Stainz Versions

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
Out of my Collection are they any particular versions, if I have one that anyone needs a picture of, I have most of the production varients from Growlers, to early split boxes, to later sandwich boxes, versions with square buffers, black buffers, smoke stacks, etc

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Brown-ish (almost purple in some light) early, possibly growler, or split block.. No.2, I think??

I was offered one, but it looked 'wrong', as I had only really seen newer ones at the time.. Would have been a bargain at £38.00! :cry:

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
Early small lens, or early painted lens, round vent or square vent, I have both, Brown no2.jpg

Both have early D shaped rear couplings and No Power sockets, I also have a even darker shade of brown, almost Black No1 of same vintage

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
The most unusual (unmodified) Stainz that I own is this one, from a limited-edition set: a later model with plastic rods, a VERY dark chocolate-brown cab and a silver-painted smokebox.....

Brown Stainz2.jpeg

I mention that it's my most unusual UNMODIFIED one because I do have a couple of rather nice converted/modified Stainzes, both bought from Germany, one of which is a Steffen Otto build.

Jon.

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
The most unusual (unmodified) Stainz that I own is this one, from a limited-edition set: a later model with plastic rods, a VERY dark chocolate-brown cab and a silver-painted smokebox.....

View attachment 255597

I mention that it's my most unusual UNMODIFIED one because I do have a couple of rather nice converted/modified Stainzes, both bought from Germany, one of which is a Steffen Otto build.

Jon.
Much much later one, than I collect, everything of mine is pre 97/98 when the moulds changed and they went to plastic valve gear, The very last stainz with metal gear is the Puppet Theatre Stainz, before that were the copy of the Real stainz, The K3 and the 97 no 4 body xmas loco. The stainz copy, the k3 and puppet theatre units all have the raised lgb and number blanked out but you can see the mould lines were the raised bits were removed from the moulds, They were the last locos made using sandwich boxes but metal rods.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Early small lens, or early painted lens, round vent or square vent, I have both,

It was the round-vent one, but am pretty certain it had a straight stack. :think:
I had never seen a round-vent, that colour (or even that body-moulding).. It just screamed 'wrong' at me, at that time.

I am guessing it would have been a good investment? - Being quite early?

I have a number of 'bits', but (of course) 'everything that moves' is more problematical to source. - Being a little tight!
I still have one to repair here, that fell from a shelf.. Has not been run very much, so am really after 'as new' spares for it. - A number of parts are fractured, from the fall.

I must go through 'everything', and see just what I have got?? :think::think::rolleyes:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Talking of modified.. Have you ever come across a 'crane-tank' Stainz?

Just another of those mad ideas, I have had.. :mm::rolleyes: