Steam failure.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
We had a serious failure with one of the Accucraft locomotives.
IMG_8470.jpegIMG_8471.jpeg

As can be seen the banjo bolt sheared entirely. Luckily it occurred whilst it was in the steam up bay.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Failure of Accucraft's brass fittings is nothing new - it's down to poor material quality. It happened to my £4000 Royal Hudson, in full flow with eight cars behind it, as the axle pump banjo bolt disintegrated. A call to Graham Langer or David Mees will sort you out.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh $h1!….that would definitely upset me.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Frightening! I'll have to keep an eye on mine

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Failure of Accucraft's brass fittings is nothing new - it's down to poor material quality. It happened to my £4000 Royal Hudson, in full flow with eight cars behind it, as the axle pump banjo bolt disintegrated. A call to Graham Langer or David Mees will sort you out.

I have read somewhere that Accucraft are now engineered in Japan by Aster and only assembled and painted in China. Perhaps matters such as this has been improved. :wondering:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have read somewhere that Accucraft are now engineered in Japan by Aster and only assembled and painted in China. Perhaps matters such as this has been improved. :wondering:

That is also what I've been told. However, both my Hudson and the model Paul showed us date from the time when components were made in China. I have a little bag full of less-than-I-expected-quality brass-like components dating back over twenty years.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Glad I only have UK and German built quality puffers.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Would I be right in thinking that those who do not run their loco's very often, may never encounter this problem?

Will it be exacerbated by the use of 'unquenched' de-ionised water? - De-zincification, is the term, I believe?

Having recently acquired a little dragon, I am now having to consider all this..

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Would I be right in thinking that those who do not run their loco's very often, may never encounter this problem?

Will it be exacerbated by the use of 'unquenched' de-ionised water? - De-zincification, is the term, I believe?

Having recently acquired a little dragon, I am now having to consider all this..

PhilP
Unknown, but I only use water from my de-humidifier and thus far have had no such problems. Even so called safe filtered rainwater can contain acid from pollution.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
I've been told deionized water is a no-no, but I know someone who's used it for years. If this is what could be the result, it's quite worrying, especially as that loco looks fairly new (is it one of the Pecketts)

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I've been told deionized water is a no-no, but I know someone who's used it for years. If this is what could be the result, it's quite worrying, especially as that loco looks fairly new (is it one of the Pecketts)
Yes, it is a no-no as it leaches the missing ions from the container, it needs to be distilled, a totally different process.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it is a no-no as it leaches the missing ions from the container, it needs to be distilled, a totally different process.
That's what I've always thought, and avoid it, but the chap in question persists

Gtarling

Registered
26 Aug 2019
Grantham
Best answers
Country flag
Banjo union bolts are inherently weak, due to the way they are drilled. Looks to me like a classic case of over-torquing the nut to me. " Weeping from banjo union?* - *just give the nut another tweak*.

G

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It does look like it had PTFE tape to seal it, as a qualified high pressure system engineer (6000 lbs +) and pressure system testers (BSI Competent) the use of PTFE tape MUST only be used on taper threads where the taper is the means of sealing, parallel treads must use the approved sealing washer for the system. PTFE tape causes the parallel thread to bind before the sealing faces have sealed, however sometimes (by goodl uck) the tape seals the joint, but when it weeps tightening the joint will often not allow the faces to seal, this leads to the fracture. As mentioned as banjos are weaker due to the design, these are even more prone to fracture, and imagine 6000lbs of hydraulic spraying in your face :(

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
As can be seen the banjo bolt sheared entirely
I had that happen to me, and Cliff (in CA, I'm in the USA,) sent me a couple of replacements. I still have a spare or two, so if Accucraft UK can't find one, let me know. Shipping can't be too bad on a padded envelope!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at this thread again it reminded me of a Merlin Banjo Bolt that dis a similar thing on me when I was tightening it up, tought m a valuable lesson about tightening the things. Luckily I got a replacement as Merlin was still ance at the time. He used copper washers for the interface between bits, presumably they seal with a bit less preasure bening a softish metal. I learnt to finger tight then a very short add on tighten with a ba spanner..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Glad I only have UK and German built quality puffers.
As we have said before, the problems with outsourcing manufacture to China lies with managing the production. The Chinese will make whatever you ask - however, if you do not ask, or do not specify, then they will assume and provide what they think ;);)

They are quite capable of producing suitable quality brass, if you specify and pay for it :nod::nod:

Chinese manufacturing is no different from any form of sub-contracting, and the problems of sub-contracting have been known for at least 2,000 years.

St John ch 10 v 13 - I rest my case m'lud :nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Vlad the Invader could ponder on that, as well.
:wasntme:

PhilP

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I had that happen to me, and Cliff (in CA, I'm in the USA,) sent me a couple of replacements. I still have a spare or two, so if Accucraft UK can't find one, let me know. Shipping can't be too bad on a padded envelope!

It depends on who is sending it. A few years back I had a Swedish rifle front sight sent to me by a well-known spare parts dealer on the East Coast - it was about the same bulk as the banjo bolt. They charged me $24 for the smallest US Mail padded envelope and it STILL took three weeks to get here.