The Build Thread Of My Garrett

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Here’s a few more picture showing the latest progress,

It’s usally a case of 2 steps forward 1 step back as I make progress and then remove it as I don’t like the look of it!

Here’s the pivot I built

6207C311-137C-4C50-8601-A0ADFA50BA7C.jpeg

It’s just an m4 bolt and washer, and some plasticard and lots of superglue to hold it together

These 2 show the cradle I’ve built for the boiler and cab to sit on, this has brought the overall loco height down and keeps the roof at the same height as a standard stainz

AD71B8F7-CF64-40C5-B04B-2A8F899225D8.jpeg

538E75E8-2ABE-4F1A-A0D8-8832B82D45AF.jpeg

It’s had some wiring fitted, and when the weather in nicer, I will start testing the loco, before I do any more

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Here’s a few more picture showing the latest progress,

It’s usally a case of 2 steps forward 1 step back as I make progress and then remove it as I don’t like the look of it!

Here’s the pivot I built

View attachment 234409

It’s just an m4 bolt and washer, and some plasticard and lots of superglue to hold it together

These 2 show the cradle I’ve built for the boiler and cab to sit on, this has brought the overall loco height down and keeps the roof at the same height as a standard stainz

View attachment 234410

View attachment 234411

It’s had some wiring fitted, and when the weather in nicer, I will start testing the loco, before I do any more

Dan
Good thing you have the newer style motor blocks that service from the bottom, all the ones I have are old split case. It looks like you are well on your way to a very good looking engine, keep us posted, Bill

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
So to bring this thread update,

its been sat untouched for a long while, so I decided to try and finish it.

recent work has been

Throw some paint on it
Fit radio control
Cast some custom lead weights

it now looks a lot better, and has even had a short run.
However the weight distribution isn’t very good, as it has the original factory boiler weight, and some weight in the rear tank only.

there were quite a few derailments, so I need to get on, and remake the front tank, and get some weight in it.

the painting makes thing look lots better, and will hopefully encourage me to finish sooner rather than later!

here’s the photos,

Dan27E35893-A0DB-4A6B-ABA2-51B6B78C9EC5.jpeg0AE45528-E48E-428D-9D04-056D12DB7F8B.jpeg

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
So to bring this thread update,

its been sat untouched for a long while, so I decided to try and finish it.

recent work has been

Throw some paint on it
Fit radio control
Cast some custom lead weights

it now looks a lot better, and has even had a short run.
However the weight distribution isn’t very good, as it has the original factory boiler weight, and some weight in the rear tank only.

there were quite a few derailments, so I need to get on, and remake the front tank, and get some weight in it.

the painting makes thing look lots better, and will hopefully encourage me to finish sooner rather than later!

here’s the photos,

DanView attachment 272505View attachment 272506
Something of the Baddesley Colliery GarrattE2E27D6F-C787-4A6F-9334-7C7F515FB1A9.gif

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There has been some talk about Garretts recently in the forum. I think the the general consensus was that the pivots should be quite central. This then should allow you to stuff a goodly amount of weight in the boiler.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
There has been some talk about Garretts recently in the forum. I think the the general consensus was that the pivots should be quite central. This then should allow you to stuff a goodly amount of weight in the boiler.

Got a link back to those discussions, JonD? I'm trying to catch up with the most interesting stuff I've missed while I've not been here (some would say that I'm never "all here"....). ;)

Are there "rules" about exactly where the pivots should be, in an engineering sense?

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Got a link back to those discussions, JonD? I'm trying to catch up with the most interesting stuff I've missed while I've not been here (some would say that I'm never "all here"....). ;)

Are there "rules" about exactly where the pivots should be, in an engineering sense?

Jon.
The logic suggests that the pivot point should be inside the wheelbase of each set of drivers.

Power is one thing, but traction is key to delivering that power.

To get the traction I'm ridin' the clutch
My pressure plate's burnin' that machine's too much
;);)

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The logic suggests that the pivot point should be inside the wheelbase of each set of drivers.

Power is one thing, but traction is key to delivering that power.

To get the traction I'm ridin' the clutch
My pressure plate's burnin' that machine's too much
;);)
"Shut Down" by the Beach boys :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.
This was a couple that I have found. As for the rules, sorry no knowledge but forward of the wheel or central makes sense as you would want to put the most weight where it will do good. Perhaps someone on here will have the engineering knowledge.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
From a engineering standpoint I would think maybe the position of the pivot is dependent on the relative masses of the weight above the power unit and the boiler cradle.

I would think that the designers would be aiming to have as near as possible, an equal mass acting upon each driving wheel? To achieve that you would need to find the point where the point load of the cradle pivot and the mass have the same effect across the wheels.

Thinking in terms of the front bogie: If the pivot was dead center in between the wheels this would spread it's portion of the boiler mass 50/50 between the front and rear driving wheels. However if you then add the water tank on top of the bogie (which has to sit in front of the pivot) you will be spreading the tank mass over the area between the pivot and the front wheel. This will add a greater proportion of the mass onto the front wheel. To correct this you would need to move the pivot back and use its mass at a point closer to the rear wheels.

So in a roundabout way, somewhere between the center and the rear wheels?

I maybe over complicated things previously in another thread :wondering:

Mass Distribution

Great build too, I'm looking forward to seeing it complete :) I've thought a few times about trying to make a narrow gauge version of the colliery Garratt above.

Last edited:

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
Here's a few pictures of my Garratt made from 2 Stainz Locos.
P1000306.jpeg P1000221.jpegP1000302.jpeg P1000222.jpeg
P1000223.jpeg P1000303.jpeg
P1000304.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.
Jon, I have a copy of A E Durrant's Garratt Locomotives of the World. There are a few drawings in it which show the pivot points are normally located between the innermost drivers and the next axle. My effort did not quite match with that so I was prompted to convert from a 4-6-0+0-6-4 to a double pacific format which helped to disguise the fact a little.
P1020234 _2_.JPG

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, I have a copy of A E Durrant's Garratt Locomotives of the World. There are a few drawings in it which show the pivot points are normally located between the innermost drivers and the next axle. My effort did not quite match with that so I was prompted to convert from a 4-6-0+0-6-4 to a double pacific format which helped to disguise the fact a little.
View attachment 272581

Thanks Mike - yes, it makes perfect sense that the pivots must be within the wheelbase of each power unit; just a question of whether having them at or around the centre of the wheelbase, as Ricky mentioned above, is helpful if it can be done? I guess a lot depends on the relative dimensions of the mainframe/boiler and the power units, much easier to do with a "shorty" like the Stainz-based ones than with the monster you've built....

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mike - yes, it makes perfect sense that the pivots must be within the wheelbase of each power unit; just a question of whether having them at or around the centre of the wheelbase, as Ricky mentioned above, is helpful if it can be done? I guess a lot depends on the relative dimensions of the mainframe/boiler and the power units, much easier to do with a "shorty" like the Stainz-based ones than with the monster you've built....

Jon.
Ah, that's Rickie's point - you also have to consider the (prototypical - ish) weight of the tanks / coal bunkers over the wheels as well - that will mean that the pivots will tend to be more towards the centre of the entire loco dependent on the wheel arrangement and the size of the tanks / bunkers.

So, and 0-4-0+0-4-0 will tend to have the pivots near the centre of the two driving axles each end, but a 2-6-2+2-6-2 will tend to have the pivots nearer the inner driving axle each end - all this of course on the basis that no generality is wholly true including this one :nerd::nerd::nerd:

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thought I'd share my attempt of the Baddesley Colliery Garratt 'William Francis".
I well aware the colour is not correct, but I saw one of these in red and liked it.

Body parts were 3D Printed.
213166_47a2323331070fc3f3352e083274d475.jpg

Attachments

• 20191029_135903.jpg
    20191029_135903.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 1

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Some young foamer from seattle
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
kaedmonkeirbrannan.wixsite.com
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 272581
hey this cool kinda looks like what i was gonna build (yes i am aware this thread is a bit old)

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
hey this cool kinda looks like what i was gonna build (yes i am aware this thread is a bit old)
It's a pity I didn't have two of the Anniversary chassis' with full metal valve gear as that would have looked much better. Good luck with your project.