DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Here is my new Mamod Stirling...View attachment 252096
Looks rather nice and the price looks fair. Be interested to see how well it runs and stands up to the rough and tumble of the Garden. Are the cylinders Wagglers? Reading the spec it all sounds pretty good but says nothing about how it is reversed. Slip Eccentrics or via a Reverce Valve? Beattie had a Ceramic Burner but they say an internal Propane so presumably it will howl somewhat. Perhaps you could fill us in with some more information when run, a Vid would also be really good.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Looks rather nice and the price looks fair. Be interested to see how well it runs and stands up to the rough and tumble of the Garden. Are the cylinders Wagglers? Reading the spec it all sounds pretty good but says nothing about how it is reversed. Slip Eccentrics or via a Reverce Valve? Beattie had a Ceramic Burner but they say an internal Propane so presumably it will howl somewhat. Perhaps you could fill us in with some more information when run, a Vid would also be really good.

Piston valve cylinders, slip eccentrics, internal burner that is quieter than Roundhouses and a filler valve so you can top up with water while in steam.

Last edited:

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks Runs and sounds just fine. Slow running appears quite good as well. Only issue for me would be the Slip Reversal. Makes shunting a problem. But as a watch go by I am sure it will be very nice out on the line. Thanks for your replies I am sure they will give others on this site a chance to perhaps make a decision.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
That has the makings of a VERY fine loco for any track, large or small. I'm very impressed. I guess I missed it at the Peterborough show, else it might well have come home with me. The limitations of SE valve gear bothers me not a jot, but I can see a small pot of black heat-proof paint in your future. I fully expect that Messrs Locoshop will be having a field day with accessories for this good-looking loco.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Still catching up on my steam loco, so what may seem like a dumb question, this has slip eccentric "valve gear?" and as such no reverse, and would need a push to go backwards, is my understanding correct.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
You have to take price into account with this loco. Pressure gauge, water filler valve, piston valves, internally gas fired. Not too bad for £660.....019.JPG

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I agree that the price these days is fair. I would have mentioned this Loco specifically for Jimmy as a good starter, but clearly as expected the Slip Eccentrics I.E. a push the other way could be an issue, particularly on a Ground Level Line. As a Handrolic Loco on a raised line it is less of an issue as when you set the Lever to Reverce a short push that way will reset the Valve Gear. Not sure if any were present at Peterborough, certainly did not catch my eye the way the Steam Tram did.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
The steam tram isn't steam though it's battery.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think it's a good -looking little loco that with a few tweeks could be made to look a whole lot better. Most of us who buy a live-steamer end up doing things to it to make it more like our own, and less like other people's, that's why the locomotive accessory people get rich at our expense.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I think it's a good -looking little loco that with a few tweeks could be made to look a whole lot better. Most of us who buy a live-steamer end up doing things to it to make it more like our own, and less like other people's, that's why the locomotive accessory people get rich at our expense.

It's a very plain loco so I put on boiler bands, name and number plates, safety valve bonnet a tool box and windows which I think improves it a lot. Peter at Mamod made me a 4mm regulator spindle so I could fit my own levers. A tender is also being produced to accommodate RC.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks a smashing little engine, and as has been said good value.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Looks a smashing little engine, and as has been said good value.

I've got Accucraft, Roundhouse, Regner and now a live steam Mamod Stirling which has a quieter burner than any of them. I think it's a great loco, it's certainly got character...Allan.
:)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The steam tram isn't steam though it's battery.
Aha forgot that as I have been discounting Mamod as a worthwhile buy for a long time now. Perhaps the stakes are now going up with them.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Aha forgot that as I have been discounting Mamod as a worthwhile buy for a long time now. Perhaps the stakes are now going up with them.
I hope that they don't end up too high and become unaffordable. Say what you like about Mamod, but they are cheap, cheerful, rugged and ideal for new entries to steam.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
001.JPG