The CBR Line is Born..

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
A New Line is Born......well not quite yet but after 3 months of re-laying paving slabs, building raised borders etc. I have at last laid some track all 3.1m of it :rofl: but every line has to start somewhere. I was in two minds whether to wait to spring or lay it now, with winter around the corner it does seem odd time to start outside.
The ballast is Horticultural grit, I am sure it will rain this week so I can see how much wash's away before I decide to go out and buy more and what color it changes too, it's not quite the right color but so far it is all I have found in our local garden centers.
The Large gravel at the back will get replaced with plant's etc. but it stops the weed barrier blowing away at the moment :)

train 27-09-1.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You've gotta start somewhere.

I prefer to use larger chippings for ballast - it doesn't look prototypical, but you have to remember that you've got to maintain the garden, and you can use a garden vac on 10 mm chippings 'cos they're too heavy to get sucked up :nod::nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I only bought one bag to test with so far, they look good, size wise and are irregular shaped so knit together, but as you say they are I bet going to be a pain, the only larger ones in our local garden stores was gravel, nice round pebbles . It's probably going to be a test to see what works and what doesn't and as you say a garden vac is a handy thing to use I have one. One end of my line, where the trains do a turn around will be under a very large tree, probably will use the raised off the ground method there and roofing felt without the ballast to make it easier to clean, as I have not built anything there yet to lay the track on, as I underestimated how long getting a neglected garden ready for a railway would take lol.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks lovely and neat. I have always used alpine/horticultural grit. Its all personal preference. Good look, and we need more pictures...........

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I only bought one bag to test with so far, they look good, size wise and are irregular shaped so knit together, but as you say they are I bet going to be a pain, the only larger ones in our local garden stores was gravel, nice round pebbles . It's probably going to be a test to see what works and what doesn't and as you say a garden vac is a handy thing to use I have one. One end of my line, where the trains do a turn around will be under a very large tree, probably will use the raised off the ground method there and roofing felt without the ballast to make it easier to clean, as I have not built anything there yet to lay the track on, as I underestimated how long getting a neglected garden ready for a railway would take lol.
Ah, yes, getting it done - we moved around three years ago, and this year I have managed to lay just over three quarters of the railway - needless to say, the last quarter is going to be the hardest, as I have to move the remains of the 'builder's yard', dinghy and other accumulated detritus.

In addition, like you, I haven't quite decided on the very slightly raised trackbed construction :think::think::think::think:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Very good. Always better to start somewhere with something simple than spend endless time pondering. It looks like you have a plan. I find alpine grit is a better colour but it's a personal preference. Best of luck, Dave

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Well done that man... a great start..

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Horticultural grit here too. It weathers to a nice grey colour quite quickly.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Well done, Sid, a great start - you've got more track laid in three months than I have in fifteen years (since I started collecting G for the second time round)..... ;)

Jon.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Someone mentioned alpine grit? Okay chaps, out with the lumphammers and this should do for everyone:

IAN_1884.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
BTW to be fully accepted into this bonkers brotherhood (and sisterhood) you have to come up with a crazy name for your line/layout! :) No rush!

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
BTW to be fully accepted into this bonkers brotherhood (and sisterhood) you have to come up with a crazy name for your line/layout! :) No rush!

That is one thing I still have not decided on yet :)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hullo Sid,

I have also just laid 1-6mm Horticultural Grit on the track bed for my new line, and I hope to lay track this weekend.

I was worried I might get problems with cats and the local squirrels digging it up, but it has been down a week now without problems. Laid on 100gsm weed membrane.

My previous railway at my last house used 10 mm sharp shingle for ballast. This looked fine although over scale, and to my eyes, the smaller grit looks much better!

Brought mine on line for £70 for a pallets load of 20 x 25 kg bags, which I had to barrow from the front to the back of the house last week. Locally I was quoted £100, so a good deal, especially as I'm going to need another 2 pallet loads.

Puggy, I reckon your lump of gravel is far too big mate, but the shape is perfect....

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations on a good start. About five years ago I was at the same point but a large planter full of soil and bulbs suddenly appeared in the middle of the planned route.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks Like it might be horticultural grit then as that seems to be what most are using, for once it didn't rain today and wash it for me :D I did wash some under the tap and it's not pink at all so it should look better once it's rained. Laying a whole 3.1m of track at least spurs you on so started filling the next big border with my Mole defenses so I can get to lay track in my main station area. There was a large round steel post concreted in the ground in my way think it's called a clothes post.... but it seems to have gone now :oops:
train 28-09-1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another week on and my line has doubled in size now 6.3m long or 141.12m to scale ROFL decided to power it up and run a train up and down for a bit to spur me on to fill the next 4m of raised bed with hardcore and anti-mole differences :)

Having run a train up and down beginning to wonder if I have put the track to near the side of the border, the idea was to plant it up behind the track but if it derailed and fell off the border there wouldn't be a lot left when it hit the concrete path below... As it's only bedded in ballast with no cement involved I could still move it back away from the edge for piece of mind and have less plants at the back. There will be a wooden edge the length of the vertical paving slabs when it's finished but the intention of that was only to stop the ballast washing off not catch trains.

train 02-10-1.jpg

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looking very good indeed! Nice neat ballast.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Having run a train up and down beginning to wonder if I have put the track to near the side of the border, the idea was to plant it up behind the track but if it derailed and fell off the border there wouldn't be a lot left when it hit the concrete path below... As it's only bedded in ballast with no cement involved I could still move it back away from the edge for piece of mind and have less plants at the back. There will be a wooden edge the length of the vertical paving slabs when it's finished but the intention of that was only to stop the ballast washing off not catch trains.
View attachment 215527
I don't think I would worry too much about trains derailing to such an extent they completely run off the track onto the path. If you had two passing tracks close together maybe but not in the single track you have. If you are really worried you could have a scale-size fence on the path side. Better to have the space behind the track for the planting you originally envisaged IMO.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think I would worry too much about trains derailing to such an extent they completely run off the track onto the path. If you had two passing tracks close together maybe but not in the single track you have. If you are really worried you could have a scale-size fence on the path side. Better to have the space behind the track for the planting you originally envisaged IMO.

Yep your correct planting is makes a garden railway, going to keep the room at the back, measured the gap at the front again and when I add my wooden board along the front face of the vertical paving slaps there will be enough room to add a 50mm wide strip of artificial grass between the board face and the ballast so I can hide all the wiring under the grass or add more if and when needed. Plus the grass and maybe a scale fence would be enough to catch a train :)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good so far. I'd say your progress is going well.