Suggestions for Dash 9 sound

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all, seeking a bit of expertise and opinions around sound options here.

I understand that Santa is bringing me a large yellow box with a Dash 9 diesel to which I’d like to add sound. I currently have DC track power with the intention of making a phased move to RC / battery.

My ideal solution would be a sound system which can be dropped in and wired across the motor giving me speed (OK- track voltage) dependant sound which is also able to connect to a battery to maintain idling sounds when the track power drops . I’m hoping that would then mean that at a later date when I could add the RC bits all I’d need to do would be remove the track pickups and connect the ESC in their place, fit the larger battery needed to run the motors and use it to also power the sound. If I say it fast it sounds like a quick, easy and cheap job – ha!

Now bearing in mind I’ve never played with sound before I’ve come up with a few options although I’m sure there must be others.

ESU 54500 LokSound XL V4.0 £155 from Dragon. I like this one having the actual sound of the GE-GEVO12 diesel loaded onto it but I don’t need its DCC or motor control capabilities.

Massoth eMotion S Sound Decoder £118 from Dragon. Cheapest option I’ve found, no motor control but it looks like it’s only a generic sound.

Phoenix PB8 £165 from Garden railway centres. Currently out of stock. Again with a custom sound file for the Dash 9, no motor control.

The Phoenix option looks to be the best fit against my original spec but it’s out of stock and hurts that although I don't want them that as the most expensive it seems to have fewer capabilities than you’d hope at the price point. The Masooth although the cheapest option feels flawed by the generic sound so I’m tending towards the LokSound option.

So……… opinions please peeps.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Go with the Phoenix.
It will link up to your battery ECS without issue and will also deliver the best sound quality on the market every time.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
DaveB2 said:
Massoth eMotion S Sound Decoder £118 from Dragon. Cheapest option I’ve found, no motor control but it looks like it’s only a generic sound.

"Cheapest option I’ve found" - well you blatantly haven't looked here then... http://www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk/massoth-emotion-s-sound-decoder :happy: Not that have any :(

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Phoenix. Not the cheapest, but the best, end of story..

You can use a couple of triggers from a R/C system to fire sound effects. - you could probably parallel red switches and use magnets on the track as well if you wish?

?? Is the PB8 still available ?? - I would have thought it would be a PB11.
NOTE: I have not checked this, just musing.

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
"Cheapest option I’ve found" - well you blatantly haven't looked here then... http://www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk/massoth-emotion-s-sound-decoder :happy: Not that have any :(
Sorry - I didn't mean that the suppliers I mentioned were the cheapest but rather the system itself.

I think PB8 is still available - may be wrong, but if the PB8 costs £165 and the PB11 £225 it's unlikely I could justify the cost even to myself let alone management.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
P8 is really for linking to DCC or RC ECS boards (as well as Atistocraft Revolution). P11 is for everything including analogue track power.
Both are still available
Sandy up at Garden trains in Scotland usually has the best prices for Phoenix this side of the pond
http://www.gardentrains.co.uk/2001web/2001webhtms/pricephoenix.htm

You could always import it from US from a very very friendly dealer :happy:

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Phoenix does seem to be winning the vote doesn't it?

Thanks for the pointer to Garden Trains, oddly enough I sent him an email enquiring about availability literally 5 minutes before your reply :)

If P8 is aimed at the RC sector wouldn't that fit my plan of DC track now, RC in the future pretty much spot on - or am I missing something like it expects a PWM supply to the motor(s)?

Dave

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
AFAIK Phoenix have two current units, the P8 and PB11. The B signifies the provision of battery backup needed for standing and sometimes very slow speed sounds on analogue when the track voltage is insufficient. This issue doesn't arise with DCC or on-board battery power operation.
If you need battery backup for analogue now but intend to change in the future The PB11 will work with DCC or on-board battery power but is more expensive.

Chris Wright

Rev-Up
7 Jun 2016
Cumbria, penrith
Best answers
On this topic, I too have an Aristo-Craft Dash 9. Unlike the original posting I want mine for DCC. I see that Digitrax do a 12 pin plug-in decoder but this does not get rave reviews in some quarters (correct or not) so does anyone know of another decoder plus sound that plugs into the Aristo 12 pin socket. Alternatively, If someone knows of a sound system that will plug into the Digitrax DG583AR and give sound then I will take the Digitrax and go the easy way.

I have also bought a Bachmann Shay and Climax and will be using the ECO 400 sound dcoders in those.

Chris Wright

Rev-Up
7 Jun 2016
Cumbria, penrith
Best answers
On this topic, I too have an Aristo-Craft Dash 9. Unlike the original posting I want mine for DCC. I see that Digitrax do a 12 pin plug-in decoder but this does not get rave reviews in some quarters (correct or not) so does anyone know of another decoder plus sound that plugs into the Aristo 12 pin socket. Alternatively, If someone knows of a sound system that will plug into the Digitrax DG583AR and give sound then I will take the Digitrax and go the easy way.

I have also bought a Bachmann Shay and Climax and will be using the ECO 400 sound dcoders in those.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Way better choice, QSI Titan, just drops in and fantastic new sound files for the loco.

The "emulator" gives extremely realistic sounds, beats the pants off the Phoenix, and the entire decoder is $199 here in the states.

Chris Wright

Rev-Up
7 Jun 2016
Cumbria, penrith
Best answers
That is fantastic. I managed to find one at $169 still a bit steep but if it does the job...... Many, many thanks.

Chris Wright

Rev-Up
7 Jun 2016
Cumbria, penrith
Best answers
I am noe about to buy a US Trains loco. Until I receive it and look at tye manual can anyone tell me which decoder with sound is the obe to go for? Do they all have the speaker ready fitted like Aristo models please?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
USA Trains models have a reputation for being a bit "amp hungry". I don't have an opinion on this but I'm aware that some decoder's instructions state that the maker's warranty is voided if fitted to a USA Trains model.
Some USA trains locos I've seen don't have speakers as standard. Regarding more detail it may help if you state which model you have when it arrives.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Some (most?) do not have a speaker fitted, but do have a position for one..
They can draw several amps, so I tend to fit a Massoth XXL decoder. - I also tend to fit a relay board to change supply polarity to the existing electronics for lighting.
Then for sound I tend to fit Phoenix units.

Expensive, but robust.

<Blatant plug>
I happen to have some of my made-up units, consisting of an XXL decoder, and a relay board, surplus at the moment. - These were installed in some Aristocraft class 66's which were very quickly converted to battery RC, as the owner did not get on with DCC.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So you fit a DCC decoder and also add a separate sound card?

Mainly, yes.. - At least on power-hungry, American outline stock.

This is as much to do with 'the policy' of the Supplier I fit for.. - and the equipment I have for dealing with decoders, et al.

There has been talk of other makes of decoder being 'on the books' (so to speak) from this supplier.. Both Zimo and ESU have been mentioned. - This would mean us 'engineers' investing in yet more proprietary kit for programming / loading which-ever make of decoders becomes the new 'flavour of the month'

John E Kay

Registered
28 Apr 2016
Stockport
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, I am looking to buy a QSI Titan for my Aristocraft Dash-9 (recently repaired) does anyone know where they are sold?

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Strange.... DCC Supplies, Coastal DCC and also Digitrains used to do the Large Scale decoders but now they only seem to carry the smaller power ones, speakers and accessories.
They do not even list the decoders as being out of stock. Perhaps QSI have a supply problem or maybe it is just a problem to outside The States...

EDIT
Just checked dealers in the US and everyone that I checked seems to be sold out...
Perhaps QSI, themselves have a big problem ... so perhaps that is why the UK dealers that I have used in the past are not carrying the big decoders.....

Last edited: