Best answers
Amazing Rik :clap: Really looks the business in Peckforton livery

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
That reminds me of the German "Umbauwagen" (reconstruction coaches)

In scale 1:1 its easy - thew leaf spring in the middle is a bit longer & softer.
In scale 1:22,5 try to re-apply the PIKO-approach

(RAS593) Piko 37609 Spur G Umbauwagen B3yg Deutsche Weinstraße der DB, - Modellbahn Rhein-Main (modellbahn-rhein-main.de)

- w/o a fixed linkage - allowing the cetre axle to "swim" vertically, and with just a limited impact of the outer axles horizontally

Details at 2:50

PIKO Spur G # Umbauwagen B3yg der DB 2. Klasse Piko Gartenbahn, Epoche IV ein tolles Modell - YouTube

And it seems to work (see 1:20)

BR64 Bubikopf mit Umbauwagen - YouTube

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The residents of Peckforton, Beeston Market and Bickerton will appreciate the comfort that only a six-wheeler can give. I feel a fare increase coming on.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I managed to get out into the garden on Saturday and ran the coach over the entire line. There are still two places where the middle truck sometimes becomes derailed, but I can see why. I'm working on a fix - fingers crossed. In the meantime ......

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice Rik, be lovely to see one in the early light (yellow?) livery. Now you have pretty much nailed making them another (after you have got the amount you need) for vanity reasons should be a breeze, but I guess that storage as ever may be a issue.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
That reminds me of the German "Umbauwagen" (reconstruction coaches)

In scale 1:1 its easy - thew leaf spring in the middle is a bit longer & softer.
In scale 1:22,5 try to re-apply the PIKO-approach

(RAS593) Piko 37609 Spur G Umbauwagen B3yg Deutsche Weinstraße der DB, - Modellbahn Rhein-Main (modellbahn-rhein-main.de)

- w/o a fixed linkage - allowing the cetre axle to "swim" vertically, and with just a limited impact of the outer axles horizontally

Details at 2:50

PIKO Spur G # Umbauwagen B3yg der DB 2. Klasse Piko Gartenbahn, Epoche IV ein tolles Modell - YouTube

And it seems to work (see 1:20)

BR64 Bubikopf mit Umbauwagen - YouTube
Thanks Andreas. Very interesting. I think these are shorter overall than the Southwold coach and the outside wheels are closer to the middle, which makes the mechanism a bit easier to construct. It looks like they can negotiate even R1 curves, which my coach can't. I was trying to see how the middle wheel truck is attached which is what I'm wrestling with at the moment, but it looks as if the system is buried under the truck somewhere.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice Rik, be lovely to see one in the early light (yellow?) livery. Now you have pretty much nailed making them another (after you have got the amount you need) for vanity reasons should be a breeze, but I guess that storage as ever may be a issue.
Thanks Jon. Still a bit more twiddling to get it working reliably. The easiest way would be to iron out the two bits of track which cause it trouble, but I'm trying to see if I can modify the suspension system for the middle truck first. Once I've got that sorted and redesigned it, then I'll try making another coach.

As you say, storage will soon become compromised...... :wasntme:

Rik

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
The finished product looks great Rik, I hope you're really pleased with it despite the teething troubles. I bet there aren't too many people out there who could boast a mixed train of Southwold stock in G. With their choice of locomotive too :eek:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I managed to get out into the garden on Saturday and ran the coach over the entire line. There are still two places where the middle truck sometimes becomes derailed, but I can see why. I'm working on a fix - fingers crossed. In the meantime ......

Rik
The carriage itself might benefit from a bit more weight, but you've now set yourself a task - it needs to go behind a Southwold Sharpe Stewart in either guise 2-4-0 or 2-4-2; they were attractive locos, and suitably petite for a narrow gauge line :nod::nod:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The carriage itself might benefit from a bit more weight, but you've now set yourself a task - it needs to go behind a Southwold Sharpe Stewart in either guise 2-4-0 or 2-4-2; they were attractive locos, and suitably petite for a narrow gauge line :nod::nod:
Not to forget the Manning Wardle 0-6-2.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I have an MNR Sharpie on the to do list for r*tirement; the difficulty is the radial-boxed front axle, which can only swing between the slidebars (without fouling): not a problem in 1:1 scale, but a significant one where there are smaller radius curves to negotiate. A bit of sideways slop on the rear driving axle might help...but it might not.

I think Rik already has a Sharpie -I'm sure I've read a build log.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have an MNR Sharpie on the to do list for r*tirement; the difficulty is the radial-boxed front axle, which can only swing between the slidebars (without fouling): not a problem in 1:1 scale, but a significant one where there are smaller radius curves to negotiate. A bit of sideways slop on the rear driving axle might help...but it might not.

I suppose the alternative is to cheat - have the front pony truck and the centre axle rigid and let the rear axle swing. Probably not so easy with the coupling rods but it's a fairly short wheelbase - there's gotta be a way ;);)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

I think you will find that treating it as a pony truck would be the best bet for sharpe curves, it would only show up horrible in the curves as does any pony truck. But most of the time should look like it is meant to.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Gotcha, found it - he obviously had the 'wrong' loco rostered today :nerd::nerd::nerd:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes indeed, I do have a 2-4-2 Sharpie. Mine uses a Playmobil 0-4-0 motor block (because it was the nearest I could find for drivers size and spacing) with a pony truck each side.

Here she is when she entered service seven years ago. She now has a much more controllable Deltang receiver than that I installed at the time.

Rik

PS I was going to use her to test run the coach, but decided a combination of Cleminson undercarriage and pony trucks on hastily cleared leaf strewn track would be asking too much. It then got dark before I could give the Sharpie a run with the coach.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Finally got around to constructing a second Southwold Cleminson coach. Oddly enough this one seems to have taken longer than the first - possibly because I've been tweaking the design as I've gone along. Touch wood, I think I've got the 6-wheel undercarriage sorted, though I've not yet given both coaches a thorough test run together. Coach number three is currently being printed - thought it'll take a while as there's quite a few large parts to be done.
IMG_1834.JPGIMG_1836.JPGIMG_1838.JPGIMG_1839.JPGIMG_1840.JPG

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, not too far from your line being just SLR. Cue for a remodel, you could sort out some of the diffrences by thinking that the Tramway from Lowestoft was a 3ft Street Tramway with a bit of Railway at the extreme end and that the Middy was also a 3ft line both linking in to the SLR.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, not too far from your line being just SLR. Cue for a remodel, you could sort out some of the diffrences by thinking that the Tramway from Lowestoft was a 3ft Street Tramway with a bit of Railway at the extreme end and that the Middy was also a 3ft line both linking in to the SLR.
You are a very naughty man, Jon. I have no plans to remodel the PLR ...... yet! :think:

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You are a very naughty man, Jon. I have no plans to remodel the PLR ...... yet! :think:

Rik
Not sure that you would need to remodel that much, the Middy and Lowestoft connections could be imagineered as part of your existing line with some simple out of the box thinking. Oh and some fancy Timetable revisions?