Stainz 20212

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
A Stainz 20212 has just come into my possession, and I need some help. It is need of some TLC and parts, however having scoured the usual suspects I cannot find spares or manual for this loco, my assumption is that it has another number that can be used for spares. Looking at the base it would seem to be a 2006 model that is DCC ready and equipped with a 10-pin direct decoder interface plug-and-play compatible, though still struggling to get the "boiler" apart, due to some of the "bodge" job.

Can somebody provide me with an alternative number, many thanks.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jimmy appears that you have something that may have been a Special of some sort, probably only Livery perhaps? May be worthwhile posting a pic so that it can be identified to a generic Stainz. For the meantime though this may be of use as it is appropriate for 20201 as well.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jimmy,

I think that the loco you purchased was from a set, possibly 70302. I have the complete 70302 set. The loco will have plastic rather than metal coupling rods. I have copied the appropriate data sheet which includes part numbers etc. Spares are available form Modell -land Germany, here is a link: LGB Stainz Dampflok Ersatzteile für 22211, 27211, 70302, 70402

PM me if you need any further information.

Regards

Martin

Attachments

• 70302explo.pdf
    359.4 KB · Views: 0

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jimmy,

I have added a link to the guide on stripping the Stainz: WaltonsModels.co.uk

Hope you find this useful.

Regards

Martin

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for the info, Jon asked for a photo, unfortunately I have already stripped down the loco (I found the Walton Models page looking for the manual), this is a library photo of the loco:

LGB20212.jpg

On stripping the loco, as I was told it was DDC fitted, though the symbol is for DCC ready and equipped with a 10-pin direct decoder interface plug-and-play compatible I found this fitted, but I have no idea what chip it is:

IMG_0506.jpg

The loco runs okay in analogue, the directional LEDs fitted work, however the internal LEDs does not come on (DCC function I assume). The speaker that was originally fitted has been removed - does this chip have sound, will it work in analogue and how, and the accompanying wiring just cut off:

IMG_0509.jpg

Currently I have no intention of going DCC, though I would like to restore the sound. I also need to work out the spares required so I can put my order in.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think that might be a Digitrax decoder, and not sound equipped?

The Led's appear to have been correctly wired (with limiting resistors) but without a DCC controller, you will not be able to turn on the cab light. - Possibly wired to Aux. 2?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You could of course have the Chip in and it should work OK on a non DCC System. There was a lot of controversy back in the old G Scale Mad days about LGB fitting Decoders to everything that they made. Controversially many moaned about having to pay for a Chip that they did not want or need. Big point missed was that Locs tend to run better on Analogue with a Chip Fitted and the cost was negligible at first build by LGB. In fact if one changed ones mind about DCC as many have it was a great advantage having a part fitted fleet. But things have moved on.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
LokPilot XL, probably an earlier version 1, the one below it, is a later version 3 decoder.

Good spot John.. Not a make I am familiar with.
But definitely, no sound. :(

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for the info, Jon asked for a photo, unfortunately I have already stripped down the loco (I found the Walton Models page looking for the manual), this is a library photo of the loco:

View attachment 254681

On stripping the loco, as I was told it was DDC fitted, though the symbol is for DCC ready and equipped with a 10-pin direct decoder interface plug-and-play compatible I found this fitted, but I have no idea what chip it is:

View attachment 254682

The loco runs okay in analogue, the directional LEDs fitted work, however the internal LEDs does not come on (DCC function I assume). The speaker that was originally fitted has been removed - does this chip have sound, will it work in analogue and how, and the accompanying wiring just cut off:

View attachment 254683

Currently I have no intention of going DCC, though I would like to restore the sound. I also need to work out the spares required so I can put my order in.
Jimmy, when you've sorted out what parts you need drop me a line. I recently acquired two dismantled Stainz' and with what I already have in bits and non-runners I may be able to meet your needs without the expensive shipping from Germany.

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Mike, many thanks, its one of those slow jobs, but i should have the list by the end of the week.
No rush - I'm still sorting stuff for the Bressingham show in three weeks time!!!

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
So Mike is sorting my bits out, and whilst the loco is in bits I am thinking of converting it to battery; a few questions:
  1. Should I leave the DCC chip in or replace it with the Rx/ECU.
  2. I am thinking about 4S LiPo does this seem reasonable, and where could I fit them.
  3. Sound, mylocosound, will that fit inside the loco on top of the Rx.
  4. If i bin the DCC chip I assume the Rx would manage lights smoke etc, what voltage item and how would I control the voltage.
Many thanks 'cause I am sure i will get some sensible answers.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So Mike is sorting my bits out, and whilst the loco is in bits I am thinking of converting it to battery; a few questions:

As the DCC chip will only be drive / lights / etc. remove it, and sell it on..

I am thinking about 4S LiPo does this seem reasonable, and where could I fit them.

3S will be more than enough, and take less space. - Which is at a premium in a Stainz!

Sound, mylocosound, will that fit inside the loco on top of the Rx.

Probably not. - You will need to keep all the weight you can, for traction.
Possibly mount the MLS card vertically against the rear wall of the cab?

If i bin the DCC chip I assume the Rx would manage lights smoke etc, what voltage item and how would I control the voltage.

Correct, but do you really want smoke? - This will tend to eat into your runtime.
Preferably, replace bulbs with LED's.

Have a look at Rik's blog, for a couple of ways of doing this.. A Stainz is not the easiest of loco's to convert. - If you want to hide all the bits, that is..

PhilP.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
  2. I am thinking about 4S LiPo does this seem reasonable, and where could I fit them.
  3. Sound, mylocosound, will that fit inside the loco on top of the Rx.
  4. If i bin the DCC chip I assume the Rx would manage lights smoke etc, what voltage item and how would I control the voltage.
Many thanks 'cause I am sure i will get some sensible answers.
As Phil says Rik’s blog is the ultimate answer for a Stainz Battery Job. However look as well at my Piko 25 Tonner where I had to stuff things in all sorts of odd places to get them to fit. I even added a Box to rear of the Cab to fit the MLS Card in. But another possibility may be the Cab Roof where the Sandpaper System come out. That for the Card and the speaker at the rear of the Cab in a Plasticard Box May work.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Been back to Rik's blog, and it would seem I have a very similar Stainz, however all the original electronics have gone from mine including the speaker and smoke generator, and replaced with the above DCC card. So following Rik's example I will attempt an "in loco" conversion, removing the DCC card (as suggested) using the Rx/ESU in its place, new sound card and speaker, fitted roughly where the original went, new LED lights, might even try a white/red at the back, and powered by a 3S LiPo. So just have to buy the bits.