Stainz 20212 Going slowly on the track - Voltage drop

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Why do I feel that you just haven't got enough grunt in your power supply?

And, in those photos, have you actually got the motor 'upside down'..... the worm and the gear don't look like they mesh.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
... the worm and the gear don't look like they mesh.
You had me believing it too until I took a more careful look! If you follow the worm tooth around the motor rotor you'll see they do mesh!

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
You had me believing it too until I took a more careful look! If you follow the worm tooth around the motor rotor you'll see they do mesh!
Yep, got it now. An optical delusion. One of the troubles coming, as I do, from the 'other' side of the Equator, is that I can get things upside down.... like the sun (that's that yellow orb in the sky, in case you've forgotten) that shines from the south when in the Northern Hemisphere, which on more than one occasion had me heading west when I wanted to go east. Well, at least most of you drive on the correct side of the road, which is not the right side of the road.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Has it got a smoke unit, what happens if you run it with the smoke disconnected?

Last edited:

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Might be worth reassembling the gearbox and motion but without the motor and check it runs freely. As P phils2um says, it could be quartering or it could simply be misalignment.

If it runs freely - and I mean the slightest push will get the wheels moving, try it with the motor. It may be that the motor needs tweaking slightly on the mounts so it runs without binding on the gears.

My approach is always to think what might have caused the issue in the first place. Has it been run on carpet, so its picked up fibres and gummed up the mechanism, has someone tried to push it along and damaged the gear train, has it been dropped, causing some damage to the gearbox or twisting the chassis? If you can work out what might have caused the problem, fixing it is usually easier.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So I read the loco running is about an amp (is that on it's back?)
the motor alone is 0.13 amp, what is expected.

So if it draws almost 10 times more with the gears in mesh, it points to excessive friction somewhere.

Can you verify that the "almost an amp" is with the loco on it's back, drivetrain engaged? If you have not made this measurement, I ask that you do.

Greg

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Any recommendations on a tutorial video on disassembly and testing a motor? Also any recommendation on where to source a new motor in the US?
Hi AKWeber84 - Most of us LGB Internet Dealers in the USA sell the LGB Buhler short shaft or long shaft motors for a similar price $59. You can email me if you need one: OldDominionRailways@gmail.com
McLean VA
Tom

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Wonder what the resolution was?

It's been a couple of weeks since the OP posted.

He notes that the motor pulled .13 amps by itself, seems a bit high, but no feedback on the rest of the drivetrain.

Greg