Steam running record

Captain Flack

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
I have 3 steam engines, two in boats and 1 in Roundhouse. Is it advisable to keep a record of steaming time, and if so how do you do it? On paper or computer?
Thank you.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I don't personally, as theres lot of factors that can affect the steaming time. But I know that there are folks who do.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
My thought is that it would be good for keeping track of routine maintenance if nothing else. (pun not intentional) It's easy enough to set up a simple spreadsheet.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have 2 records on the go, one is a standard sized 13x8 cm Record Card that records when the battery is charged with running time added as and when. Second is a running record of running days in a book, this records date visitors etc and running time for each loco which then gets transferred to the record card. With the space available I could record Boiler Testing dates as well. You can see that I do not do much live steam running these days, Xmas last year cancelled due to CV19 would have been the most recent unless we had some snow. Must do a self boiler test this spring and record that. I have similar cards for my Battery Powered locomotives.
image.jpg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I really can't be ars- bothered. All my steamers get looked at before, during and after a run, and to be honest, life is just too short to run a 'spread sheet' about a toy train. The only records I keep about the other main pastime that is meant to be fun, and not a chore, is my reloading data for my shooting. The very nature of the game demands that records be kept, especially after effectively losing access to four of the US-made propellant powder brands I used to use simply because the EU decided that they were somehow injurious to health. I had to change twelve loads in six different calibres to stuff that was available here in Europe, and that took a lot of paperwork and load development - AND funds.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I really can't be ars- bothered. All my steamers get looked at before, during and after a run, and to be honest, life is just too short to run a 'spread sheet' about a toy train. The only records I keep about the other main pastime that is meant to be fun, and not a chore, is my reloading data for my shooting. The very nature of the game demands that records be kept, especially after effectively losing access to four of the US-made propellant powder brands I used to use simply because the EU decided that they were somehow injurious to health. I had to change twelve loads in six different calibres to stuff that was available here in Europe, and that took a lot of paperwork and load development - AND funds.
As you say Tac, but some of us are keeping record junkies so the recording is in part as much fun as the running. I just wish that I had had the anal record keeping that I have now, particularly when I look back at my 50’s amd 60’s Train Spotting books that are just a load of numbers with very few dates and locations recorded.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve just come across this thread and I would like to add my two penny worth.
At the moment I have eight live steam locomotives that can be run on the CFR. I keep no running records for these locomotives, but I do keep records of boiler testing etc. Each locomotive gets a thorough examination whilst it is being prepared for steaming. After a running session the locomotives are examined again before they are put away. Any faults are rectified there and then.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve just come across this thread and I would like to add my two penny worth.
At the moment I have eight live steam locomotives that can be run on the CFR. I keep no running records for these locomotives, but I do keep records of boiler testing etc. Each locomotive gets a thorough examination whilst it is being prepared for steaming. After a running session the locomotives are examined again before they are put away. Any faults are rectified there and then.
For me as my live steam have rechargeable NiCads packs, my records of runs helps to see if they are likely to need a top up before a run. Tye sad thing is it also shiws how little I use my Live Steam some getting a run perhaps only once in 3 years, the best being 2-3 times at most.