Station announcements

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Just shelled out for 6 x LGB 17100 track contact switches. The plan is to wire them to 20 second birthday card recordable messages to give station sounds. Anyone else tried this? If a bad (or unworkable) idea I may have six 17100s for sale shortly.

A

Alec K

Just shelled out for 6 x LGB 17100 track contact switches. The plan is to wire them to 20 second birthday card recordable messages to give station sounds. Anyone else tried this? If a bad (or unworkable) idea I may have six 17100s for sale shortly.
Mike,

I haven't tried your creative approach with the 17100s but I have previously linked one to a 'passing contact' switched 6v sound module that created a bell sound on approach to a level crossing. Worked a treat!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
My favourite station announcement has always been "The train now arriving at platforms 2, 3, 4, and 5 is coming in sideways",

David

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
My favourite station announcement has always been "The train now arriving at platforms 2, 3, 4, and 5 is coming in sideways",

David
Doesn't beat the matrix boards that are in use now.

'The 17:06 is CANCELLED - calling at .................... and then it lists all the stations that it would have stopped at if ............. :mad::mad:

B****y idiots :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Doesn't beat the matrix boards that are in use now.

'The 17:06 is CANCELLED - calling at .................... and then it lists all the stations that it would have stopped at if ............. :mad::mad:

B****y idiots :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:
I've also been experimenting with matrix boards. Bought a couple of the scrolling badges (off eBay naturally) from China. I wore one on my last few days at work showing notices like 'No food or drink please - this is a bus not a *#*#*#* restaurant' and 'I'm not late - just in the wrong place'. I've now got one displaying all the different routes and destinations for the original Orient Express ready for the station (when it finally gets built).

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

David

"Passengers waiting for the 7:45 to London from Platform 2 will have to run very fast because it is now leaving Platform 5...."

Jon.

A

Alec K

"Passengers waiting for the 7:45 to London from Platform 2 will have to run very fast because it is now leaving Platform 5...."

Jon.
...or the station passenger info display that read, for a few glorious seconds a couple of years ago:

Can't go yet. Squire's not here.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
...or the station passenger info display that read, for a few glorious seconds a couple of years ago:

Can't go yet. Squire's not here.

Lovely - an echo of a bygone age.... and a MUCH better excuse than most of the ones they come up with these days! :rofl:

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I also recall a classic Giles cartoon from many decades ago, during the worst days of British Rail - I don't remember the actual joke, but the scene was a railway platform (probably Ipswich) and the departure board - which was just a throwaway joke in the background of the main cartoon - read something like:

06:00 CANCELLED
06:20 CANCELLED
06:40 DELAYED
06:50 CANCELLED
07:00 MISSING, PRESUMED LOST....

:devil:

Jon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Anyone come up with "Everybody Out! We're on Strike!" Perfect for the Blue diesel period of BR

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
The train now standing on Platform 2 should really be on the track.

Paul

Last edited:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Seen on the LED information display in carriages on a train:
"Do mind the extraordinary large gap at Hackbridge...if you fall into it then you will enter another dimension.."

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't used birthday card sound cards for station announcements, but I have used a couple to provide sounds for my IP Engineering Simplex. Not bad sound output considering their price.

Having now got to grips with Arduino and sounds, I think I would now use that set up for station announcements

Rik

Last edited:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

David
With the addition of “- lady driver.”
Beats rapid exit......