The "Patio Central" Railroad

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Nice and better with black wheels. I bet it will run all day with a drill battery in there.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The sound of the clickety clackety wheels whilst a cold beer is the hand.....what more could a man want.......no answers please.... :eek:

Highball18

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
26 May 2015
Southeastern Wisconsin
Best answers
Country flag
If the rain clears before the sun sets I will have to get some pictures...

Highball18

26 May 2015
Southeastern Wisconsin
Best answers
Country flag
Well, here's a lousy indoor pic...

image_zpsoteihjs0.jpg

Highball18

26 May 2015
Southeastern Wisconsin
Best answers
Country flag
We're still running trains here at the patio central rr! Since our last visit, our locomotive has sustained some minor damage to the running gear from improper handling (those cross head guides are so darn fragile) but she still runs just fine... we might look into upgrading the engine to bachmann's anniversary style valve gear...

We've also re-aquired a boxcar and caboose left behind from a previous attempt at starting a railroad, and are working on returning them to serviceable condition.

Stay tuned for pictures!

Reactions: 1 user

Highball18

26 May 2015
Southeastern Wisconsin
Best answers
Country flag
StationIMG_2999.JPG
Newly repatriated rolling stock, waiting on couplers for both and trucks for the boxcarIMG_3001.JPG
Here comes the train! Passengers will board out front, while freight cars are spotted in the small yard behind the station IMG_3003.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
I agree (looks better) never understood the American fashion of 'white-walls' on tyres of any persuasion.. ;) :D :happy: :happy:

Was told by the guide at a rail museum that the reason for the white paint on the tires of the drivers was to make the start of a crack more visible on inspection. May of been factual, or not.

Highball18

26 May 2015
Southeastern Wisconsin
Best answers
Country flag
I've heard the same reasoning for the red paint on Chinese steam drivers...

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Things are coming along nicely and looking back to the start of your railroad, I see there's opportunities to expand indoors when the patio's full.

Highball18

26 May 2015
Southeastern Wisconsin
Best answers
Country flag
Couplers arrived! That's one step closer to having our caboose back in service! The last detail it needs is the ladders, which have been started...
IMG_3007.JPG
The valve gear and front number plate have been ordered for the locomotive, and a new front coupler release lever has been fabricated...
IMG_3008.JPG
Still need to order trucks for the boxcar, but we are focusing our efforts on the locomotive and caboose first...

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I agree (looks better) never understood the American fashion of 'white-walls' on tyres of any persuasion.. ;) :D :happy: :happy:

Back in the day a car without whitewalls looked cheap, like it was missing something. I don't know how many know this but there was something called Porter walls, for those who couldn't afford white walls. They were white rings of rubber that were fitted to the tire as it was being mounted to the rim. What we would call today an aftermarket product.

Every once in awhile I will see a newer model car with whitewalls. It's so odd looking.

Now when we are speaking of steam locomotives, I like the look of white painted driver rims on most locos.

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Back in the day a car without whitewalls looked cheap, like it was missing something. I don't know how many know this but there was something called Porter walls, for those who couldn't afford white walls. They were white rings of rubber that were fitted to the tire as it was being mounted to the rim. What we would call today an aftermarket product.

Every once in awhile I will see a newer model car with whitewalls. It's so odd looking.

Now when we are speaking of steam locomotives, I like the look of white painted driver rims on most locos.

As a youth I mounted many a tire, including the "fake whitewalls" that were often difficult get centered. They also added complexity to balancing. Having been to a car show last week, I think white walls look right on the appropriate vehicles. The redwalls referred to for Asian locomotives looked pretty on the GTO and 442 from the 60's.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
As a youth I mounted many a tire, including the "fake whitewalls" that were often difficult get centered. They also added complexity to balancing. Having been to a car show last week, I think white walls look right on the appropriate vehicles. The redwalls referred to for Asian locomotives looked pretty on the GTO and 442 from the 60's.

Ah yes, I do recall the redials on the 442. I loved that car but couldn't afford it, much less afford to run it. So I opted for a Cutlass Supreme in 1969.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday, I saw a cream pre-war Rolls Royce being used for a wedding with whitewall tyres, it just didn't look right!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

I seem to remember white tyre paint was all the rage at one point, easy to make your cheapo tyres look slightly less cheap

Highball18

26 May 2015
Southeastern Wisconsin
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_3011.JPG
Decided to take a trip to the nearest hobby shop, picked up some trucks for the boxcar! All of our rolling stock is now in service!

Here's a picture of the railway inspector watching the afternoon freight rolling by...
IMG_3012.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to remember white tyre paint was all the rage at one point, easy to make your cheapo tyres look slightly less cheap

That's a new one on me. I've never seen or heard of it.