Sterling single from Bachmann Emily

jeremy.viewing

Registered
15 Aug 2014
Souldrop
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF1557 (Medium).JPG A few views of my Sterling single.  Kit bashed from the Bachmann, Thomas and Friends Emily with special thanks to Jerry Barnes for his original inspirational posts and help with replacement metal coupling rods, slide bars and crossheads.

The lining was achieved using BECC`s self adhesive vinyl lining, which I
purchased from Cornwall models.
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/becc_flags_decals.html .

The tender was painted light Brunswick Green and then masked in the centre
and sprayed dark Brunswick Green to leave a light centre panel (standard GNR
practise) which was lined with the tape. Could I recommend this web site
which gives great views of the restoration of the correct Stirling tender.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151550223591136.1073741826.20340411135&type=3

The model is 2.4 gig radio with a 12V 2600mAh flat 5x2 AA NiMH Battery Pack
in the tender, which gives at least 3 hours running.  Other fittings,
couplings, hand rail knobs, tender brake, tender water filler, are from
Walsall Model Industries.
http://www.walsallmodelindustries.co.uk/index.php/gauge_3-gauge_3_items/?k=2197:10::

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice!

And welcome to the forum....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice work! The lining looks good - I bet it was fiddly getting it to curve!

jeremy.viewing

Registered
15 Aug 2014
Souldrop
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks every one for your kind words, the lining is a bit of a fiddle but curves quite well with a bit of patience, the biggest problem was with the brass lining as it tends to crease on tight curves.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice conversion.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Super job, a lovely looking loco :)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Superb!
Did you seal the loco or or will the lining put up with being handled etc

jeremy.viewing

Registered
15 Aug 2014
Souldrop
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have not needed to varnish as of yet. The lining was applied to the paint finish, it remains flexible and removable for up to 24 hours at which time the adhesive gains full strength and is suitable for external use. I have not suffered any movement or peeling but I did degrease the paint finish with meths before application.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
What a transformation! It looks stunning.

One for me to try if I ever finish the Adler to my satisfaction although it is highly unlikely that I shall attempt the R/C.

Any chance of a video of No 1 in action?

How did you cope with the overlong boiler poking onto the footplate and the flat fronted tender?

jeremy.viewing

Registered
15 Aug 2014
Souldrop
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Stirling cab (Medium).JPG Stirling body (Medium).JPG DSCF1533 (Medium).JPG I gave up with the Bachmann cab and made a new one from styrene, the boiler backhead again was a styrene laminate. The fire door, smoke box door, splashers and lamps were resin castings from Small brook Studio.

http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk/products-new/4569521214/'g'-scale-'emily'-conversion-parts/6971799

All other backhead fittings are scratch, made from styrene and brass wire with etched brass hand wheels. I removed the boxes behind the smoke box and fabricated the bottom half of the boiler barrel from Styrene.

With the tender, I cutout the original front and mounted it back 15mm, the top was remade in styrene with the coal hopper, hand brake well and top board. The original water filler was replaced with a white metal casting and coal board was built from styrene, beach planks and KS brass. all other fittings such as lamp brackets are brass fabrications.

Last edited:

jeremy.viewing

Registered
15 Aug 2014
Souldrop
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
This link, is the Stirling running with the unmodified Emily carriages at Delapre Park in Northampton at the
model engineering society .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1hadgaj8u8o9sc/IMG_0248.MOV?dl=0

This is a link of the Sterling running with the modified Emily carriages on my rather untidy railway, still work in progress I am afraid.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdjnd13ysfaa57m/IMG_0250.MOV?dl=0

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Jeremy
Thanks for all the details and videos. She really looks the part.
I will never match your modelling skills but the link to the kit will be useful should I take the plunge.
One thing I considered if I were to try it would be to reduce the depth of the running board valance but I assume that will be a particularly difficult job.

You have a park with a GScale track laid?! Lucky you, there is a 5 1/2" and 7" one 1/2 mile away but not 45mm. I had never come across one.
So far as untidy layouts go yours isn't one - you haven't seen mine! And, that is what I call a bridge, real brick. :happy:

jeremy.viewing

Registered
15 Aug 2014
Souldrop
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sterling running board valance (Medium).jpg Thank you John and all for your kind comments.

Keith, I had thought about the running board valance, but the difference in height between the running board at the smoke box and front buffer beam valance defeated me, it was going a step to far requiring a chassis mod.  I thought O`hell, its gauge 3 running on 45mm I will never get to it to scale, so rule 8 applies.  I still need to do the Red lining on the existing valance.  Are you a long way from Northampton?

Last edited:

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Very impressive - you've made a great transformation of the Sterling.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great in action too! Like the brickwork for your garden line - that's very well done.