SUITABLE SOUND FOR BACHMANN LYN

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Having acquired one of these lovely locos and having seen how to install a sound decoder I was wondering which sound from ESU or Massoth is closest to Lyn, being an American-built loco for a British line ? Did she have any special effects, such as a distinctive whistle, brake sounds, pump etc ? I have found an ESU sound for a 2-cylinder small tank loco which sounds quite good, but does it sound anything like the original ? Where can I find details ?
Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers, chaps

alec dawe

Railways, Cars, Wine!
11 Dec 2010
East Anglia, 32A Norwich.
Best answers
Lynton & Barnstaple Railway LYD - YouTube
► 2:41► 2:41
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWwp_YDCBX4
Oct 14, 2010 - Uploaded by pbyoufc1
Scenes of LYD running on the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway.

Is this any help?

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I would of thought that the nearest would be the decoders for the Sandy River Forney.

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Thanks, but I believe that LYD was a totally different engine to LYN - is that correct ?

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
The closest prototype that still exist would surely be the Austrailian Puffing Billy 2-6-2's which are a bigger version of Lyn. Whistles are interchangeable so looking at pictures might give you some idea, the bigger it is the deeper the sound. Comparing it to current locos and taking an educated guess unless you can find a contemporary reference to the type. Esu files can be mixed if you have access to a lokprogrammer gives the widest choice of options.
I used the esu BR99 file.
http://youtu.be/ogEhi-awZkQ

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
For analogue DC and radio controlled versions of the Bachmann Lyn, MyLocoSound soundcards do a pretty good job. There is a video of a radio controlled Lyn running on my garden railway at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93rv3335GJo&noredirect=1 . They can also be used with DCC decoders.

We researched Lyn a year ago and, as Paul Rhb said, the Puffing Billy locos appear to be the closest prototype to Lyn still running but different whistles were fitted to locos for different customers. We were unable to find a recording of the original Lyn's whistle. Therefore you can take your pick. MyLocoSound lets you select a chime or a plain whistle and to vary the tone to your taste. No programming...you just need a screwdriver.

You can get more information at http://www.mylocosound.com < Link To www.mylocosound.com. We do chuff trigger and voltage controlled versions. Although Lyn has a chuff trigger, we got better results with the voltage controlled version of the soundcard.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound