stuttering stainz

jublybug

Registered
24 Apr 2012
Best answers
Hello all , after a stop on the garden line ive decided to have the stainz running round the christmas tree , it ran ok for a little wile but now keeps slowing and stuttering . ive put a meter on the controler and its putting out a steady voltage but soon as its applyed to the track its up and down, any ideas if this is controler or engine? both are from evil bay and seemed to run ok before being boxed up for a few month

Thanks jim

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
how cleans the track, if you put wires from controller straight onto the stainz will it run ok

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Running on carpet? Fluff maybe? Check behind the wheels and skates.

jublybug

Registered
24 Apr 2012
Best answers
Tracks clean ,Yes on carpet but no fluff on pick ups . get same result if powers stright to pickups , just tryed it and it did 2 circuits then started to stuter when it dose start if i turn the controller down it runs smooth for a wile but if i turn up the power it stutters or stops , the controler is putting out full power but when its under load (train on track) it drops off? ive pushed the loco on the track and it dosent feel like its got any tight spots or anything that would strain the motor.

Jim

generalboy80

Registered
8 May 2010
Iowa, now. Before that, Australia, then Britain. W
Best answers
Since the symptoms continue with power attached directly, I'm suspecting (from past experience, one of my old LGB moguls did the exact same thing) that the motor is dirty and pulling too much current for the controller to deliver.

As always, the experts on this forum have already delivered and there are instructions for servicing them here:

http://www.gscalecentral.net/LGB-Motor-Service-m163076

-David Morris

jublybug

Registered
24 Apr 2012
Best answers
Im reading the destructions now and il have a go this weekend and report back how i get on, it did look good going round the xmas tree the kids loved it

Jim

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
1 clean the track with a track cleaning block-
2 clean the wheels and skates -both the treads and the backs-with a track cleaning block-nothing that scratches-you can use a bit of meths on a cotton swab and use it to remove the black gunk-check also that the brush contacts behind the wheels are making contact-do not spill meths on the loco as it can leave a white residue-its curable'cleanable, but a pain-use a swab or pipe cleaner

3-simply, the next thing is likely the motor, -
and to do this you must remove it-(in which case you should also check the gears for lube and use new lube-LGB or teflon based, while you have it open-to open a stainz is a bit of a job-set aside about an hour or more-work over a towel-do not get interrupted so you can remember whats what-and do not force anything-everything will easily come apart provided youve figured it out- you MUST properly re-quarter the drivers-ie rods on a side preceisely at 12 0 clock, 6 o cloc or what ever-doing this accurately and carefully will make life easier-the other thin you need to know is that in removing the motor-there is a notch in the collar that seats the motor-the motor will fit without pressure IF it is properly seated-otherwise you will bend the motor contact leafs-you can do this -it just will take about an hour or so, and patience

you can try this-it has helped me PROVIDED the brushes are still in good shape-
you can spray electrical lube into the motor-but then you must rinse it out-because although it will remove brush gunk, it will collect new gunk rather soon, so it must be rinsed using meths-

or you can simply use meths-you can literally dunk the motor in meths and let it drain-rotate the shaft while it has the meths-this can remove collected brush gunk-yes it works-i have done this-it absolutley does not harm the motor-being meths it will dry in no more than ten minutes-

if the brushes are shot-then dpending on the motor-you might replace them-but more likely youll need a new motor-you shouldnt need a motor unless the loco has really been run a great deal-like showing brass on the treads-the motors have very long life

jublybug

Registered
24 Apr 2012
Best answers
Right thanks people its all up and running nice again . the motor com and brushes where well and truly gunged up looks like over spill from smoke gen and lack of service . all i had in to clean it with was wd40(forgot to pick up some brake cleaner from work ) but its done the trick , im gona restrip it anyway after new year as the front coupling block that clips into the motor block has had the clip broken offat som point so going to have to eather fettle it or get a new one to replace it

Thanks again Jimbo

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
not meaning to sound negative nor patronizing,
be aware that should you again experience sluggishness or excessive current draw, it might be the WD 40

from my own experience, using electrical contact lube, (and being familiar with WD 40, it may not only leave a residue-as it is designed to do so, but this residue collects the brush gunk, dust etc, -and yo have to do it all again-i know this first hand)

so , if this is the case in awhile, you now know why and how to remove it

fwiw, again from experience, wd 40 has no place in electronics-it is not a lube, it is designed to disperse water and to adhere with a film, to metal, to protect against oxidation-while it will temporarily remove sludge and grunge, simply by drenching it off and away, , make the track nice and remove stuff on it, etc, shortly thereafter, more stuff collects, for the worse-i have followed others recommendatoins for use of WD-40 on the track, only to have later remove every bit with a clean cloth and either meths, LGB smoke fluid, or diluted ammonia to cut the greasy film

of course, your experience my differ from mine

jublybug

Registered
24 Apr 2012
Best answers
It probs will start again , it was a last resort id forgot to bring some cleaner with me from work and couldent find my electrical stuff at home so it was wd or hairspray lol im going to get some meths wile im out today ready .

Its only on limited run time at the mo anyways when visiters are round or to entertain the kids for a few mins .

Jimbo