assist with my building process. First was some kind of printer cutter using Cad flat drawings to produce side pieces out of thin plasticard (seen at a show over a decade ago), then there was Vynil Cutting for lettering, now there is 3D printing plus I guess many more that I have forgotten. All have to me fallen by the wayside as concepts rather than actually being taken up. In the time it takes to get competent with these things it is quite often just as quick to scratch build. But then I enjoy that process but........ I can see the benefits of Cad for those that wish to go along that route and perhaps making some of what you have created available to others may be of benefit to both the creator (some cash) and those of us that do not or are not prepared to go for 3D printing process.