Suitable connectors for station standing lights?

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
Hope this question will make sense..as I have mentioned, I'm useless on the electronics side, and my brother-in-law helps me out with it. However when we first got the railway running 10 years ago we found some other guys to do all the essentials for what was then an all-analogue railway, including some station platform lamps. For these, they used connectors of the type you see in the photo (so that the lamps could be removed in winter). Gradually however the lamps got broken in bad weather anyway, but I am going to give them another try. However we don't seem to have the other ends of that connector type, and they are also quite bulky, they seem to be audio connectors. So my question is, could anybody recommend some similar connectors for this purpose, which might also be less bulky than these things? I thank you..

Attachments

• IMG_3384 copy.jpg
    IMG_3384 copy.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hope this question will make sense..as I have mentioned, I'm useless on the electronics side, and my brother-in-law helps me out with it. However when we first got the railway running 10 years ago we found some other guys to do all the essentials for what was then an all-analogue railway, including some station platform lamps. For these, they used connectors of the type you see in the photo (so that the lamps could be removed in winter). Gradually however the lamps got broken in bad weather anyway, but I am going to give them another try. However we don't seem to have the other ends of that connector type, and they are also quite bulky, they seem to be audio connectors. So my question is, could anybody recommend some similar connectors for this purpose, which might also be less bulky than these things? I thank you..
You could look at Radio Control Connectors, they will give you 3 wires. Not sure how they will fare outside though. Another option might be to take out some parts from an old computer or radio if you have one about. Lots of connectors to circuit boards in computers. Will mean some work though........

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
I have used gold plated 3.5 mm mono jacks and sockets to good effect in the garden. Much less corrosion issues than the nickle plated version.
I've had a whole string of 12v garden lights running with this type of connector for over 3 years with no issues.
Regards,
Paul.