The CBR Line is Born..

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Your signals really look the business, and the way in which they attach to the track is ingenious. Nothing wrong with PSC activation either (Pointy Stick Control).

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not perfect for the crossing.. But a little more 'to the right', with a barrow crossing at the bottom of the steps to the base of the platform ramp would not look out of place?

thanks, It didn't put it quite in the right place for the pic as it would squash my little plant :) I ran trains around for an hour with it there and you get a good view of it plus , I can if need be put it in the shed if the weather's going to be nasty as it's easy to reach in that spot, as it's the first building where 60% of it is 3D printed I have no idea how well it's going to suvive in all elements..I have no problem with a barrow crossing as it adds to the scene my worry is the level crossing at the far end where the signal man should be the one too open gates if the box is near them, don't want to add another box just because of the gates, but after watching "the railway children" last night the Porter ran down his platform a lot to open / close the crossing gates, no signal box in that station tho.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
thanks, It didn't put it quite in the right place for the pic as it would squash my little plant :) I ran trains around for an hour with it there and you get a good view of it plus , I can if need be put it in the shed if the weather's going to be nasty as it's easy to reach in that spot, as it's the first building where 60% of it is 3D printed I have no idea how well it's going to suvive in all elements..I have no problem with a barrow crossing as it adds to the scene my worry is the level crossing at the far end where the signal man should be the one too open gates if the box is near them, don't want to add another box just because of the gates, but after watching "the railway children" last night the Porter ran down his platform a lot to open / close the crossing gates, no signal box in that station tho.
Didn't some of the crossings have huts for the gateman rather than a signal box?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Didn't some of the crossings have huts for the gateman rather than a signal box?

I don't know about the UK, but here they had a cottage by the crossing if it was remote from a signal box.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
thanks, Did a search last night and found that we did use gate-mans hut's :) you learn something new every day, we didn't have one around me that I can remember they were usually a single box or cottage if it was a remote crossing, but I am happy with a hut idea as it means the signal box can go where it can be seen better and the logic behind the layout still makes sense :)

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Another term is crossing keeper, they have a small hut of varying sizes, and their job is solely to operate the level crossing as needed,

Depending on the local set up, they might also have a protecting signal for the crossing, or the signals would be controlled from the neighbouring box,

Dan

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Nice picture, Paul...
Fr.Fred

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Rain stopped for Half an Hour so Signal no 3 now installed :)

train03-03-02-2018.jpg

It is vertical it's an optical illusion that it's not :)

train02-03-02-2018.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The track bed is either frozen solid or it's pouring down just lately at the weekends, so been trying to decide how to install my crossing and signal box.

train03 10-02-2018.jpg

First option is to put the signal box on the opposite side to the station platform, the max gap from the end of the platform to a 30 deg curve that feeds my bridge is 900mm so points first, then crossing, then 300mm straight to the curve, starting signal not in the best place and signal box would have to sit back to clear the siding .

train02 10-02-2018.jpg

Next option is 300 straight with starting signal then points with signal box on the same side as the platform then crossing then 30 deg curve feeding Bridge, White piece of paper is the end of the station platform shame the stairs are the wrong end on the single box :(

Last option would be to put the Signal box at the other end of the station and let a station porter come and open the gates for traffic when needed :giggle: as its only a single track road feeding a dead end where the pub will be built one day ;)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It probably wouldn't matter too much, apart from picture 2. The stairs wouldn't be built to go straight onto the road and the bannisters and the platform may obscure the signalman's view of the crossing as he would need to look down.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
It probably wouldn't matter too much, apart from picture 2. The stairs wouldn't be built to go straight onto the road and the bannisters and the platform may obscure the signalman's view of the crossing as he would need to look down.

Pic two would have worked if the stairs was on the opposite end of the signal box, as you say they would never build a box with the stairs straight down onto the road / footpath, SWMBO said whats the problem just make another box the opposite hand o_Oo_O

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Pic two would have worked if the stairs was on the opposite end of the signal box, as you say they would never build a box with the stairs straight down onto the road / footpath, SWMBO said whats the problem just make another box the opposite hand o_Oo_O
You'd better get started then, if SWMBO says so!

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
At last the rain stopped and the track bed was not frozen so it was install crossing time :) decided to add a 300mm straight between the bend and the crossing so that involved moving the Station and everything associated with it.

train1 17-02-2108.jpg

The planks infilling the crossing all clip in, so they can be removed for track cleaning when necessary. need to add more fencing so the would be passengers use the crossing gates :)

train2 17-02-2108.jpg

Testing time just need to build the road and then the Pub now :) and add some dummy lights to the top of the gates I did think about making them light up but it was a lot of work and there are other things to do I can always come back to making working lights next winter.

train3 17-02-2108.jpg

train4 17-02-2108.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Decided SWMBO was correct remove the Calluna name plate from the signal box and install this one at Buxus station, then print a new signal box the opposite hand for Calluna so it can be installed next to the crossing gates where it should be, rather than installing this one in the wrong place because it's the wrong hand :)

Need to print a Buxus name plate for this box now.

Train 18-02-2018.jpg

Reactions: 2 users