Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
95mm is not wider than 93mm?

Ah, this modern math, eh?
Obviously a statistician - but I get the point, you would have thought that the difference was more than a mere 2 mm :nerd::nerd:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There are, I bleeve, only THREE 760mm gauge lines in England - Whipsnade Zoo, Sittingbourne and Kemsley [SP?]. and the W&Ll. All of their locos have run there - 'Superior' this year at the gala weekend.

On the other tentacle, the vast majority of Welsh NG are around the 2ft gauge, with correspondingly dimensioned rolling stock. One of those 'little Welsh railways' also has the largest 2ft gauge locos running in UK - the Welsh Highland railway runs a number of the magnificent ex-SAR/ACR NG/G16 Beyer-Garratt articulated locos, and yet another, an NG/G15, formerly running in the grounds of a tree nursery in Switzerland, is due to be running on the Vale of Rheidol railway soon.
There's an irony there in that the FR has, arguably, the smallest loading gauge of any steam hauled railway in the UK, while the WHR has the largest for a two footer - a case of little and large when they meet at Porthmadog o_Oo_O

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Obviously a statistician - but I get the point, you would have thought that the difference was more than a mere 2 mm :nerd::nerd:

Talking of statistics, it's a little known fact that 8 out of 5 people cannot do fractions....

David

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Talking of statistics, it's a little known fact that 8 out of 5 people cannot do fractions....

David

Also that a large percentage of people are caused by accidents.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
'An ever-increasingly and distressingly large number of otherwise clever people believe the total veracity of all that they read on the internet.'

Benjamin Frankin

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I always thought Berners Franklin, and Benjamin Lee were responsible for the Internet! :nerd::nod:;)

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
You realise that is a whole 14mm in dog millimeters, right?

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if the smaller roundhouse diesels (bulldog, Merseysider, little John) would look small against both sets of stock?
Greg

No pics of the diesels since I do not have any, but here are some height dimensions from the Accucraft and Roundhouse websites that may help:

Little John 139mm
Bulldog 139mm
Merrysider 132.5mm
Harlech Castle 150mm
Accucraft Baguley Drewry 0-6-0 diesel (pre-order item £299) 158mm

W&L goods van 145mm
L&B goods van 135mm

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
My bet is still on the LGB Rugen 0-8-0, replicating 'Sir Drefaldwyn', with a little work. That, a couple of Zillertal coaches and a couple of repainted Newqida coaches and your have a train that could have appeared on the W&Ll anytime over the last 25 years or so.

Last edited:

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Little John is a very narrow loco. Merseysider less so. The pic shows Little John, Danny, Criccieth Castle.IMGP0446small.jpg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Greg
Here a some pics of the SR (L&B) and W&L stock with a Roundhouse Silver Lady and the Bachmann Lyn. I believe the SR Brake Van was added by SR after the Big 4 consolidation and has a similar loading gauge to the W&L stock.

Roger

2uqDQg0.jpg

YSVNNS9.jpg

sxqVpG6.jpg

43GvQXY.jpg

It might be worth mentioning that the Bachmann Lyn shown is scaled oddly around 1:22.5 in scale given that 1:19 (16 mm) scale is used by the industry to reproduce "prototypical" UK NG locos and the stock pictured. Roundhouse's Lady Anne is a "freelance" model loco design and considered by some, while a long term favorite, to be a bit "beefy" compared to others. So much so that one of the UK's most prolific laser cut rolling stock makers, IP, made a special range to look "right" being hauled by it and others from the RH range. This can lead to some proportional mixups. But as has been mentioned there is always "Rule 8"to cover that. Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It might be worth mentioning that the Bachmann Lyn shown is scaled oddly around 1:22.5 in scale given that 1:19 (16 mm) scale is used by the industry to reproduce "prototypical" UK NG locos and the stock pictured. Roundhouse's Lady Anne is a "freelance" model loco design and considered by some, while a long term favorite, to be a bit "beefy" compared to others. So much so that one of the UK's most prolific laser cut rolling stock makers, IP, made a special range to look "right" being hauled by it and others from the RH range. This can lead to some proportional mixups. But as has been mentioned there is always "Rule 8"to cover that. Max
I always thought the Baldwin 2-4-2s were 1:20.3 - they're certainly listed as such :nod::nod:

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann claims a 1:20.3 (Fn3) scale and there has been some discussion about that. If you go by the length, it is 1:22.5 scale, but it is too wide and too tall. If you go by the height and width, it is 1:20.3 scale, but a little too short.

I don't think Bachmann was trying to produce an accurate scale model of the Lyn. It's basically a generic model of an American 2-4-2 tank locomotive primarily for the US market. There were at least 4 variations of this model that I know of. Three with American outline and the anglicized version as the Lyn. I guess we should be thankful for the Lyn version, even though it not perfect. Unfortunately for Brummagen, they appear to be sold out, so I guess this discussion doesn't help him much.
91197.jpg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I always thought the Baldwin 2-4-2s were 1:20.3 - they're certainly listed as such :nod::nod:

I've noticed in the past there has been some conjecture on that issue. Not too far off on height but way too short end to end at the buffer beams. I started out early on, 15 years ago, with a 2nd hand Bachmann Lyn/Baldwin then a year later I got the Accucraft - my inner rivet counter was released at that point due to the shock of my ignorance as to their scale disparity was so great :D Nothing has been the same since. Max

Accucraft 16 mm Baldwin

20181109_204435.jpg

And my Lady Anne, with a 1:22.5 scale standard gauge prototype (G3) Wisbeach and Upwell tramway coach fitted with 45 mm gauge axles

lady anne loco and train 013.JPG

You beat me to it Rodger K

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've noticed in the past there has been some conjecture on that issue. Not too far off on height but way too short end to end at the buffer beams. I started out early on, 15 years ago, with a 2nd hand Bachmann Lyn/Baldwin then a year later I got the Accucraft - my inner rivet counter was released at that point due to the shock of my ignorance as to their scale disparity was so great :D Nothing has been the same since. Max

Accucraft 16 mm Baldwin

View attachment 245351

And my Lady Anne, with a 1:22.5 scale standard gauge prototype (G3) Wisbeach and Upwell tramway coach fitted with 45 mm gauge axles

View attachment 245354

You beat me to it Rodger K
Yep, as above, but even acknowledging the length issue, the Bachmann version would be 15mm:1ft while the Accucraft would be 16mm:1ft

All in all, another fine mess, with different scales and different sizes - frustrating for someone who wants to try and model with even a minimal degree of visual consistency, which I think is what the original question was all about.

thecsmann

Registered
30 Dec 2009
Crawley, west sussex
www.freewebs.com
Best answers
Hi
always good to see more people wanting to go British.... I have been at this for some time now I am about 50% battery power live steam, Started with freelance GRS kits on LGB running gear with battery rc. then got in to steam ,,, went on to do W&L and bowater paper mill (sittingbourne ) then went it just started to continue!!! when your interest in narrow gauge there is so many that just have to be modeld!

here is a link to last years photos!

2017 on the line with no name

Reactions: 1 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, Bowaters Paper Mill - THAT's the 2ft 6in line I ALWAYS forget!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, Bowaters Paper Mill - THAT's the 2ft 6in line I ALWAYS forget!
'twas on your list as Sittingbourne and Kelmsley :nod::nod::nod:

Except I can't spell it proper - it's Kemsley :emo::emo:

Last edited: