SUSI INTERFACES

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
C n anyone explain briefly what the advantages/ disadvantages are of having a decoder with aSUSI interface ?
If you have sound and a pulsed smoke generator, must you have aSUSI connection, or could you use a Massoth XLS instead ?

Confused of Dorset

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
You could indeed use a XLS, which will also take the pulsed smoke inputs.
The Susi interface is to conect sound and such like to basic controllers - it is intended to make them 'industry standard' compatible.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
As Alan has said, the intention with SUSI is to allow a decoder to communicate with other locally attached devices - such as sound modules or additional functions. Seems a great idea in theory, to be able to start with a basic motor decoder and add sound or whatever later (and be able to mix and match brands much like you can with decoders in general). However it doesn't seem to have really taken off so far, and will probably live or die depending on other manufacturers adopting it (which may depend on the licencing arrangements with Dietz?)

http://www.dccwiki.com/SUSI

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
TONYWARD50 said:
C n anyone explain briefly what the advantages/ disadvantages are of having a decoder with aSUSI interface ?
If you have sound and a pulsed smoke generator, must you have aSUSI connection, or could you use a Massoth XLS instead ?

Confused of Dorset

The latest Massoth decoders have a SUSI interface.

Do you have a specific pulsed smoke generator in mind?

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
It is already built in to the Brawa loco and is an excellent performer

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
muns said:
TONYWARD50 said:

Confused of Dorset

The latest Massoth decoders have a SUSI interface.

When did Massoth start to fit them to XL decoders? (Thinking of fitting a sound only module to my Bachmann Shay which has an XL )

Hi Roly,

I am unsure exactly.... If you have a XL that uses a green PCB then it is too old, it has to be blue. I think the firmware has to be 2.3 but I am unsure - I will need to check with the guys at Massoth - I will also see if the firmware is downloadable for older XL decoders. What is the value of CV7 ?

52cf9f45ec9e45c0a639a4d8ef583ab2.jpg

The SUSI connector is ringed in the picture - its behind the blue capacitor. If I recall correclty CV49 bit 4 needs to be set to 0 for SUSI operation - again I would need to check.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If you knew SUSI,

Like I know SUSI....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
CV7 just shows the firmware number - its read only.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Roly, I should have explained what CV7 is, thanks Alan.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Right, I can now tell you that there is restricted SUSI support in an eMotion XL decoder with firmware version 2.2 (CV7=220). Full SUSI support is available from version 2.3 (CV7=230).

Currently the firmware (v2.3) is not available in a form suitable to perform a firmware upgrade.