Spiral, trestle and 'high line' section is finally completed

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Some time back I posted photos of the newly cleared space and creation of a spiral on the `local` branch line.
It had a trestle with plastic bents and also no trackbed on top of the trestle.
This has been replaced with a scratch-built wooden one, wooden track bedding and more work has been done to the rocks and the planting. The ballasting has been laid and a little bit of wooden support structure for where the track comes close to the side of the rock edge.
The mainline below the `high line` still needs re-ballasting but the scene sort of hangs together okay now.
Here are a few photos to give a `flavour` of it all.
I tested it with an LGB Sumpter Mallet (soon to be customised to be part of the Beaver Creek RR roster) and an LGB streetcar (also to be customised to become a BCRR `railmotor`).

high line and mainline wide .jpg

mallet exit tunnel 2.jpg

mallet through bridge with tank cars behind.jpg

mallet in ravine.jpg

mallet on high line from bridge 2.jpg

mallet on mainline passing high line wide .jpg

rail motor on trestle.jpg

railmotor from bridge on high line.jpg

mallet passes high line as rail motor exits bridge.jpg

the three tracks.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent!
I love the 'just enough' clearances.. Really makes you think they had to fight for every inch of clearance. :happy:

Did you cast some of the 'rock-faces' yourself?

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil, thanks for the comment

No casting done.....
I was in a local garden centre that had been taken over by an ornamental fish company and spotted a bin of lumps of rock of the type that I had not seen in any other garden centre since I had started in G scale.
I really liked it as it looked like real sized rock embankments with natural weathering (gullies etc).
Apparently they had imported them to fill up remaining space in a container of fish stuff from China and to sell as 'special' decoration in large aquariums.

I practically bought every lump that they had and that included all the 'shrapnel' pieces which I used for dressing and also for 'adding' to some rock faces to create the shape that I needed.
I was charged £12 for four very large lumps. They told me, after my fifth journey back to them, that they had made a mistake and that each large lump should have been £16 each!.......well I was a happy man, I can tell you

They are not going to get any more and that one single shipment was the only one that they they will do.

I had just enough to do what I wanted to do (I am reorganising and updating the 'Arbour Summit' area and as it is next to the 'spiral and high line' some of the 'special'rock will be used there as well.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
This is a fantastic job and I like the way you have fitted in a lot in a small space without it looking like a "train set" but a proper railroad hewn through the landscape. Great stuff!

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Those rocks look just right. I too wondered if you'd cast it yourself as per Bob Treat's method.

Rik

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Ian and Rik
Here is a plan of the layout with one of the red arrows pointing to where the `high` line and the spiral are found.
The other arrow is pointing to where in `Arbour Summit` I will be using more of the `weathered` and detailed rock.

plan showing new areas.jpg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Do like that trestle and the bridge. The rock work is pretty inspired and integrated. Looks like you need some seriously "bendy" locos to go round that. Mmmm nice. Max

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice indeed.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
It really has come up well Mike, great job. I like the rock work too :D

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
B++++y Brilliant! Always so full of very interesting details and superbly executed.