Taita Gorge Railway

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
It's moss, growing, in part, over a boulder. Common name for it is New Zealand (how surprising) Moss, somewhat similar to Spanish Moss apparently.
JR did post the botanical name for this on this very thread.... hang on a sec, make that a minute or three, while I find it for you.

Still there Mick? Of course you are (silly question, sorry). Check out Post#386 and 387.

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Still there Mick? Of course you are (silly question, sorry). Check out Post#386 and 387.

Thanks. I'm permanently logged in (to save me remembering passwords!)

Edit; Found it! - Scleranthus biflorus (Cushion Plant)

I wonder if it's available over here? We have tens of thousands of acres (or should that be hectares) of the 'bog' standard stuff. That Cushion Plant would stop a lot of the weeding chores!

Last edited:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
You pair dragged me back to this thread (and not kicking and screaming I might add). Just been perusing the pics again, and remembering last Feb. :happy::happy::happy:

Lurv that corner!!! :D:D

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
You pair dragged me back to this thread (and not kicking and screaming I might add). Just been perusing the pics again, and remembering last Feb. :happy::happy::happy:

Lurv that corner!!! :D:D

You're welcome.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Long weekend, our Labour Day.

Time for some Feldbahn action.

DSC_0049.JPG

Bertha starting to cross the bridge with a rake of coal tipplers.

DSC_0051.JPG

...and disappearing back into the bush.

Reactions: 3 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Bob, I was not trying to snub you with that last post, here, just for you, and anybody else that can see it...

DSC_0052.JPG

Bertha completing a traverse of Bob's Curve later this afternoon.

Technical note (for Bob).... -2° tilt in the photo edit.

Reactions: 2 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Sunday was practice day...... practice for the coming summer season. Trains were run and checked in anticipation of the visit to JR's, the sun stayed out all day, family arrived with mini picnic table for the grandees (which I now have to paint, in Chez Sowry corporate colours), and we partook of the quaint American custom of 'drinking beer in the driveway'.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0154 (2).JPG

Evening tram service. Hand held, no flash, shorts, flip flops, and tee shirt.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
shorts, flip flops, and tee shirt.

You can go off people - real easy! ;)

Just what we need. actually.. To get us through the dark, damp days.. :):clap::clap:

Oh, according to the 'other paper' the Express Group publish.. We are in for the worst winter for 70 years! :rolleyes::rofl::rolleyes:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
You can go off people - real easy! ;)

Just what we need. actually.. To get us through the dark, damp days.. :):clap::clap:

Oh, according to the 'other paper' the Express Group publish.. We are in for the worst winter for 70 years! :rolleyes::rofl::rolleyes:

Thanks for the e-mail.... the rain you sent with it arrived in good condition.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the e-mail.... the rain you sent with it arrived in good condition.

Of course, I hit 'send', and only then thought about what time it might be in Middle Earth! :oops:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
The new season collection.... photos for the start of our summer.

DSC_0156.JPG

The Beer Train making a strategic exit out the back to the big loop. It often holds there to allow shorter trains to use the mainline in the shed.

DSC_0157.JPG

Work train. Yes, there was work going on, the DPDT switch has rusted out, so a new one is going to be installed.

Reactions: 1 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
... and our Christmas Collection.

DSC_0160.JPG

As discussed in yesterday's waffle, somewhere on GSC, this year's Christmas train. A UP helper, just like real trains in the States.

Reactions: 3 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Skip to around the 22-23 minute mark to see what I got up yo at Rail-Ex.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Skip to around the 22-23 minute mark to see what I got up yo at Rail-Ex.
A healthy collection of Lone Star Treble-0-Lectric there. That's what got me into this hobby as a lad :nod::nod::nod:

Not strictly true - I had a layout of die cast Lone Star 'push' trains first >:)>:)>:) until I was about 8 or 9. Our house was not large, and Grandad was commissioned to make a baseboard for the electric version that would fit under my bed and could sit on my bed :nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

The rest is .......................... a very long story :D:D

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
A healthy collection of Lone Star Treble-0-Lectric there. That's what got me into this hobby as a lad :nod::nod::nod:

Not strictly true - I had a layout of die cast Lone Star 'push' trains first >:)>:)>:) until I was about 8 or 9. Our house was not large, and Grandad was commissioned to make a baseboard for the electric version that would fit under my bed and could sit on my bed :nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

The rest is .......................... a very long story :D:D

Comrade Robert is a collector of some rather exotic stuff. Last year, he was also planted alongside me, and was showing off some Soviet Bloc TT stuff (that actually ran).
I think you will agree, all round, a pretty good show... and the vid didn't show everything.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0165.JPG

Expecting upper 20°s later, so pre lunch for a bit of testing. Anything that hasn't had much exposure over the winter is getting some today.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0167.JPG

My logging equipment got a work out..... and some running repairs. I actually use the link and pin coupling, but it is not very strong. I have now screwed the casting to the headstock.
Seen here, back in service, a few minutes ago. Note the repainted water tower, now a more universal red, rather than a Rio Grande style.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0175.JPG

This photo is also posted in the 2018 Christmas thread, but I've put it here as well so I don't lose it. Christmas Eve 2018 on the Taita Gorge at Outback Station.