The Build Thread Of My Garrett

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
As I've fancied a Garrett and I can't afford the roundhouse live steam version I've decided to start building one myself.

I'm going to use 2 stainz chassis as power and to provide some body parts.

The first part was of obtaining 2 sensibly priced starter set locos.

After this they were stripped down the motor block only and examined as to how to sort out valve gear, as the stainz has a support bracket for the valve gear mounted on the red loco body that I wasn't using
As seen in the picture it's the loose black bracket.
image.jpeg

It was worked out that by trimming of 2 round raised pips, and removing the l bracket from the end, that the motion bracket can be glued onto the black motion support.

Luckily this method means the the loco can be reassembled and only the untrained eye can spot what's different
image.jpeg

The next stage is to work out the body pivot locations, as there is a screw for the motor access cover and a raised moulding to clear the motor in exactly the wrong place. Luckily I have a plan just need to get some materials

Here's a crude mock up
image.jpeg

I will keep this thread updated, but it will be slow progress due to other projects

Dan

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
It might be a good idea to first run the two around a circle of track, opposite each other to see if they both run at the same speed, if not, when working in tandem on the finished model, they will be working against each other, some little wheel slip will mean loss of possible total traction. been there, done that, search this forum for "Jenny Frugal" to see my version using 2 Stainz to make a K1

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Go for it, Don - good to see yer back :smiley::smiley::smiley:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great. Hope the progress is good and steady. Looking forward to seeing it.

Granitechops

24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
It might be a good idea to first run the two around a circle of track, opposite each other to see if they both run at the same speed, if not, when working in tandem on the finished model, they will be working against each other, some little wheel slip will mean loss of possible total traction. been there, done that, search this forum for "Jenny Frugal" to see my version using 2 Stainz to make a K1

Dont find much on on search on this new forum, probably too far back 2006?? so pics from my archives

Jenny frugal in the quarrties

DSCI0906 (Large).JPG

And beside another Stainz, Thomas Ernest in red

DSCI1555 (Large).JPG

Happy modelling!!

Reactions: 2 users

jeremy.viewing

Registered
15 Aug 2014
Souldrop
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nice start, can't wait to see further developments, is there a build thread for Granitechops "Jenny Frugal" ?

Granitechops

24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Sorry Dan not meaning to hijack your thread

in reply to Jeremy the build thread would have been about mid 2006, must have gone AWOL

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Would have been on G Scale Mad (long gone) if it was that long ago. GSC
had not been thought of then.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice shed, Dan - I'm sure I had one like that once !! :mask::mask::mask:

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great start,keep us posted on your progress,:clap::clap::)

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've managed a bit more work, I'm going no for a k1 style loco, as it's easily recognisable and might make an easier build

Here's the pictures of today's progress

The next job is to make the middle chassis part, I've got one power bogie sorted, started on a front water tank.

And I'm currently undecided about using the stainz cab and boiler but time will tell

And to going to be a big loco, possibly about 59 inches in length!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good..
But I think your bench ahs gone metric, and your brain hasn't! ;):giggle::giggle:
Shirley, that will be 59cm? :think:

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF4893.JPG DSCF4893.JPG DSCF4895.JPG Great work so far !! A long way to go :call: Have been working on a Garrett since the beginning of the year but due to work and other commitments work as ground to a halt here is couple of pictures for inspirastion

Reactions: 1 users

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hanks for the inspiration pictures, it's always good to see other people's ideas.

I've managed some more progress today, I've got a central chassis section and started to trim and cut that to shape.

I've also done a bit more work on the front tank and started on the cab
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The next stage, is more cab and boiler work and then also the rear tank

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I did I little bit more work today, but most importantly I performed a test run, to ensure that the loco could successfully pass over r1 and r3 reverse curves.

It can do with ease, I've even made a short YouTube video in case anyone else fancies building a similar loco

Dan

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
"Welcome to 'Pimp my Stainz!'.."
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
The way it 'steers' with the funnel, early in the video amuses me as well..
:clap::clap:

Interesting to see these.. Keep it up, with pictures, please.
:happy:

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I did a bit more work on the loco today, however it was a case of 2 steps forward one step back,

I started building the rear tank and thinking about the cab and boiler,

I then decided that I didn't like the large amount of daylight under the centre chassis, or the fact that the cab was 10mm taller than standard Lgb rolling stock.

So I made a mock up of a new chassis with is about 10mm lower, and improves the daylight issue.

It does mean that the loco length is now 65cm

The photos aren't the best but show the new improved temporary chassis, that is now awaiting purchase of suitable materials to build

Dan

image.jpeg image.jpeg